cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon North Rim

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Like so many, we have visited the South rim many times as we live close to it. (some 135 miles from the main gate)
But we have never been to the North Rim which I understand is very different.
Made reservations for the end of Oct and hope it does not snow very heavy. Then again, the South Rim is something many have not seen with lots of snow.
We have and it's recommended.
2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
7 REPLIES 7

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Hopefully it will still be open. I came up with eight lanes for traffic to get into the South Rim plus the railroad. There is only one lane for the N Rim and I've never been more than the second in line (If there was a line) to get in. I would try to go early OCT even if you cannot get reservations staying outside the park.

^^^^^Good Info ^^^^^

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/hours.htm

As a kid we went a couple times to the North Rim - the Morning Buffet Breakfast was a childhood memory one that I really kept - so when my son needed to spend a summer in college on an Internship in California we drove out - and stopped - June 6th with 3-6" of snow , had Breakfast Buffet as the clouds, rose out expose the beauty, he has never forgotten it.

So if possible get in before they close down on the 15th, just nice to have them still open - you can Boondock all over the place.

Love the North Rim - Kanab - Page - Lake Powell - Zion and Bryce this time of Year.

Best of Luck,

Interesting. I got in during the last of the period that they take reservations. Of course that means nothing if they get significant snow.

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Have you thought about boondocking out on the Rainbow Rim in the Kaibab Natl Forest?

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Have you thought about boondocking out on the Rainbow Rim in the Kaibab Natl Forest?

No, but we could as there are no hookups in the park anyway.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Hopefully it will still be open. I came up with eight lanes for traffic to get into the South Rim plus the railroad. There is only one lane for the N Rim and I've never been more than the second in line (If there was a line) to get in. I would try to go early OCT even if you cannot get reservations staying outside the park.

^^^^^Good Info ^^^^^

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/hours.htm

As a kid we went a couple times to the North Rim - the Morning Buffet Breakfast was a childhood memory one that I really kept - so when my son needed to spend a summer in college on an Internship in California we drove out - and stopped - June 6th with 3-6" of snow , had Breakfast Buffet as the clouds, rose out expose the beauty, he has never forgotten it.

So if possible get in before they close down on the 15th, just nice to have them still open - you can Boondock all over the place.

Love the North Rim - Kanab - Page - Lake Powell - Zion and Bryce this time of Year.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
We were just there last month for the first time and we loved it. Are staying in the Park?
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.