cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Takakkaw Falls - Yoho NP

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
1. Planning for Mid-September 2018. Does the falls flow all year or do they dry up in the late Summer/Fall like Yosemite?

2. Thinking about staying at Kicking Horse CG for a few days too visit Jasper and Banff. Is it central located for day trips or is it to distant?

3. Would I expect space (no reservations) in mid-September? Weather?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
8 REPLIES 8

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago, we ran into light snow in Lake Louise and heavy snow on the Icefields Parkway on Sept. 18 while on our way to Jasper. And I believe they had snow in large parts of Montana today. So, you may find some campgrounds and roads closed, at least temporarily.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kicking Horse CG is great -- some sites are right on the river. Or there is a big sunny meadow area if you want sun for your solar.

The falls were terrific in September -- don't miss it.

Great hiking in that area -- there was one trail called Iceline, I think, that went right up to a glacier, with amazing views of the whole valley, and even some of the high altitude ice fields. Not a technically difficult hike -- good trail surface.

Kicking Horse is about a half hour from Lake Louise -- lots of great hikes there, too, especially in larch season.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
trigley wrote:
Fed by meltwater flowing a short distance. It will flow but the volume is temperature sensitive. While you could make a day trip to Jasper it is too far considering all there is to see.

X2
The speed limit on the Parkway is 90 kmph with a few short sections at 50-60 kmph. It would take a fair while to get to Jasper.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you're also planning on going to Emerald lake, if not I'd add it to your list as it's in the same area.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
Harvey51 wrote:
The road up to Takakkaw Falls has a nasty switchback. We found coming back down with our 20 foot motorhome a little awkward. Leave your trailer down below, perhaps at the campground.

As mentioned, we plan to camp at Kicking Horse and sight see in the TV
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
Fed by meltwater flowing a short distance. It will flow but the volume is temperature sensitive. While you could make a day trip to Jasper it is too far considering all there is to see.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
The road up to Takakkaw Falls has a nasty switchback. We found coming back down with our 20 foot motorhome a little awkward. Leave your trailer down below, perhaps at the campground.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

EK_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know Takakkaw Falls flows in the fall. You should have no problem finding a campsite in Kicking Horse Campground in mid September. It would be central enough for day trips to Lake Louise and Banff but I would consider it too far away from Jasper for a day trip. The weather could vary widely but if a storm passes through dropping snow it likely would not stay on the ground for too long.