cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C leaning a little to starboard

jcb47769
Explorer
Explorer
I was following my class C (1994 Passport by Cobra) today, and noticed she leans a little to the passenger side while driving. Tire pressure or something more sinister? New owners, trying to figure this stuff out ๐Ÿ™‚
8 REPLIES 8

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed something similar when I looked at my travel trailer in the mirror while I was on the road. When I got off the road I discovered broken spring shackles on that side.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
My class C leans a bit on the drivers side. The 50 gallon water tank,which I usually keep 1/2full more if we think we might need to dry camp, generator,gray and black water tanks are on the drivers side.I try to keep 2 or 3 gallons of fresh treated water in each of the gray and black water tanks. With the floor plan it has they really didn't have a choice. We have put 25000 miles on it in the 2 years we've had it and all seems OK.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
stripit wrote:
I was taught that shocks don't carry weight, only reduce the bounce when the axle goes over a bump. I would actually get a ruler and measure the difference on a flat driveway and know for sure what it is we are dealing with. As others have said it might be normal, depending on how the rig was laid out for heavy stuff, could be a weak spring/broken spring, deflated air bag. Getting true corner weights at a truck stop is very difficult, better to find someone with scales designed for that kind of weighing.
The Escapees have a weight program and a set of scales for 4 corner weights in Congress, AZ which is not to far away from you. About 10 miles outside of Wickenburg on HWY 89. Look here for more information. Cost is usually around 40-50 dollars. We get the RV and motorcycle trailer weighed there every spring. Helped us a lot with balance.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
stripit wrote:
I was taught that shocks don't carry weight, only reduce the bounce when the axle goes over a bump. I would actually get a ruler and measure the difference on a flat driveway and know for sure what it is we are dealing with. As others have said it might be normal, depending on how the rig was laid out for heavy stuff, could be a weak spring/broken spring, deflated air bag. Getting true corner weights at a truck stop is very difficult, better to find someone with scales designed for that kind of weighing.

As far as truck scales. look up local ones vs truck stops. Usually not very busy .

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
A little leaning isn't unusual - the question is what is "little". You should note that many OEM shocks are pretty lousy and if your rig has the original shocks your overdue for some new ones. I upgraded my 92 with some Bilstein's and wished I had done it sooner. You should also note that tire pressure on RV's should be based on the weight of the rig (loaded for camping) not the max pressure listed on the outside of the tire - can make a significant difference in ride/comfort.
Kevin

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weak or broken spring. I would go underneath with a flashlight and compare one side to the other Look for rust between leaves, could indicate a break. Be sure water is empty to get a more reliable reading plus how much "stuff" in storage boxes.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
You could weigh each corner of the rig at a scale. You could have a lot of weight on one side versus the other.
So front right, front left , rear right, rear left.
It could be your water tank is on one side and causes the lean.
Does the rig have air bags and maybe one is deflated.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind