cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get to long beach

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
We are in barstow, ca. We want to go to Long Beach or there abouts. We are just interested in seeing the Pacific Ocean.We aren't going to spend the day there.

Can anyone help us with a route, and where to park, just long enough to walk along the beach and take a few pictures, then move on?

We're in a 26ft motorhome, with no toad.

We're going to get on I15 westound. Hope someone can help us from there. Thank you.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
10 REPLIES 10

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
RE_Todd wrote:
Seal Beach is also nice. You can park in one of the store parking lots on PCH and walk to the pier. South of LAX on the 405.

Seal beach is where we went. Easy parking, not crowded. We walked along the beach and the pier. Finally made it to the Pacific ocean.

Thanks to all.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Long Beach is probably the only place that I wouldn't go in the LAX area to see the beach. Orange County, or LA county north of Palos Verdes would be my choices.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
If you actually get onto the beach watch out for globs of crude oil/tar, they will ruin a pair of shoes worse than dog poop. I have found the crude oil land mines on all the LA beaches. Easy to avoid but hard to remove once stepped on.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Long Beach is 6 miles long. Huntington Beach is nicer for tourists.

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great info.It will make our trip much easier.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Seal Beach is also nice. You can park in one of the store parking lots on PCH and walk to the pier. South of LAX on the 405.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for Huntington over LB.

15S, 91E, 55S, 1N (PCH)

Huntington State or city beach will have ample parking (small fee). Lots of sand and good waves.

HUGE traffic coming in 91/55 on a weekday morning. Saturday/Sunday morning would be great.

Can continue North to Seal Beach Blvd to catch back on the 405 and continue your journey.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I'd go to Huntington Beach (and I do). It's Surf City. Lots to see and do. Wonderful restaurants at both ends of the pier. Lots of shopping. There is RV parking available in the parking lots next to the beach. Best place to get the beach experience.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Try to do this on Tuesday through Thursday
Leave so you won't hit the LA area until after 9AM, 10am is better. This will keep you out of the commuter traffic.
I-15 to I-10 to 710 freeway south to Long Beach. Long Beach is mostly a protected harbor but there are beaches south of the main part of the city.
Take the Ocean Bl exit and head south past downtown Long Beach. You'll find parking along Ocean and some parking lots.

To avoid traffic and see better beaches you might consider heading to Malibu or Ventura instead. These are more traditional California Beaches with less traffic and better parking options.

Do a Google search for Rincon Parkway in Ventura. This would be my choice. Besides camping spots there are lots of day use areas.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Of all the beaches in our fair state, I wouldn't pick Long Beach. No waves, low water quality all due to the WWII breakwater.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad