Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Solar to inverter to make all plugs work?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar to inverter to make all plugs work?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ulvik

Smoky Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently have 200w Renogy solar panels to recharge my batteries when we boondock but I would like to run an 1000 or so watt inverter and run it into all of the existing electrical outlets inside the TT. How do I do this and not short anything out when I plug into a outside source for electricity at a campground? Please simplify because I am an electrical idiot. LOL
I just want to be able to use all plugs when boondocking as well as when we have full hookups at a campground and don't want to burn anything up when I do plug up to an outside power source.
I am planning on running probably 6 100w panels through 4 6 volt batteries in the future.

2010 GMC 1500
2015 Rockwood 2404ds
Great Smokey Mountains

bill-e

NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To run ALL outlets off the inverter you can simply turn off your REC/CON (converter) breaker and plug your shore power cord into your inverter.

No worry about shorting because when you want to use shore power again, you unplug it from your inverter.

There are other more complex ways to accomplish this using a transfer switch an/or subpanel.

I think most people just install a separate outlet or two in the RV and plug those into the inverter. That way the inverter circuit is totally separated from the shore power circuit.

Thanks,
Bill

'15 Keystone Cougar 26RBI and '15 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

bill-e

NH

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And if you really wanted to run everything off an inverter you would first need to calculate your expected load and then size your solar, batteries and inverter for that load....it's going to be larger than a 1000w inverter.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You just need a small transfer switch for each branch circuit. Probably two.

http://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-TS15A-Automatic-Transfer-Switch-p/ts15a.htm

If the converter or fridge is on one of the circuits you will need to move them or remember to turn off.

Are you sure you need 1000 watts? Much easier to install 300 watts.

* This post was edited 09/13/17 03:22pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Byrogie

Whisper Valley Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When boondocking:
Plug shore power cord to inverter.
Turn off breakers for converter, A/C, and electric water heater.
Fridge and water heater on propane.
Good to go.......

Lwiddis

Lonepine, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in bill-e's camp. I have two 120 plugs that are fed by the inverter and wouldn't mess with what you propose.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two or three different ways

1: There is a type of inverter called "in-line" This type of inverter has AC in and out as well as DC in/out. It can charge the batteries if you have shore power and contains all the needed switching.. That is what I use in fact.

Foot note: though more expensive.. TRUE SINE is the preferred inverter and though I always thought MSW were more efficient. turns out that is not so.

Next you have "Stand along" inverters. these have 12 volt IN and 120vac OUT
You an use a common AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH (a small one, say 30 amp) Feed SHORE power to the GENERATOR terminals. Inverter to the SHORE terminals (I know that sounds backwards but this means if shore power is present it will switch over).

Or you can use a manual transfer system. One is a "Transfer switch" you can get at an electrical supply, this is a 3 position On/Off/ON switch rated for 20-30 amps Mains/Off/Inverter.

Or when my 30 amp transfer failed I put in a special outler and MANULLY move a plug from MAINS to Inverter for one circuit... the one powering this laptop just now.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ulvik wrote:

but I would like to run an 1000 or so watt inverter and run it into all of the existing electrical outlets inside the TT.

While that is possible most folks find that it's not practical.

For one thing, it probably won't run the microwave or a hair dryer or a "real" vavuum cleaner or a toaster oven.....the list goes ON and ON.

Do you NOT have a generator ? How about air conditioning ??

And we've had only a few responses so far and one person says 1000 W is too much.....and another says it's not enough.
To GET 1000 W from the batteries, the inverter would draw about 83 amps. That's a LOT.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Byrogie wrote:

When boondocking:
Good to go.......

That one line is CRITICAL !!

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Byrogie wrote:

When boondocking:
Good to go.......

That one line is CRITICAL !!

X2

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 480 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar to inverter to make all plugs work?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS