cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lube on Power Gear Hydraulic Jacks

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
When reviewing the Maintenance Procedures for the Power Gear jacks, I noted that the manufacturer recommended using white lithium grease on the seal lube points after 30 cycles of the jacks.

I checked and sure enough, near the seal of each jack, just above the movable hydraulic ram, there is a zerk fitting buried under road grime!

Has anyone here ever lubed these fittings? What would be the proper procedure? Can I use by good-old grease with a lithium cartridge or do I run the risk of blowing the seal with overpressure?

Thanks.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad
2 REPLIES 2

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Lube goes in the bottom collar. You inject until you see the lube come out the BOTTOM seal. Just as it starts to ooze. That will NOT blow out a seal. The MAIN thing it fixes/helps is RETRACTION. Sometime PG jacks fail to retract the last 1 inch or so. THAT will cause LOW fluid in the reservoir and activate the Jack Down light sensor. So, you inject lube in the Zircs and that fixes the problem. Once you do it once, you will probably not have to do it again. PG does NOT inject the collars at the Factory, so they all come dry. Doug

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
They wouldn't have put them there if they weren't meant to be lubed. But...somewhere there is documentation that tells how many squirts to give them. You should do some more documentation digging to find it.

I had Power Gear Jacks (circa '94), and I seem to remember that I did have someone lube them once in the 12 years I owned the rig. Don't own that RV anymore and don't recall the number of pumps, sorry.

The jacks and hydraulics were tough and the only problems I had were electrical.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.