cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

onan marquise gold 5500 gen

alaguilar08
Explorer
Explorer
will start and run for a few seconds and stop. Just installed new carbruator. will it run without fuel filter? or buy another.
8 REPLIES 8

alaguilar08
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to thank all involved with my 5500 gen problems (carb gummed up). Cleaned the carb and adjusted the throttle, runs fine.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Possible suspects are fuel issues, Oil level and the generator section of the assembly....

First: When it stops the LIGHT will blink, note the pattern of the blinks and write it down, It is USUALLY a 2 digit number like 3-2 3-2 3-2

YOu can look up the code but alas can be a tad cryptic

I have a friend who had bad brushes. the unit was not making with the 120vac So the code was "Batteries low or cranking speed too slow" which we knew was NOT the case (That's what I mean by cryptic).

But post the code and if you have it the translation.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

alaguilar08
Explorer
Explorer
alaguilar08 wrote:
will start and run for a few seconds and stop. Just installed new carbruator. will it run without fuel filter? or buy another.

bounder39zman
Explorer II
Explorer II
do you know how to read fault codes on your gen? your problem may well not be fuel related, but a problem in generator end or controls. If the generator is not producing electricity, due to a problem in gen end, it will give same symptoms you describe. If you have an operator's manual, you can read how to get fault code any time genset shuts off. That will help you to know which system is failing. You may simply need to clean rotor slip rings and inspect field brushes. Or possibly more complicated problem such as open/shorted rotor or stator, or bad control board. as for running with or without fuel filter, note that first fuel filter is at fuel pump inlet, and ONAN has done away with filter at carb. on replacement carbs.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Why did you Install a new carburetor? How did it run before you installed it?i

Ltrip
Explorer
Explorer
"will start and run for a few seconds"
My issue was slightly different. Mine would run for a few minutes, quit and not start for several minutes. I did my research and replaced the fuel pump and filter. Runs fine now!
Larie Trippet Reno/Tahoe region
2018 Ford F250 Lariat Ultimate CC SB 4X4 diesel
2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
2019 BMW R1250RT

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
It also could be low oil level,
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer