cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to do in Kentucky near these 2 state parks-suggestions?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We got lucky (I suppose), turned out I have a week vacation, so taking the last week in September. Leaving Central Indiana on Saturday and heading out for Boonsborough State Park, Saturday night through Tuesday night. Leaving Wednesday morning and spending Wednesday night through Saturday night at Taylorsville Lake State Park, both in Kentucky. Returning home Sunday.

So, we've traveled through these areas before, mostly on the interstates, but haven't spent any time in the areas.

So, other than the normal hiking and canoe rentals, any other "must sees" while we are in these areas.

What we are NOT interested in: Sports, heavy activities like zip lines or Amusement Parks or theme parks. Basically, we are aging a little now, and prefer the slower paced stuff. Enjoy site seeing, we still like to hike, boat rides and tours, natural attractions, historical, country music (my wife love Barry Manalow) .. (ugg)... trains, oddities, weird stuff, places no one never heard of before.... Any suggestions?

When we went to South Dakota, (Mount Rushmore area), you folks gave me a bunch of suggestions, many of them we ended up doing, or going to see. So, any suggestions for Kentucky?
12 REPLIES 12

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Boonsboro followup: Spent considerable time site seeing (driving tours). Been through Daniel Boone National Forest, Natural Bridge State Resort Park, Winchester, and of course, the Fort at Boonsboro State park and sites right there. Got one more day and then moving to Taylorsville on Wednesday. Not sure what the plans are for tomorrow. We're "winging" it! Lots of fun though!

I will say, these farms in these areas are REALLY impressive and beautiful! Huge horse farms, manicured immaculate! Large homes, absolutely beautiful country here.

Funny though, we have a massive amount of beef and steaks and such in the camper refrigerator, and haven't had hardly any of it. Been eating out at different places too much. Great food, local off-the cuff restaurants and such.

And breathtaking views of low rolling hills on some of the windiest back country roads, wide enough for a single car! Fabulous!

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
Distillery tours: Makers Mark, Whillite , Jim Beam. Mammoth cave, Natural bridge, Lincoln's birth place. Falls of the Ohio.
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

Shadow57
Explorer
Explorer
Taylorsville Lake is so close to Louisville you should be able to find many things to do. Churchill Downs starts the fall meet this week even if you don't like racing the museum is pretty cool. Louisville also has a nice walking bridge over the Ohio River & Louisville Slugger museum. I usually try to stay on the Indiana side so I can't think of more right now but have fun.
https://www.churchilldowns.com/calendar
2017 Forest River Forester 3051S

2014 Ram DRW 3500 Laramie Crew Cab

The_Kroc
Explorer
Explorer
lots to do in Bardstown: My Old Kentucky Home. all the Bourbon company tours. the train tour, and the Abbey of Gethsemani(Trappist Monastery). Also the Civil War site The Battle of Perryville is nearby. They have a re-enactment the first weekend of October

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Shaker Village Harrodsburg, KY

Double ditto:C
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Shaker Village Harrodsburg, KY

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
http://kyhorsepark.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=571&Itemid=264

http://kyhorsepark.com/

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I'd highly recommend Kentucky Horse Park CG.

First of all you are IN the park at a CG. Whether you like horses or not the different varieties of shows that run every day of all sorts of disciplines are just amazing to watch.

If you have a golf cart or toad or you can just walk to all the events. There are different attractions each month listed on their site.

There are also incredible museums on the grounds and shops for fine art and all types of other things to wander around in and buy. Each event also has vendors selling all types of items. DW would like that and you too.

The pavillion on the grounds of the CG also have many different types of clubs renting it. When I was there (and I forgot the name) a very unique square dancing competitive club was there. The music was great and the type of dancing was real upbeat with a lot of hoopin and stompin. Way different than the norm square dancing. I enjoyed two nights of that.

Every time I stop there on my way South for "just the night" I end up staying for a week there is so much to see! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, while staying at the Kentucky Horse park, I toured the Toyota assembly plant.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
This weekend Bardstown , Burbon Festival

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
This might get you started.
Renfro Valley, about 40 miles south might interest you.
If you like water falls, visit Cumberland Falls State Park. About a 100 miles south. Have dinner at the Lodge.
The natural bridge at Natural Bridge State Park is interesting. About 50 miles.
Kentucky Horse Park just north of Lexington is nice. Maybe 30-40 miles.
Four Roses Distillery. About 50 miles.
Shaker Village. About 40 miles.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

dieselbobcat
Explorer
Explorer
A Little bit of a drive... Birthplace of Lincoln NHS... Fort Knox/Patton Museum... Mammouth Caves... The Whistle Stop Resturant (Glendale, KY)
2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate 4X4 6.2L