cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cataract surgery for diabetic dog?

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Update on Jimmy, our mini-poodle/mini-Aussie mix who was diagnosed about a year ago with diabetes.

The good news: the possible neuropathy that was making him "weird" (scared of his water bowl and certain areas of the floor) seems to have abated. The bad news: the cataracts came on with a vengeance and now his sight is extremely limited. The good news: he's a smart guy and he's learning new vocal commands from his "seeing-eye-human" (me). "Be careful" means there's something in his path that he could stumble over - and he hits the brakes and proceeds cautiously. "Step up" and "step down" help him know what to expect. Stuff like that.

He's 9 years old and still playful and happy. Has anyone ever had cataract surgery for their dog? Does diabetes affect the outcome of cataract surgery? While I think he could live a happy life as a blind dog - if he would benefit from having at least one cataract removed, I would be willing to pay the probably-steep price of surgery, provided that it had a pretty good success rate.

Thanks!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
20 REPLIES 20

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Im happy that it worked out well for your Furkid. I wish you many more years of joy.
Im sorry for my morbid post but and I understand its not a death sentence for all pets but in some cases it is especially if you dont have the right vet, as was my case.Or if they have complications or other issues.
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

kapnkirk
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Walmart Novolin N also for our Dachshund, he has had diabetes since 6 years old and is 13 now, the DW monitors his blood sugar like a hawk, we have found the best control is his diet of course, he gets the same amount and type of meals every day and the 12 units of insulin has crept up over the years but if we only give him non carbs for snacks it seems to work.

The only thing that gets his blood sugar out of wack now is the trips to the vet, she told us the emotional trauma will also play havoc on their blood sugar so we make them as few as possible, we purchased a dog glucose monitor and can do his blood curves at home and that really helped in the beginning. My wife can just look at him now and knows if he is high or low from the normal.

A year ago he developed Glaucoma from the diabetes the vet says, cataracts are also there but the Glaucoma was worse, he started on drops 3 times a day but eventually she had to remove his left eye because the drops couldn't control the pressure and he was in pain. Now we are fighting the glaucoma in his right eye and on drops for that one, we are hoping he doesn't loose that one.

Going on nearly a year now with only one eye and that one is blind, but he goes about his routine pretty well, I am retired so I can keep him on a normal schedule, he doesn't get to go outside anymore by himself, he has a tendency to fall in the pool or get disoriented and wind up in the street. But he is happy and especially at meal times, camping is a little harder for him but he still loves riding in the truck and mom's cart behind her bike.

Good luck to all the diabetic animals of ours, it is definitely not a death sentence, just a little more attention and they get by pretty good, we are hoping for a lot more years with Duke the Daschund.

Keith

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
It is a hard thing to go through wanting the best for a pet and trying to do the right thing. Not everything is based on cost. My poor Mandi was sick and we took her to the vet and they did tests and said she was failing but they thought they could save her. Part of the problem was diabetes among other issues. Initially I wanted to put her down. I didnt want her to suffer. The vet talked me out of it. Couldnt get her sugar under control. 2 shots a day. Back to vet numerous times. I asked the vet if they could give me a prescription to buy insulin from a pet company in Florida which would have helped us greatly as bills were going skyward. They refused and said we have to buy from them even though the pet company had the SAME insulin.My poor Mandi went blind and lost her hearing and died in my arms 3 months later. I should have put her down.The vets were only interested in lining there pockets. I hope they rot in hell.
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
Scottiemom wrote:
I am on a canine diabetes forum and from the information and traffic there, I don't know of anyone who has even considered putting their pet down because of diabetes. Many of us use Novolin N from Walmart which is $24 for one vial. Our dog currently gets 9 units twice a day and a bottle last more than a month. Needles are $12.95 for 100, which is almost a 2-month supply.

I think the vet makes a big difference in the way pet owners approach their pet's disease. Education is the key.

I also had an epileptic dog. He had gran mal seizures. We eventually got them under control, but that is one condition where I have known people to put their dog down. Again, education is the key.

Dale

Just asked my wife about your insulin versus our 'for human' insulin. She told me that when we started the pup on insulin 5 years ago, it was Humalin and our vet and what she has read, switching insulin and going with something else after the pup is already on one type for a while, can have an adverse impact. In our situation an 'adverse impact' could be death and while it's expensive (30 units 2 times daily) at 130 bucks a hit, we can handle the expense.

IOW, we aren't changing anything at this juncture. She don't have that long to live anyway. In human years, she's 70 plus.

I will say that we will never get another dog. Getting to old for one and two, if something happened to us, who would take the responsibility or ownership.... no one.

Every dog we have had in the past 35 years has been a cast off, a stray. Out here where we live, in the country, people drop off their unwanted pets all the time and expect others to take care of them. People today cannot accept responsibility for the actions or their charges and frankly, I'm tired of assuming their responsibilities.

I never suggested you should change insulin. I merely pointed out some cheaper alternatives to people who might think the expense was not worth keeping their pet alive.

For our girlie, the expense is roughly $37/month and she is doing well on Novolin N from Walmart. As always, one should follow the advice of their trusted vet.

I do want to give fulltimers a "heads up." Indiana has passed legislation which requires you to have a prescription for your dog's insulin. I believe the only other state that has that law is Alaska. That was with a small bit of searching, so don't hold that for gospel. But since we spent the summer in Indiana this year, I had to get the vet to write a prescription. Our girlie was diagnosed in Texas so no prescription needed there.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
Our rottweiler is heading into her third year as a diabetic in early Oct. She is on a human insulin called Levemir. At the time the vet said it was the latest and greatest. So far she has no diabetic type issues.

We keep her sugars under control and we do regular blood testing. She still thinks she is a puppy which is good although sometimes she pays for it.
Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that Walmart's price vs what I would pay at my local pharmacy, was a pleasant surprise! And no prescription needed.

Once in a great while, accommodating Jimmy's twice-daily shots, is a pita. I would only end his life if he was suffering. Otherwise, I can't imagine not having his silly self at my side. Ed and I laughed this afternoon, he had found a stick in the yard, and in true Jimmy form, had done a "happy dance" and then gave it a toss. Only now he can't see where it went. He diligently searched, sniffing, for THAT particular stick. It took about 20 minutes, but he found it....then tossed it again. ( bang head)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I am on a canine diabetes forum and from the information and traffic there, I don't know of anyone who has even considered putting their pet down because of diabetes. Many of us use Novolin N from Walmart which is $24 for one vial. Our dog currently gets 9 units twice a day and a bottle last more than a month. Needles are $12.95 for 100, which is almost a 2-month supply.

I think the vet makes a big difference in the way pet owners approach their pet's disease. Education is the key.

I also had an epileptic dog. He had gran mal seizures. We eventually got them under control, but that is one condition where I have known people to put their dog down. Again, education is the key.

Dale

Just asked my wife about your insulin versus our 'for human' insulin. She told me that when we started the pup on insulin 5 years ago, it was Humalin and our vet and what she has read, switching insulin and going with something else after the pup is already on one type for a while, can have an adverse impact. In our situation an 'adverse impact' could be death and while it's expensive (30 units 2 times daily) at 130 bucks a hit, we can handle the expense.

IOW, we aren't changing anything at this juncture. She don't have that long to live anyway. In human years, she's 70 plus.

I will say that we will never get another dog. Getting to old for one and two, if something happened to us, who would take the responsibility or ownership.... no one.

Every dog we have had in the past 35 years has been a cast off, a stray. Out here where we live, in the country, people drop off their unwanted pets all the time and expect others to take care of them. People today cannot accept responsibility for the actions or their charges and frankly, I'm tired of assuming their responsibilities.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone, for the thoughtful replies and experiences shared. Overall, I'm not getting the feeling that surgery on a diabetic dog is a gratifying thing for them or the owners. My own (diabetic) mother had cataract surgery which gave her clear sight for a few years, but then the diabetes went to work on the optic nerves, and she STILL went blind. So that's one thing I was concerned with - if Jimmy is doomed to be blind anyway, I won't put him through the surgery. Since he still makes out "contrasts", I have outlined the black steps on our van with white tape; and the edge of the step off our deck, with a bright aluminum trim strip. A funny side effect of this is that he jumps the cracks in the concrete....LOL! He seems to be accepting his poor eyesight, and yes, using his nose/ears a lot more. Also is adapting to NOT bonking his nose on things by carrying his head down so if he bumps something, it's with his forehead - smart boy 🙂 Overall, he's his usual happy self.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs rely more on smell than on sight and do amazingly well even when totally blind.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Our Vet told us that we'd be lucky if our pup lived 2 years past her being diagnosed with sugar. She's in her 5th year now. Slowing down and more dependent on us but still trucking along and for us, that is all that matters.

One thing that always concerned me was if she was in any distress which she never is. She exhibits some nerve damage in her right rear from the sugar as well as the cataracts but the nerve damage only causes her leg to twitch if she lays the wrong way, so no distress for her is no distress for us.

She sleeps about 22 hours a day now. She has never went in the house, always goes to the door to go out in her yard. We built her a ramp to get up and down from the porch, she cannot do steps.

Whatever it takes to make her happy and comfortable.

According to our Vet, when most pet owners find out their pets have sugar and what the continuing costs are, the majority of them put their pets down. The insulin alone for our pup is 260 bucks a month syringes not included plus 45 every 2 weeks for her accupuncture ( to help with her nerve damage) and a B12 shot, not including the special diet and other meds. I can see why people cannot afford it.

Been going on for 5 years now, that is a lot of jack, but she's worth every penny and more. We cannot put a price on her happiness and devotion to my wife and I.

I tell my wife, she's a walking drugstore.

Sounds to me that your Pup is lucky to have you and DW in her life. Wishing the best for all involved.

Lakeside

That goes both ways but you already know that....

One day at a time buddy....
2015 Backpack SS1500

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Our Vet told us that we'd be lucky if our pup lived 2 years past her being diagnosed with sugar. She's in her 5th year now. Slowing down and more dependent on us but still trucking along and for us, that is all that matters.

One thing that always concerned me was if she was in any distress which she never is. She exhibits some nerve damage in her right rear from the sugar as well as the cataracts but the nerve damage only causes her leg to twitch if she lays the wrong way, so no distress for her is no distress for us.

She sleeps about 22 hours a day now. She has never went in the house, always goes to the door to go out in her yard. We built her a ramp to get up and down from the porch, she cannot do steps.

According to our Vet, when most pet owners find out their pets have sugar and what the continuing costs are, the majority of them put their pets down. The insulin alone for our pup is 260 bucks a month syringes not included plus 45 every 2 weeks for her accupuncture ( to help with her nerve damage) and a B12 shot, not including the special diet and other meds. I can see why people cannot afford it.

Been going on for 5 years now, that is a lot of jack, but she's worth every penny and more. We cannot put a price on her happiness and devotion to my wife and I.

Sounds to me that your Pup is lucky to have you and DW in her life. Wishing the best for all involved.

Lakeside

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had an elderly dog that went blind. She did just fine as long as she was in an area she knew. She was small, so we just carried her if we were in a strange area.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Backpack SS1500