cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hard Boiled Eggs that peel great every time.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,
We've been using this technique in our food business for several years and it works 100% of the time regardless if you use fresh eggs, older eggs, or whatever. The shells come off in 2 large pieces with no sticking. When we need to peel 100's of eggs, we need to do it quickly.

If you have a technique that works for you, that's fine. This has always worked for us so I'll pass it along. One thing that is different with this technique is the eggs are always added to boiling water, never cold water:

โ€ข BRING POT OF WATER TO BOIL FIRST
โ€ข TAKE EGGS DIRECTLY FROM REFRIGERATOR
โ€ข PLACE EGGS IN POT WITH LARGE SPOON/LADLE
โ€ข BOIL FOR 13 MINUTES EXACTLY
โ€ข REMOVE FROM HEAT AND RUN COLD WATER OVER EGGS FOR ABOUT A MINUTE.
โ€ข NEXT COOL DOWN EGGS WITH ICE AND LET COOL FOR 15 MINUTES
โ€ข PEEL EGGS IMMEDIATELY, VERY IMPORTANT.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
37 REPLIES 37

booo193
Explorer
Explorer
Hi!
I found good advice How Long to Boil Eggs - How Long to Boil Eggs
Maybe it will help someone.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
definitely use "B" oil for eggs .... that's the only way to get hard Boiled eggs.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is as entertaining as an "OIL" thread.
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe in the Easter Bunny anymore; the Tooth Fairy told me not to.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
hard boiled a bunch of eggs this weekend. they turned out soft of funny looking when I peeled off the shell, they were red/blue/green/etc.
bumpy

Were they from the Easter Bunny?

yep, and there were some chocolate bunnies also.
bumpy

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
hard boiled a bunch of eggs this weekend. they turned out soft of funny looking when I peeled off the shell, they were red/blue/green/etc.
bumpy

Were they from the Easter Bunny?
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the cold water and my dad always said the same thing; fresh eggs are harder to peel. Problem is according to a friend that worked in the industry is that eggs can be considered "fresh" up to 14 days before they're packed. So I ignore the date.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
"Turning off the heat immediately after the water comes up to a boil, the water will slowly drop some temperature over the 10-15 minutes and still will be well above scalding which means the eggs are still cooking but at a slower pace. Try it before poo pooing it."

No doubt that probably works too. My point was there's never a green yoke or sulfur taste. Taste is always perfect and the eggs appear to be perfectly cooked and not over cooked. The green ring is caused by over cooking the eggs

They peel easily too which was what I was looking for initially.

Looks like there's more than one way to hard boil an egg!

Run COLD water over the eggs while peeling works great.

Also have heard that using slightly older eggs tends to peel easier, fresher eggs tend to be a bit harder to peel but running cold water while peeling will assist in the process.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
"Turning off the heat immediately after the water comes up to a boil, the water will slowly drop some temperature over the 10-15 minutes and still will be well above scalding which means the eggs are still cooking but at a slower pace. Try it before poo pooing it."

No doubt that probably works too. My point was there's never a green yoke or sulfur taste. Taste is always perfect and the eggs appear to be perfectly cooked and not over cooked. The green ring is caused by over cooking the eggs

They peel easily too which was what I was looking for initially.

Looks like there's more than one way to hard boil an egg!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
This topic also gets lots of attention on another forum which I frequent.

I use Mom & Grandmaโ€™s method & Iโ€™ll stay with it. They boiled room temperature eggs for 11 minutes, turned off heat, allowed pan to stay where it was, check back in an hour or so (they were busy farm wives) then drain away water & peel. They made lots of egg salad since they both had chickens & sold eggs. I think they bought their groceries & paid the electric bill with the โ€œegg checkโ€.

My favorite item to take to a bereaved family is 2 dozen eggs made into egg salad & 2 dozen home baked buns. (Can use Rhodes Texas size frozen buns & bake them yourself).

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:

If they had green yokes she was overcooking the eggs and doing something very different. Especially if they were dry and had a sulfur taste, she was not doing it the way I do it, guaranteed. Green yokes are a big no-no in our house.

My method produces bright yellow yokes every time, 100% percent of the time, and the shells slide right off 2-3 big pieces. The eggs are never overcooked.

My way is not the only way; if you have a method that works for you stick with it.

13 minutes to the second, my Mom, never deviated from her recipes, if it called for a "level" teaspoon of something, by golly that IS what she put in, if it called for 13 minutes, it WAS 13 minutes she used, she was extremely precise when it came to cooking food.

There is absolutely no need to keep the water boiling for 13 minutes, I can assure you of that.

Boiling means you are maintaining a min of 212 F degrees for 13 minutes, that is entirely too much heat for too long.

Turning off the heat immediately after the water comes up to a boil, the water will slowly drop some temperature over the 10-15 minutes and still will be well above scalding which means the eggs are still cooking but at a slower pace.

Try it before poo pooing it.

Using the method I gave above, you simply cannot "over cook" the eggs, in fact you can let them set in the pot for 15-20 minutes with that water and still never over cook them.

We like a min of 12 minutes on ours with this method, 10 minutes sometimes results in a slightly under cooked yolk if using Jumbo eggs.

In fact, just did a dozen tonight, with perfect results (I would post a picture but DW and DD have already "deviled" them for tomorrows meal so the evidence is lost)! :B

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Hi Folks,
We've been using this technique in our food business for several years and it works 100% of the time regardless if you use fresh eggs, older eggs, or whatever. The shells come off in 2 large pieces with no sticking. When we need to peel 100's of eggs, we need to do it quickly.

If you have a technique that works for you, that's fine. This has always worked for us so I'll pass it along. One thing that is different with this technique is the eggs are always added to boiling water, never cold water:

Yuck.

This is the method that my Mom used when I was growing up.

It makes THE WORST TASTING OVER COOKED DRY EGG YOLKS YOU CAN GET. It also creates a greenish black color layer on the yolk surface between the yolk and white. Over all the eggs have a "sulfur" taste and smell.

Growing up, I HATED anything to do with hard boiled eggs, no amount of "deviling" mixture could hide that sulfur smell and taste.

It wasn't until a tried a method that I saw on a Rachel Ray show that I finally enjoyed hardboiled eggs, the yolk is cooked to perfection, is not dry and zero greenish black color on the yolk and best of all zero sulfur smell or taste..

Rachel Ray hard boiled egg method

" Follow these steps and you will have fool proof, easy to peel hard boiled eggs every time:

1) Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water by about an inch.

2) Bring water just to a boil, then cover pan and remove from the heat.

3) Let eggs sit in covered pan of water for ten minutes, then drain and rinse in cool water until eggs are cool to the touch.

4) Peel under cold water.

5) Enjoy!"

If they had green yokes she was overcooking the eggs and doing something very different. Especially if they were dry and had a sulfur taste, she was not doing it the way I do it, guaranteed. Green yokes are a big no-no in our house.

My method produces bright yellow yokes every time, 100% percent of the time, and the shells slide right off 2-3 big pieces. The eggs are never overcooked.

My way is not the only way; if you have a method that works for you stick with it.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ron3rd wrote:
Hi Folks,

Yuck.

This is the method that my Mom used when I was growing up.

It makes THE WORST TASTING OVER COOKED DRY EGG YOLKS YOU CAN GET. It also creates a greenish black color layer on the yolk surface between the yolk and white. Over all the eggs have a "sulfur" taste and smell.

Growing up, I HATED anything to do with hard boiled eggs, no amount of "deviling" mixture could hide that sulfur smell and taste.

It wasn't until a tried a method that I saw on a Rachel Ray show that I finally enjoyed hardboiled eggs, the yolk is cooked to perfection, is not dry and zero greenish black color on the yolk and best of all zero sulfur smell or taste..

Rachel Ray hard boiled egg method

" Follow these steps and you will have fool proof, easy to peel hard boiled eggs every time:

1) Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water by about an inch.

2) Bring water just to a boil, then cover pan and remove from the heat.

3) Let eggs sit in covered pan of water for ten minutes, then drain and rinse in cool water until eggs are cool to the touch.

4) Peel under cold water.

5) Enjoy!"