cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best PEX fitting system?

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
I know what the first thing people say when it comes to PEX fittings, and that's Sharkbite/Gatorbite/etc. However, with those, there is only a single O-ring that can easily get nicked if one isn't careful inserting the tubing, and the O-ring will get eaten away over time by chlorine. Either way, you have a leak.

Crimp fittings are commonly used by RV makers, but twist the lines slightly, and they start to leak.

So far, the best I've found is Uponor's ProPex expanding fittings, which only work with their PEX-A pipe, and their expansion tool is not cheap.

Second best appears to be Flair-It fittings which assemble and disassemble by hand, and because they squeeze the PEX tubing on all sides, it does a good job.

What would one recommend for RV plumbing?
18 REPLIES 18

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
While I do have a few years here on earth I am a newby in comparison to many of you. We bought our first rv in 1999 and it was 11 years old then. We had it for about 15 years and had two water leaks, both at aluminum crimped ring fittings. Replaced with Flair-It fittings and no problems with the fittings.

Our stick and brick is all copper except where I added a new "T" fitting for new drip watering in the landscaping. I used a shark bite fietting there because it was at the low point in the water system and soldering copper pipe when water is seeping out is a real PITA. No leaks there either and so much easier than soldering. Expensive, YES, but effective and easy.

I keep a variety of Flair-It fittings and I may buy the spanner someday.

Exactly, I got tired of stuffing bread in the line before soldering so one of my last sprinkler system installs got a sharkbite to copper. ๐Ÿ™‚

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
While I do have a few years here on earth I am a newby in comparison to many of you. We bought our first rv in 1999 and it was 11 years old then. We had it for about 15 years and had two water leaks, both at aluminum crimped ring fittings. Replaced with Flair-It fittings and no problems with the fittings.

Our stick and brick is all copper except where I added a new "T" fitting for new drip watering in the landscaping. I used a shark bite fietting there because it was at the low point in the water system and soldering copper pipe when water is seeping out is a real PITA. No leaks there either and so much easier than soldering. Expensive, YES, but effective and easy.

I keep a variety of Flair-It fittings and I may buy the spanner someday.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Brass fittings are expensive but plastic break. Brass fittings are expensive but shark bite, etc are even more expensive. I purchased my crimping tool about 5 years ago for a raised bed garden irrigation system and later used it to rebuild my new trailer's plumbing from the pump all the way through the H2O heater and drains when I installed the outdoor shower. The best investment in a tool for quite some time. A crimper can be tough to use in some areas but with a little thought you can pre-build assemblies so that the install crimps are in an open area that allows good access for the crimp tool.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used Flair-It and Sharkbite in the RV. I far prefer Sharkbite.

Yes if I was doing an entire home or repairs on a regular basis I would get the crimper.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
ctilsie242 wrote:
Crimp fittings are commonly used by RV makers, but twist the lines slightly, and they start to leak.

What they commonly use in RVs are "cinch clamps", not crimp fittings. Crimp fittings use a copper crimp ring and a PEX "crimper" is used to install them.

There are 6 ways to connect PEX piping to the fittings as explained in this youtube vid. Never use gear/hose clamps on PEX.

I really like copper crimp rings. They're small and pretty inexpensive. I bought a crimper off ebay about 10 years ago when building a new shop & house. I've used it a lot off and on over the years. Has interchangeable dies that will do 1/2" to 1" sizes. There are a few smaller sized "pocket" crimper styles like in the photos. These are great for working in tight spaces like inside cabinets in an RV. Full size crimper is on right. A pocket crimper would be a good choice for a box o' tools in an RV.

Using copper crimp rings is pretty much foolproof providing the crimper is correctly calibrated and there is a "go no-go" gauge that will tell you if they are properly tightened. It's very fast too. I've done thousands of PEX crimps and never had a single leak. Using a PEX tubing cutter is a must-have tool so you get clean cuts and square ends.

Sharkbite (or equivalent) fittings have their place but are heavy, bulky and expensive. The photo below shows a solenoid valve setup I just installed in our TT. It's very compact and there's no way that could be done with sharkbites. Also shown is a pressure regulator and filtration under the kitchen sink. Besides being bulky, using sharkbites would have been quite expensive.

RVs typically use plastic PEX fittings. Personally I don't like them but they don't seem to cause problems. I always use brass fittings in our TT. Easy to find all over the place too.

I am guessing that the reason they use cinch clamps at the factories is because of all the one-eyed monkeys they use to slap RVs together and cinch clamps are probably more foolproof. Copper rings are cheaper and you'd expect them to be used in that case, but they don't.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
I carry a selection of Flair-It fittings for emergencies. I have both 3/8" and 1/2" fittings and valves. Call me paranoid.
My neighbors, that I help, call me all sorts of things. Including, "lets go to dinner, my treat".

Richard

Flair-it for me too. My trailer had mostly half inch Flair-it fittings & Flair-it x pipe thd. There were also a few hose clamps.
I've done some piping mods myself so I have plenty of spare 1/2 inch Flair-it fittings and a 1/2 x 3/8 Flair-it fitting wrench. And I'm not paranoid, okay maybe just a little.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Copper crimp rings.

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
I use the stainless cinch clamps.

cinch tool

I like that system because one tool will work with all pipe sizes, the copper rings have to have a different tool or die for each pipe size.

Used many when I did a water heater and well pressure tank install in my house.
Never had one leak

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I don't trust Sharkbite style to last for many many years. I always crimp. I use both copper rings and the stainless steel rings depending on the situation. I have the tool for both.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in a tight spot, then obviously, SharkBite.

We used the compressed copper rings when we did my son's house.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've never used it but, the Uponor system appears to be a good option. If I did a lot of plumbing I would buy one.

For limited use, SharkBite works great. I've had them on the heating and water system in our S&B almost 12 years, no leaks or problems. I removed and reinstalled a few of them, no nicks, no leaks and no failures.
Use the depth gauge/deburring tool to chamfer the edge before installing the SharkBite fitting. You won't have any problems.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I have Watts/Sea Tech fittings (similar to SharkBite) that have been in place for over ten years with no failures to date.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct the gun isn't cheap but uponor is the system that is used in home building. After getting stupid high price quotes my son bought the gun and we did it all ourselves. Sharkbite is easy and great for limited use. I always slightly chamfer the edge of the pex for no sharp edges

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Personally, I like the Flare-it fittings. They were on our last TT and on the new one as well. They are very easy to work on and can be reused over and over. I use a heat gun to slide the Pex over the barbs.
I've never seen one fail.

I don't see why stainless steel or copper clamps wouldn't work well either but they should NOT be aluminum - which will stretch.