cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water tanks hitting axles

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
I am fixing tire problems on my toy hauler by getting the axles aligned and the shop points out my two large water tanks are riding on the axles. I have seen this for a while but didn't think it was a problem. The guy at the shop stated we need to fix this before it rubs a hole in the tank. We are going to install shorter increased weight springs which may help but the tanks may still hit. He needs to bend all three axles up in the middle so I am curious if anyone has had a problem like this before and what you did? I don't want to flip the axles as it will make the ramp angle even steeper and the first step will be a problem for my wife. So does anyone have a good idea on how to support the tanks?
26 REPLIES 26

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Those straps are actually solid aluminium. Bolted.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
ATC is a correct and sanitary install.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
This is how ATC does it. 100 gallon tank.

see the upper bracket and how the tank has a "lip" that's what is actually holding up the tank. The strap/self tapper was put there in a weak attempt to keep the tank off the axles.

I used 1" square tube on my old Wanderer to fix the issue.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem on our 2012 Cyclone. I discovered the problem while trouble shooting a water leak. Both fresh water tanks had settled due to inadequate support which caused the crossover hose which connects the tanks to start leaking. I had new heavy duty supports fabricated by a local welding shop and added a fore/aft support to each tank. Thankfully I had an extended warranty that paid for the repair.
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
This is how ATC does it. 100 gallon tank.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
You lucked out with rubbing on the axles not wearing a hole in the tank(s) and then having to replace them.

If I were you, I'd run 2x2 angle iron under each side of the outside edge of the tank and drill the cross members and bolt it on through them with bolts, nuts and lockwashers with one inverted angle down the centerline of the tank (front to back).

You aren't the only victim. Many threads on the Forest river forum about tanks actually dropping out on the highway. Can you imagine driving behind an RV on the freeway and suddenly have a water tank appear right in front of you (following behind). Not good

Like I stated earlier, the manufacturer don't care, the units ship with empty tanks so there is no weight involved and plumbers straps work fine... when empty

There was even a couple threads where the owners had covered under belly's and the tanks were bowing the underbelly covering out...

Amazing how cheap the construction is.... and expensive the retail price is. Somebody is making a lot of money.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Believe me, they aren't at all ashamed of substandard work. Remember, they ship with empty tanks so the tanks weigh NOTHING and plumbers straps work fine.

What I'm amazed about is, there isn't more electric issues with RV's. They do the wiring to (maybe) residential standards, using residential fixtures and connectors. Problem with that is, an RV is in a continuous 'earthquake' as you go down the fine roads that America is festooned with.

Don't think any mass RV builder knows what a Molex connector is or vibration resistant fixtures. The wiring is all point to point with little (if any) consideration for vibration or external forces that an RV encounters every day it's in use, that a residence never encounters unless it's in an earthquake or Hurricane.
2015 Backpack SS1500

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
lamopar wrote:

Here is a picture of the middle axle and the tank riding on it. You can see the strap and also see how much lower the tank is than the frame rails. I will have to make the cross bracing and vertical supports to hold the tank. Should be easy with some angle iron and all thread and some bracing. I will tack the nuts so they don't come loose.

Wow.
That is just horrible.
Strap with self taping screws holding it.
They should be ashamed of themselves.
My supports have all thread that is attached to the frame and go through the box supports and held on by nuts.
I think there is 3 or 4 supports per tank.
I will have to take a pix.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
big buford wrote:
I used .120 wall 1 x 3 rectangular steel. fix it once...

So how many bars did you run under your tanks? I was thinking about 4 bars spread evenly across the tanks supported by all thread as my frame is more shallow than the tank is.

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
I used .120 wall 1 x 3 rectangular steel. fix it once...
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

lamopar
Explorer
Explorer
Yes we are looking at the entire support system right now. The shop doing the axle alignment stated the hangers are not operating properly and the springs are too long. This doesn't allow the hangers to move correctly. New springs are ordered and we will be installing them in a couple of weeks. I will check out the welds while I am under there tomorrow also. Thanks for pointing it out.

We are changing the springs out to a slightly more heavy duty in hopes to also raise the height a bit along with the shorter length should help as well. Maybe not a bunch but a bit. It will look a lot better with good steel hangers. I will post pictures when I get it all installed.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Here's the Northwood method; Steel channel spanning frame.

Looking at your spring hangers, I'd be taking a hard look at the MIG welds that attach the hangers to the frame rails. Being an accomplished welder and fabricator, they don't look very well done to me but it could just be the picture. Look like the typical 'bird poop' welds that LCI applies to their frame attachments.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
lamopar wrote:

Here is a picture of the middle axle and the tank riding on it. You can see the strap and also see how much lower the tank is than the frame rails. I will have to make the cross bracing and vertical supports to hold the tank. Should be easy with some angle iron and all thread and some bracing. I will tack the nuts so they don't come loose.

Yep, plumbers straps. Time for some real steel under there.
2015 Backpack SS1500

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
what crappy work.

My first TH had the same issue. I complained and they "fixed" it by adding two more angles but they were only secured with zip screws which eventually sheared off. I made some brackets using 1" square tube, two per tank on either side of the axle and secured to the frame with nuts/bolts.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX