cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Doggie Dentistry-Fillings, Crowns, etc.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Jesse has two cracked teeth-one is pretty bad, the other more minor. Both are being removed on Monday and he's also having a cleaning done since he'll be under anesthesia anyway. My question: This is being done at our regular vet's office. Expensive, but what can you do? Which leads me to my next question. There's a "doggie dentist" not far from here. His website claims he does crowns, fillings, can fix cracked teeth, etc. My regular vet mentioned him but warned he's outrageously expensive. My question is can dog's teeth be repaired in the same way as human's and is worth the expense? Dr. Doug, your thoughts or anyone else who has experience with this?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
14 REPLIES 14

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
Some years ago one of our Bouviers had broken a lower canine. We had a root canal done by a vet who did dentistry as a sideline. It worked perfectly. No crown, though. The vet was in Bridgeton, Maine. Well known in New England. Removing that large canine would have destabilized her jaw.
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I won't have a root canal myself. . . wouldn't put my dog through it. I had one. . . it was a breeze, but the tooth kept bothering me. Had to have it redone a year later. Then the real pain started. Almost landed in the ER. When I returned to the endodontist, he prepared to do it a third time. . . OOPS. I said NO WAY. Had it pulled that afternoon. Turns out it was cracked, so nothing anyone did would save that tooth. Expensive lesson.

I hope I never have to have any more dental work. If so, I'm incline to have them all pulled.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
I had Calvin's lower K-9 done / dental work and crown.

I received Calvin's mold of his teeth. DOC, took photos of before, then after it was shaped prior to placing the crown. I have a thread (my search function isn't working so I couldn't find the thread to post a link) re. his crown. Unfortunately I don't think the photos can be seen due to photobucket's greed.

Pops

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We've been on the road today, so sorry for the delay in answering.

No worries!

If it was a canine I think I would sell the house to save a canine.

Not a canine thankfully. They are both back teeth but not molars.

It's not about the money-it's more about results. I spent thousands on our bloodhound but ultimately saved his life. I also can't see putting a dog through a procedure that ultimately may need to be repeated or if it's failure can cause further harm.

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If it was a canine I think I would sell the house to save a canine.
That is the tooth that holds their tongue in.

My old timer lost the lower canine and it is just awful how he struggles with his tongue not working correctly it upsets him tremendously.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

dturm
We've been on the road today, so sorry for the delay in answering.

I've referred patients for root canals and crowns. It is pretty unusual that an owner can justify the cost. The one case that I remember was a police dog who needed his canine teeth to do his work. He was impressive with a gold crown.

As far as repairs being successful, you can't really totally prevent a dog from chewing. The forces are incredible and the potential for ruining an expensive repair is ever present.

As far as expense, I'd invite anyone to observe extraction of a "healthy" cracked or broken canine or 4th premolar in a dog. I've had many dentists remark on the comparative difficulty in canine extractions vs human extraction. I recently had a molar removed, it was cracked and the dental surgeon had to remove pieces. Even with that, it was a breeze compared to some I've done.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
as long as your spending the bucks, why not put a gold crown on?
bumpy

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would have my doubts. Fillings, crowns, etc., are put on weakened teeth. Dogs chew all sorts of things with no concern as to whether "it will damage their teeth". With a weakened tooth, that potential damage will be much greater.

In addition, if a filling or crown fall out, the dog can easily swallow and/or choke on it.

I would just pull the teeth.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My answer was go for a consult at the veterinarian dentist and ask that question.

Ummm. Sure. And what do you think he's going to say? Of course he's going to say it's worth it! It's like asking answering a woman if she asks if she looks fat in this dress! I'm looking for someone who may have experience. Further reading indicated that most places do it for "specialty" dogs like those who are trained for law enforcement, etc., but not generally for pets.

Douglas Adams

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
My answer was go for a consult at the veterinarian dentist and ask that question.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
My question is can dog's teeth be repaired in the same way as human's and is worth the expense?

This is my real question-can they truly be repaired in the same way as a human's?

Douglas Adams

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
As I said in another post I do not have a dog. I had a cat that needed dentistry. Went to a animal dentist. The fee was more expensive. However, they negotiated to a more reasonable number when I told them I could not justify the expense on the animal.
So If it were my dog I would have gone for a consult at the dentist.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind