cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24BH vs 28BH

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone - I would like to get some opinions on trailer size, we are targeting a 24BH (started at 18:R) for our family of four (wife, 2 yr old, 1 yr old), but are wondering if we should step up to something in the 28 ft range instead? The major difference is an added sofa and some extra floor space from what we can tell, is it worth the extra weight, length, and money for a family of our size? We will mostly be going to State Parks in MI, and my tow vehicle is an F150.
16 REPLIES 16

shfd739
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 24 ft model and wish we had the 28 ft. Having a sofa as a dedicated lounge space and extra sleeping space would be perfect now.
'17 Shadow Cruiser 240BHS
'08 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
‘07 NBS Silverado 2500 Dmax

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
the answers vary as much as the people here.

For us, 23 feet BH, no slide, and two kids was waaaaaay too cramped. We needed the 26 and slide to save us from each other.

🙂

YMMV

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
darsben1 wrote:
So can your PAYLOAD capacity handle the extra weight. Look for the payload on the sticker on the drivers side door jamb.

What configuration is your F150? Year, engine, rear end ratio, tow package or not, cab style?

2010, 5.4L , 3.73, not sure about tow package it has factory brake control and anti-sway, super crew.

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
We have a minilite 2504S. Love it for our family of four. Our boys are currently 4 and 6. It is great for our camping style as we stay in a mix of smaller national park sites and RV parks. In Banff and Jasper I find the sites that fit the big rigs are far from the playground, and proximity to the playground is important for my boys. I like our model as it has a Murphy bed which folds over the sofa, so we have a full proper bed at night and a sofa in the day. It takes about twenty seconds to fold the bed up or down with one hand. The Murphy bed is a proper bed, unlike a fold out. We pulled it three seasons with an 07 F150, and now pull it with a diesel F350. The F150 was enough truck, the F350 just matched other areas of our life better. Now that I have a bigger truck I am not wanting a bigger trailer. I love it. Only downfall with these liteweight trailers is the small water and sewer tanks.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
in ten years when the kids are much bigger, will you still have the same truck? I am betting NO, but everyone is different.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We're a family of 4 in a 24' box. Each summer, we do 40+ day trips. We removed the dinet and installed a residential reclining loveseat. The kids sit in bean bags when we're couped up.

Honestly, the pros of being shorter have outweighed the cons for us. Many times we've been thankful we could squeeze into a site and only once or twice has someone commented on space.

It's going to be a different answer for everyone, but we made the right one for us.

I agree with all that's been said about payload. As your kids grow, you'll have less and less margin...if you have any at all now.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michigan state parks tend to have some pretty big sites....at least the ones I have been to. I towed a 30 Aerolite with a 2006 F 150 with the 5.0 liter engine. It towed great. The weight sticker on the door assumes a full tank of gas and about a 150 lb driver. Depending on what you have (tow package, rear end ratio, etc) you should be fine. I do not worry so much about GVWR as I do rear axle and tire limits. I tend to also look at how far down the truck sags and where it ends up in comparison to the "stops" above the axle. With a weight distributing hitch, I bet it won't sag much.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If i had a family your size and your 150........
I would choose a non slide aluminum sided 26BH. If you pack light enough, your truck will handle it.
It will offer you, less weight than a slideout model with fiberglass sides and if you pack conservatively , manageable tongue weight which will be in the 900# range.
Remember, TW is distributed over all the axles with a WD hitch in use.
It offers you an island queen bed, sofa, dinette, bunks, and a bath large enough to get the job done.
This TT will roll down the road at 6500# or so , depending how you pack it.

If you read the Jayco owners forum, people who have this floorplan seem to be happy with the amount of room and storage it offers.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2018-Jayco-Jay-Flight-26BH-122115739

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
So can your PAYLOAD capacity handle the extra weight. Look for the payload on the sticker on the drivers side door jamb.

What configuration is your F150? Year, engine, rear end ratio, tow package or not, cab style?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be close on payload as the 575 dry tongue will be around 900-1000 in reality. Dont shy away because of that alone.

The length difference is more significant. The 28 model is probably 32' bumper to ball which can be very challenging for many State Park sites. And more challenging if this is your first TT.

Travel with a longer enclosed trailer is also more susceptible to wind effects. Time and time again, people do not feel stable towing that length trailer with a 1/2 ton without a Hensley or Propride hitch. They are expensive, but worth their weight when towing. Trust me! Or heck....any current user of them.

If you dont plan on spending actual living hours within and doing active State Park trips where you really only sleep in the unit except when its raining, then I'd go with the 24 hands down.

I speak reality having gone thru this exact experience, coming from a 23' TT and now having a 28' (32' total). We miss the 23' for general travel but love the 28 because we also use it as a living space (practically a 2nd home) far often more than we travel. The decision was practically made for us based on our actual use of the TT. So keep it real!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will like the added space, and a couch will be nice to relax while the kids are napping, or if it is raining.

Unfortunately I think they payload is going to really limit you, especially as the kids grow. Add the hitch, propane, batteries, food, toys, clothes etc to the camper, and you probably have 800-900lbs of tongue weight. That takes you to 250-350lbs of payload weight for the wife, kids, dog, firewood etc.

Unfortunately when you get in the 28' range you really need a payload of atleast 1400-1500lbs in most cases. That means you either need the max payload package in a 1/2 ton, or a 3/4 ton.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Shal36
Explorer
Explorer
If your rig can handle it, go longer. You'll appreciate the extra space.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Payload minus your family and gear in the truck is what's left for hitch weight. Is that the dry hitch weight? It will be much more in reality. I don't think's you'll have enough truck to carry the payload withing GVWR. If you don't go over the rear axle rating you should be fine.

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:

I believe so, payload is 1150, hitch weight is 575 for the larger trailer.