Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: LED Tailight Weak Flashing Issue - *Solved*
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LED Tailight Weak Flashing Issue - *Solved*

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2DHoop

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campinginthewoods wrote:

Maybe change suspected bulb to one you know works and see if your problem still exist. Just a thought

I would normally do this but the only other LED tail light I have available is the other side which operates as it should and I didn't want to cut wires and swap just yet.

2013 Arctic Fox 25P
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW CTD

2DHoop

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Since only one light does it, it isn't the flasher. That's a good thing since I beieve it's in the TIPM.
I would just replace the light itself. It sounds like its drivers are messed up.

Not too familiar with TIPM but I'm guessing it is part of the vehicle's system that manages power to the trailer lights. I'm starting to think it is the LED fixture as well.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was ready to say the probe across the fixture did two things, lower the resistance by being parallel and add a new ground to the circuit

Then you said you put the resistor in series with the fixture (not parallel like the test probe) increasing the resistance

Either way, it is the fixture that is the problem

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the resistor. The lamp's VOLTAGE REGULATOR is malfunctioning and sensing what it believes to be too high of incoming voltage. So it drastically limits current.

I would suggest "overkill city" with the resistor. Lots of wattage rating.

With my home built third brake light systems I enable the lamp for 5 minutes continuous operation. Then gingerly touch fingertip to resistor. If I yell unprintable words, I up the wattage rating.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taillight fixture has a poor ground.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2DHoop

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/17 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

I was ready to say the probe across the fixture did two things, lower the resistance by being parallel and add a new ground to the circuit

Then you said you put the resistor in series with the fixture (not parallel like the test probe) increasing the resistance

Either way, it is the fixture that is the problem

Thank you, Sir. I have a new light on order.

2DHoop

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/17 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Use the resistor. The lamp's VOLTAGE REGULATOR is malfunctioning and sensing what it believes to be too high of incoming voltage. So it drastically limits current.

I would suggest "overkill city" with the resistor. Lots of wattage rating.

With my home built third brake light systems I enable the lamp for 5 minutes continuous operation. Then gingerly touch fingertip to resistor. If I yell unprintable words, I up the wattage rating.

Thanks for your expertise. I'm going to try a new light fixture and be done with it...hopefully.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/17 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I put on the Bargman LED upgrades, I notice weak and intermittent operation of the turn signals. I hose clamped around the light socket (the upgrades use the existing light socket) and coated the whole thing with dielectric grease.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed

2DHoop

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/17 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Taillight fixture has a poor ground.

I checked the ground and it is good and I also ran an alternate ground just to be sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

2DHoop

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/17 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

When I put on the Bargman LED upgrades, I notice weak and intermittent operation of the turn signals. I hose clamped around the light socket (the upgrades use the existing light socket) and coated the whole thing with dielectric grease.

Good idea to use the grease. The fixtures I have are not the upgrade versions. I have about had it with trailer lights, especially with my two boat trailers...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LED Tailight Weak Flashing Issue - *Solved*
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS