cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running a 50amp line to plug into

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got rid of a hot tub on my deck that saw no use.
I have a 50 amp breaker for it in my panel. I checked the two hot legs at disconnect were hot tub was and have 240v,120v from each hot to ground and 0v from neutral to ground. Picked up some wire and a rv outdoor power outlet a 50 amp 14-50R.
Pluged in my progressive industries surge protector and it said all was good. Pluged into rv and blows breaker at panel.
I'm going to call my electrician buddy but looking for suggestions.
Here is a pic of the breaker that blows in the panel. It has a test button on it could that be the cause? To dark outside for any others.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
59 REPLIES 59

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mike:
I missed reading the original.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Did as you said and everything is good......WTF.
I'm going to let it sit awhile go and check again. Unplug and plug in a few times and see what happens.
No insta hot and there is nothing plugged into coach outlets.
OK maybe time to make a mental note and not worry about it. Good ground does keep you safe and the PI will verify the ground is always good. Hard to find an intermittent issue. With nothing plugged in on those inverter branch circuits it would seem to point to an issue with the inverter and could well be normal enough.

Ran the two roof tops for a couple hours,fridge is running as it is always on,used some 12v to draw down batteries and they are charging,pluged some lamps and drills into outlets and all is still good. I forget to try and use the inverter.
At work until tomorrow night see if it's still good then and if so try the inverter.
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Mike:
The photo you posted is Seimans, but the RV panel OP posted is Square D. The Seimans panel with 200 amp main is house type panel.

I think every photo was mine.
The 50amp breaker that was going to be replaced was the one in the 200amp panel with the attached gfi.
Nothing is being touched in the rv panel.
2015 Wrangler JKU

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike brez wrote:
I'm going to let it sit awhile go and check again. Unplug and plug in a few times and see what happens.
No insta hot and there is nothing plugged into coach outlets.
OK maybe time to make a mental note and not worry about it. Good ground does keep you safe and the PI will verify the ground is always good. Hard to find an intermittent issue. With nothing plugged in on those inverter branch circuits it would seem to point to an issue with the inverter and could well be normal enough.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mike:
The photo you posted is Seimans, but the RV panel OP posted is Square D. The Seimans panel with 200 amp main is house type panel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Ok shut off the two 20amp breakers and removed those two black wires on top.
Ems reads ok,turned on main 50amp breaker in Moho and flipped all breakers on one at a time and all good. Then turned on the two 20amp ones and still all good.
Went to re connect the two black and triped the 50amp gfi in my basement.
Good. Just a bit out of sequence to narrow it down.

Could still be the charging system, transfer switch, or something on the two branch circuits.

Diagram shows the two feeds as 525 (A/C pass through input) and 528 (power for charging system). With the 20a circuit breakers off reconnect one of the black wires at a time and hopefully identify which one is what.

If that holds then turn on the 20 amp breakers one at a time. I suspect the inverter charging system or the insta-hot. Unless you have something odd plugged in.

Or explain what you have done and let your electrician evaluate the rest.

No insta hot and there is nothing pluged into coach outlets.
2015 Wrangler JKU

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike brez wrote:
Ems reads ok,turned on main 50amp breaker in Moho and flipped all breakers on one at a time and all good. Then turned on the two 20amp ones and still all good.
Good. Just a bit out of sequence to narrow it down.

Could still be the charging system, transfer switch, or something on the two branch circuits.

Diagram shows the two feeds as 525 (A/C pass through input) and 528 (power for charging system). With the 20a circuit breakers off reconnect one of the black wires at a time and hopefully identify which one is what.

If that holds then turn on the 20 amp breakers one at a time. I suspect the inverter charging system or the insta-hot. Unless you have something odd plugged in.

Or explain what you have done and let your electrician evaluate the rest.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The 2 black wires in the RV panel are labeled Shore Guard. Perhaps they are connected to the Surge Protector shown on the wiring diagram.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
enblethen wrote:
He has a Square D Homeline panel, Who ever put the Eaton breakers in did it improperly.

X2
You beat me to it.

I thought it was a Siemens?
The cover and every breaker says Siemens on it.
I'm gonna get a Siemens instead of the square d

2015 Wrangler JKU

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
He has a Square D Homeline panel, Who ever put the Eaton breakers in did it improperly.

X2
You beat me to it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
time2roll wrote:
OK looks like the two feed the inverter. One for pass through and the other to power the battery charging.

Need to pull those two wires off to isolate the main panel. Also need to shut the two 20 amp inverter breakers off.

Then one last try at the 50 amp GFCI.

Thanks I'll give it a try in the am.

2015 Wrangler JKU

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jy
Explorer
Explorer
Just to give you guys something else to talk about,the new breaker you bought if installed will technically be illegal.The new breaker is a Square D brand and the other breakers in the picture are Siemens.The square d will work but its technically against code.
2016 wildwood bunkhouse,2018 f150 5.0.Camping with the grandkids now.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
OK looks like the two feed the inverter. One for pass through and the other to power the battery charging.

Need to pull those two wires off to isolate the main panel. Also need to shut the two 20 amp inverter breakers off.

Then one last try at the 50 amp GFCI.

Thanks I'll give it a try in the am.
2015 Wrangler JKU