cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Garage Door Size??

dfoxhoven
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm looking at building a home, unfortunatley, the development has HOA's which I'm not a fan of, but we're limited in our area and budget. With that being said, the builder can build me an RV garage 14x38 for my Travel trailer, which is fine with size as I don't plan on going bigger than that. However, the buildery wants to put a 10x12 door b/c they're concerned any bigger will scare potential buyers away from other homes. Granted my RV is only 8' wide, my concern is I'll be backing at a slight angle. Has anyone here had any success with a 10' wide RV garage door??
'13 Coachmen 310bhds
2005 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L SuperDuty
Daryl
Bri
Kaisen
Keelyn
Cabela and Tucker (Dogs)
19 REPLIES 19

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
With the mirrors on our Class A, the minimum width door we could have was 12 feet, and that left only a few inches if clearance. We decided to go with a 14 x 14 door, and are very happy we did. You can get any RV through that size door.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

ExxWhy
Explorer
Explorer
I have that exact size doors on my building, 12 high by 10 wide. It's pretty tight width wise, I always use a spotter. Height is fine for a TT, but we're positive there won't be a 5ver in our future. If I had to do it over again, I would suggest the 12' wide door.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
By the time you figure the door jambs and the weatherstrip stop that 10' wide will only be about 9'6".
That would give 9" of clearance on each side if you back perfectly right down the middle.

If you have only 9"6" net on a 10' garage door, somebody screwed up. Openings between the finish jambs are made to the overhead door size and then the weather strip is inside of that so maybe couple of inches less at most.

I always used a strip of doorstop and then the weatherstrip. While most around here use only the weatherstrip, on a very high door it looks ugly as each panel tilts as much as it can. With just a small amount of running clearance the panels are kept straight. Yes, some jamb the weather strip tight against the door, ignoring instructions, and the vinyl turns outward and has a short life.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
Hammerboy wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
By the time you figure the door jambs and the weatherstrip stop that 10' wide will only be about 9'6".
That would give 9" of clearance on each side if you back perfectly right down the middle.

If you have only 9"6" net on a 10' garage door, somebody screwed up. Openings between the finish jambs are made to the overhead door size and then the weather strip is inside of that so maybe couple of inches less at most.

But anyway, an 8' trailer and the awning makes it somewhat tight. I put in a 12' wide door and have plenty of room. It's also a 12' 9" high door (building built as high as covenants would allow) I can theoretically go as high as 13' but didn't want a tight radius track. I have a front bedroom AC and have about 3" to spare.

Dan

Dan

Not done that way around here. You would end up with your track brackets fastened to the jamb instead of the stud.

Hmmm... must have different types of garage doors out east. I don't have enough fingers and toes for the amount of garage openings I framed in over the past 30+ years with finished openings at the doors stated size. But one thing we can agree on is 10' door is too small :B

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
The wider the door the better .......You need to have a good view down both sides because once you start the rv into the door you could be blind as to what the rear is doing..........I painted orange stripes on my floor so I can see that the rv is tracking in the right direction and will end up where it needs to be to put the slides out on both sides......Get the highest door you can so in the future you can up grade to a 5th wheel.....

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Hammerboy wrote:
NJRVer wrote:

But anyway, an 8' trailer and the awning makes it somewhat tight. I put in a 12' wide door and have plenty of room. It's also a 12' 9" high door (building built as high as covenants would allow) I can theoretically go as high as 13' but didn't want a tight radius track. I have a front bedroom AC and have about 3" to spare.

Dan

Dan

Not done that way around here. You would end up with your track brackets fastened to the jamb instead of the stud.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV is 8.5 feet wide. and variable height

Door should be at least six inches HIGHER than RV (1 foot is better) and 1 foot wider than RV (agin more is better)

I would suggest a "2 car" garage with a double wide door RV height plus 1 foot if you can talk him into it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:

Dan

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Better to go 12' wide. 10' will be pretty tight with an angled approach. BTW you don't lose much of the opening so a 10' door should be close to 10' opening. You could get used to it. The weather strip should be the only intrusion into the width. As for height you should easily come up with a 13' door to fit with 14' ceiling.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
dfoxhoven, I'm 14'x14' on mine, and don't regret it for a minute!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I am across the river from you, why not get out a bit farther and breath free? In my opinion, those rules have no place in the life of an RVer.

I use a pole barn and like the idea of being able to open slides and the awning so it can quickly dry.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also not sure how a larger door on the same size building is going to scare away other buyers. How big are these lots?
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We live in an HOA but also on acreage, lots of detached RV garages in our neighborhood. I think you need to push your builder for a 12x14 door. The smaller size might be fine for you, but anybody with a 5th wheel will probably want a 14' door, and 10' is doable, but such a tight squeeze, anybody with a larger rig wouldn't like it that much.

We actually looked at a house that had a nice outbuilding, but the door was too short... made it a big negative for us. What was extra annoying was there was room to put a bigger door, they just didn't because they only had a boat.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor