cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Watch out for loose junk in your truck bed

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may have seen this story, but it is interesting -- someone left a ratchet strap in his truck bed. It eventually flew out and wrapped around his driveshaft, somehow, causing thousands of dollars in damage.

Full story
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
28 REPLIES 28

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
History..

car crash test in the 1950's a tissue box on rear window shelf..
could shatter the front windshield..

Ha! We used to ride back there as kids......that's when we weren't sitting on Dad's lap steering the car.

Mythbusters disproved that, not enough mass.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
While your loading stuff in your bed and not tying it down just think about this....You can buy a new drive shaft, some of us ride motorcycles and cant buy new heads when that junk hits us!

So tired of people not thinking about their loads, mattress' on the roof of a mini van held on with thread. ladders on work van roofs secured with a bungee cord!

Yes I see it all during my daily ride. last month I was behind a work truck that had hammers hanging off its headache rack...they were hanging off a bungee cord!
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Caveman, good idea, but it is very hard to fix stupidiity. It is very common to see debris from ladders, gardening tools, etc., on the freeways.
About our trailer

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
There are a lot of mattresses on the LA Freeway system at the end of every month -- folks moving from one apartment to another and strapping their old mattresses to the roof of the car with twine. Weekend afternoons are prime time for this trick.

They hit the freeway and the twine snaps. The fun begins.

This is a known issue -- I have even heard the traffic reports on the radio refer to "the usual end of the month mattress problem" as the cause of tie-ups.

I don't know if this happens in other places the way it does here.

WOW.... Maybe the LA police should run some public warning advertisements to encourage people to stop doing this.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of mattresses on the LA Freeway system at the end of every month -- folks moving from one apartment to another and strapping their old mattresses to the roof of the car with twine. Weekend afternoons are prime time for this trick.

They hit the freeway and the twine snaps. The fun begins.

This is a known issue -- I have even heard the traffic reports on the radio refer to "the usual end of the month mattress problem" as the cause of tie-ups.

I don't know if this happens in other places the way it does here.
About our trailer

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in the late 80s a coworker told me the story of his friend who owned a pickup truck. He had a load in the bed and covered it with a tarp that was tied down. The tarp was too long, so he stuffed the excess between the bed and cab. While driving, the excess tarp vibrated down between the bed and cab until it wrapped around the driveshaft. The tarp was securely tied to the bed and did not rip or let loose. The driveshaft instantly stopped, locking up the rear wheels and putting the truck sideways into a skid. The force of locking up the shaft instantly caused the frame to bend until the top of the bed was touching the cab. Lots of expensive damage (new frame). Foryunately nobody got hit by his uncontrollable truck before it finally stopped.

Steve

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
History..

Ha! We used to ride back there as kids......that's when we weren't sitting on Dad's lap steering the car.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timtation wrote:
Several years ago I was accelerating (GMC 1500) in the merge lane, saw my opening just as I saw what may be a dead deer ahead in my lane. No time to change into the freeway, locked up the wheels and found the deer was an innerspring mattress. It wrapped around the drive-shaft, locked the rear wheels, put me into a slide that somehow I controlled within the lane but scared heck out of next lane cars. Eventually I was able to get to the shoulder using both reverse and low. Had it towed home on a flat bed and it took three days and a second bolt cutter to get the mattress off the drive shaft. Shaft and undercarriage probably was never cleaner.

I saw a picture on the internet of someone who had run over a mattress and it got wrapped around the driveshaft. It must happen fairly often I guess.

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago I was accelerating (GMC 1500) in the merge lane, saw my opening just as I saw what may be a dead deer ahead in my lane. No time to change into the freeway, locked up the wheels and found the deer was an innerspring mattress. It wrapped around the drive-shaft, locked the rear wheels, put me into a slide that somehow I controlled within the lane but scared heck out of next lane cars. Eventually I was able to get to the shoulder using both reverse and low. Had it towed home on a flat bed and it took three days and a second bolt cutter to get the mattress off the drive shaft. Shaft and undercarriage probably was never cleaner.

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
We avoid this kind of problem by using our Ridgeline's in-bed trunk. Locked and water tight. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Good post. On my way to Florida a few years ago, I couldn't avoid a steel cable on the road. It did just that, wrapped around my drive shaft. Fortunately I was able to avoid disaster but it was a pain to get it off.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
History..

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
An empty fuel drum bounced out of a speeding pickup and rolled into my parents yard. 30 bucks in my pocket.:B Lots of good stuff to be picked up along the highway but people have been killed or seriously hurt from unsecured items in truck boxes and open trailers. Violations will net stiff fines here too.

campinia
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand, my brother-in-law in Texas calls empty gas cans, raincoats, and other stuff blown out of the bed of pickemup trucks "treasures". ๐Ÿ˜„

I had to laugh at this, it made me picture "Cousin Eddy" from the National Lampoon shows!
2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT 2500HD Z71 4X4 6.0 Gasser
2018 Keystone Passport Ultra Light 175BH
Champion 3100W Inverter Generator
2018 Pescador Pro 10 Fishing Kayak
2018 Old Town Topwater 106 Fishing Kayak