cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good campground close to Penn State?

Danpaine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everybody. Looking for a good campground as close to Penn State Main Campus (State College, PA, Centre County) as I can. My daughter is graduating from there in the Spring, and hotel prices are absolutely outrageous. Since we have the motorhome, I figure working the event into a camping trip may be a good idea.

Any recommendations appreciated. Thank you.
2016 Forest River Forester
15 REPLIES 15

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Bald Eagle Lake State Park is about 30 miles away. Great campgrpund, lot's of room between sites. Some full hookups, some electric. Nice lake with beach. Lots of room between sites.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Shultzy wrote:
Also take a look at Fort Bellefonte Campground near the KOA. We used to stay there on game weekends.

X3 Great campground
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
My sister lives in Bellefonte so we've always stayed at Gram & Paps / Fort Bellefonte. It's ok, but I always thought it was a bit overpriced for what you get.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Danpaine
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Bucky.

I'm just glad we were able to get something out there, we definitely got lucky. Turning it into a long-weekend camping trip, too. Bonus.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just left the Bellefonte KOA last week. Very well kept up, nice people.
There is another camground slightly closer to I80 named Gram and Paps.
We rode thru, it was also nice. The spots were a little larger than the KOA but does that matter at an event like a graduation?
Puma 30RKSS

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Check out RVparkreviews.com there may be a small campground not too far away.
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA is our choice when we camp in the area. Nice place. I think you were lucky to book a site - they fill up fast.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Danpaine
Explorer
Explorer
If they did open up the RV tailgating lot for that, I bet it would cost more than staying at a campground; when we went out for the Temple game last year, three days out there cost me $400. It was a great experience, though.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Danpaine wrote:
Hi Everybody. Looking for a good campground as close to Penn State Main Campus (State College, PA, Centre County) as I can. My daughter is graduating from there in the Spring, and hotel prices are absolutely outrageous. Since we have the motorhome, I figure working the event into a camping trip may be a good idea.

Any recommendations appreciated. Thank you.

I wonder if they might open the on campus camping option like they do for home football games. Would make sense and make some extra $$$ for the college.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Shultzy
Explorer
Explorer
Also take a look at Fort Bellefonte Campground near the KOA. We used to stay there on game weekends.

Danpaine wrote:
Just booked the KOA up there for graduation weekend. Place is almost full already, and it's happening next MAY!

Thanks again for that hook-up, Ford Truck Guy. Much appreciated.

Glad you got a spot
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Danpaine
Explorer
Explorer
Just booked the KOA up there for graduation weekend. Place is almost full already, and it's happening next MAY!

Thanks again for that hook-up, Ford Truck Guy. Much appreciated.

Danpaine wrote:
We're in Levittown, Lower Bucks. Thanks for the links!

another one from Levittown... I know another on here from there.. I am in Chruchville
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Danpaine
Explorer
Explorer
We're in Levittown, Lower Bucks. Thanks for the links!