cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fantasy RV Tours Canadian Maritme first timer

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about going up to Nova Scotia in 2018. Looking at the Fantasy RV tours and doing it with them. Has anybody traveled with Fantasy? Especially the Maritime Tour?
Thanks for any help or advice.
Bruce and Connie.
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie
13 REPLIES 13

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just did a trip with our truck and trailer from Medicine Hat Ab to Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and had a wonderful time. Our travels kept us in Canada throughout the journey. Drop me a PM and I might be able to give you some pointers. We wrote a blog about our travels that you might find interesting.John & Betty's travel blog
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Once upon a time I worked out of Sudbury, ON. I also owned land near Lubec, ME. Thus, I went via the northern route, ie. 17 to the border with QC. Then through Montreal, over to the south shore, via a through way to Rimouski, then over to NB across that province to N. Sydney and the ferry to NL.

The route can be entirely via the TransCanada Highway Newfoundlanders call it the TCH.

As I said before get visitors guides for the provinces you will pass through.

All of these provinces are rich in scenery, events and people.

As Near to Heaven by Sea: A History Of Newfoundland And Labrador by Kevin Major. Kevin Major is an award winning author. This book was written by request of the publisher. Again go to www.abebooks.com to pick it up at a good price.

๐Ÿ™‚
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, we decided to try it ourselves. We're going to Niagara Falls first, then on to Nova Scotia via the Canadian side. Then down thru Maine.
Has anybody gone to Nova Scotia from Niagara on the Canadian side? I'm trying to follow Good Sam'a Plan a trip and getting confused. We'll be starting out from the Niagara Falls KOA.
Thanks for any info.
Bruce and Connie
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. Sorry it took me so long to respond. We've been working on the house from dawn to dusk and too wore out to get on the net. We haven't decided which way we'll go yet. But we do appreciate all the advice.
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Skip Peggys Cove, tourist trap, cruise ship tour buses all over the
place, light house is a small little building. Too busy, too many people.

Go here to see a really nice Light House spot:

Cape Forchu Light House

Just received a face lift this summer, usually very quiet and
peaceful, beautiful sunsets, watch the CAT ferry come and go to Yarmouth,N.S.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
we watched one tour come into the campground in the afternoon, taking a couple of hours to get everyone parked then there was a meeting where the next day's run was outlined.

Similar experience for us - After the two hours of shouted instructions and general uproar getting everyone settled without too much destruction of rigs and property, we also had to endure their meeting blasted over their portable high-distortion loudspeakers system. And then they played bingo for the rest of the afternoon also over the loudspeakers. Inconsiderate doesn't come close to describing it.

As for concern about traveling out of country, from many accounts the main problems with border procedures arise not in going into Canada where you get a warm welcome to a safe country, but in returning to the USA.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to be around people and don't mind being one of the cattle, do it. If you like independence, plan your own tour. More work but definitely worth it.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
While we haven't taken taken a caravan tour we've watched some of them (in Mexico). For us they would be too structured, we watched one tour come into the campground in the afternoon, taking a couple of hours to get everyone parked then there was a meeting where the next day's run was outlined. They were off next morning.

If you wanted to spend additional time at a location you couldn't. I would suggest that you plan your own "tour", you may find it more satisfying, and as Canadians, we don't "bite"!

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Among other things, go to www.google.ca, yes you want google with domain for Canada.

Search "name Of province" tourism. Email or better call their 800 #. Ask for latest 'visitors guide' and provincial map. Tell person on the phone activities you enjoy (music festivals, hiking, historic sites, beaches...whatever). Chances are they have special booklets for these things to do.

Consider Northern Maine as well. At one time this was part of early Canadian Settlers.

The Maritimes (NB, NS, PEI, or provinces that entered confederation in 19th c.)
New Brunswick:

- Islands of Campobello (Roosevelt cottage), Deer Island, Grand Manan
- Historic Acadien Village
- City Market Saint John
- Fundy Park
- Tidal Bore

Nova Scotia
- Louisbourg historic fortress. It's a reconstruction with staff in historic dress. Food service included. You park in a lot and are bused to the site. Plan on at least 1/2 day. More would be better. The most must do of The Maritimes.
- Historic Halifax
- The Ovens
- Peggy's Cove
- Farmer's Daughter, Whycogamgh.
- Cabot Trail (Cape Breton Highlands National Park, nice, but no comparison to Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland)
- Meat Cove, top of Cape Breton Island
- More tidal things on western side.

PEI
- Historic Charlottetown
- Beaches (haven't done those since age of 15)
- All the stuff about Anne of Green Gables Love all the books, not into things which are like seeing the movie after reading the book. Still many go to them.
- Historic Village as built. Orwell Corner. Staff in timely dress. Animals with babes, ie colts, lambs, piglets, agricultural museum.
- Neighboring Sir Andrew MacPhail Homestead.
- Lobster My fav. New Glasgow Lobster Suppers
- Farmer's Markets, especially Charlottetown.
- Take the ferry to PEI and the Bridge FROM. You pay to cross the water when you leave. Bridge costs less.

Atlantic Canada (means all eastern provinces including Newfoundland and Labrador, which joined Canada in 1949. This is Joey' term)
- Gros Morne National Park. Both north of Bonne Bay and south of Bonne Bay. See visitors centers at both. Tour the fjords at Trout River and Western Brook Pond. & more, Summer Theatre at Cow Head, esp. Tempting Providence (historic Nurse Bennet)
- Other Summer festivals and theatre
- Start at Port aux Basques and work your way up the Northern Peninsula. Take in Viking sites both at southern Newfoundland and the two at the top of the Northern Peninsula. L'anse aux Meadows is a World Heritage site.
- Scads of interest in many a town or village all along the routes to St. John's., which is also of great historic interest.
- Climb Mtn. of Gros Morne
- Bay St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary.

Come back, cross to Labrador. and do lots there.
- Red Bay. Whaling site of Basques whalers.
- Labrador City.
- You can drive all the way. Check about road conditions. It was fine when I did it but sometimes there is a year with poor road conditions.

Have lived in 3 of these provinces. NL for 24.5 years, but back across The Gulf now.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled with the Fantasy tour in the summer of 2016, had a great time and met many nice people who enjoyed the tour also. Got to enjoy New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and upon the tour completion went back on our own to travel Labrador, and then on the way home enjoyed Quebec, Ontario, and Manitoba too! Each province has its own identity, hard to pick which one we liked the best. The villages in Newfoundland and seeing the ancient Viking ruins, plus icebergs were probably the highlight. You will certainly have a great time and learn a lot of history on the settlement of North America in the early days including the colonial times and the tough times that the Acadians had with the English rulers. If you have a toad, take it along so you can also see places that aren't handy for RV's to visit.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Lost Traveller wrote:
Rv2go, would you mind if I picked your brain some about travelling to Nova Scotia by ourselves. We've never taken a long trip and we're a little worried about travelling out of country. But it would be nice to pick our own time to go.

PM sent.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Lost_Traveller
Explorer
Explorer
Rv2go, would you mind if I picked your brain some about travelling to Nova Scotia by ourselves. We've never taken a long trip and we're a little worried about travelling out of country. But it would be nice to pick our own time to go.
The Lost Travellers
Bruce and Connie

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure that a Fantasy Tour would be great, but why.
We have been to Nova Scotia 3 times by ourselves and never had a problem.

Either way, I am sure you will have a great time. Lots to see and do.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog