Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: coach batteries went dead
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> coach batteries went dead

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
MT Pokets

Greenville Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to put my RV in storage in June. Today I went to check on it and the engine battery is fine, but the coach batteries are dead. If I hook up to shore power will the batteries maybe recharge or are they ruined? They're only 2 years old.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put a hydrometer on them and see how they read. Hopefully you will see nearly the same reading from each cell in battery. Even if they all read low the battery may still have some life left. Top it up with distilled water and give it a smart, 3 stage charge and hope for the best.

If however one cell reads significantly lower than the others that cell is bad and the battery is toast. It will take a charge but as soon as a load is place upon it, it will fail. It sounds like you some sort of parasitic load on your house bank that is slowly draining them and until you find it and shut it down the problem will continue. If all else fails and you are able to recover the batteries try disconnecting them when not in use.

I just finished topping up my two group 27 house batteries and they were fairly thirsty. They haven't had excessive use this summer but southern Arizona has experienced its hottest summer in recent history, lost count of all the record highs we have had since the middle of May {at one pointing in June we broke the record high temp 17 days in a row}.

They both read just fine on the hydrometer and are only 2 years old so I should have a couple more years, {perhaps more} on them.

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charge them and try them before buying new ones.

Next time when you store it, disconnect the negative battery terminal.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, it pays to keep an eye on how charging is working. While charging from the engine or shore power, the voltage at the batteries must go well over 14 to charge effectively, diminishing to around 13.5 to maintain the charge. The % of full charge can be estimated from a voltmeter reading several hours after all charging has ceased - 12.6 indicates 100%, 12.0 50% (as low as you can go without some damage). A battery monitor that shows the % charge accurately at all times can be had for as little as $25 if you have the skill to install it. I have this one from eBay.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I had to put my RV in storage in June."

That's a long sit for batteries without some type of float charge. Solar is how I do it. Heat is another concern.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the future you should consider disconnecting the house batteries when the rig is stored.

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

lanerd

Newport OR for the summer.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No shore power and you didn't disconnect the batteries... shame. If you parked in it June, those batteries would have been drawn down to almost nothing within one to two weeks. Go down to Costco or Same Club and buy new 6v golf cart batteries.

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All batteries will "draw down" and 12 volts are no worse than 6 volts in this regard {switching from 12 volts to 6 volts will not change a thing for the OP}. If the rig is going to sit for any length of time {and a few weeks should have little or no effect}, either provide some sort of battery maintenance like a small solar panel with a smart regulator or if AC power is available a trickle charge/maintainer.

The key here is to either eliminate all parasitic draws or simply disconnect the batteries. A decent {disconnected}, battery will still "draw down" to some degree while in a storage mode but not enough to do any significant harm unless it is ignored for many months.

[emoticon]

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lanerd wrote:

No shore power and you didn't disconnect the batteries... shame. If you parked in it June, those batteries would have been drawn down to almost nothing within one to two weeks. Go down to Costco or Same Club and buy new 6v golf cart batteries.

Ron

Why. I would recharge slowly and once fully charged check with hydrometer. Completely discharged batteries are not necessarily ruined. AlsoI prefer Trojan deep cycle batteries. The big clubs batteries are no better than anyone else's, after all there are few battery manufacturers left. The cheaper they are are the cheaper they are. Low cost batteries have less lead plates and less capacity . Hence less cost to the consumer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> coach batteries went dead
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS