cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hidden Hitch fasteners used on Gulfstream

jbr3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace a hitch on my motorhome. Gulfstream attached the OEM Hidden Hitch using a strange fastener. It's unlike any not and bolt I've ever seen. There is not nut on which I can put a wrench or socket. How does one remove these fasteners? They are fastened too strong (or rusted) to use a vise grip or channel lock pliers. Anyone have experience with these, is my best option to grind them off?

whole album can be seen here https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2U4Wwm
6 REPLIES 6

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something else to consider, since it was hucked on there by the factory, it is most likely a stuctual member for the frame.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
x3. They are huck bolts. They have good mechanical properties.

Are you replacing it with a similar hitch receiver? Or going to the E-series van receiver? Your frame will take the van receiver, and it will just bolt-in. The van receivers have way longer hanger arms, so the entire load isn't carry by the rear 2 bolts.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
They make Huck collar removal tools, but they are insanely expensive. Best bet is to cut them off. YouTube has vids.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is a Huck bolt, it really is not a bolt. Those are not really threads, they are rings, the collar is mechanically crimped on there. They are equivalent to a grade 12 bolt.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Those are a type of security bolt. The hex part would have been on the bottom where the end of the bolt sticks out. It's broken off after tightening them. Probably going to have to cut them off.