cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Security

4ramblinbob
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, soon to begin full timing and have a few questions. I bought a safe to keep important papers in minus the acc #'s cause I plan to leave a key taped to it. That way they won't have to steal it to see what's inside. My main purpose was to keep this stuff free from fire and water damage. OK that will work but where do I put my SS card and other numbers I don't want seen + my passport. Don't want to carry them. I'm single, widowed with no close family. Was thinking of giving these #'s and cards to a niece and calling her if I need them, then she could mail them to me. But thought I would ask and see what others are doing. I could hide them, but if the unthinkable happens they're lost (fire). I'll probably do the niece idea unless someone has a better idea. Any better ideas?

Bob
15 REPLIES 15

Sourdough_Biscu
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with dieselbobcat. Carry the documents you need. Duplicates on the cloud. Create a folder on your email account. That way, you can access them from any computer in the world. And you're not having to carry a USB drive. Not reliant on anyone else. If your RV catches fire in the middle of the night, are you really going to track down the thumb drive? I carry too much **** in my pockets already. Don't need more!

I own a small "fireproof safe". I honestly dont' know if it would survive an RV fire anyway. I'd have to look up the rating.

I'm in the process of doing just that now. (Scanning)

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
you can always keep it bolted to the floor under the back seat of the truck, under the carpet, it will look like part of the floor shape of the truck body. every time yo go some where you will still have it with you. it will also be with you when you are at camp. just a thought. we keep ours, unbolted, in a secure non-obvious spot in the trailer. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
bolt it under the bed storage. lift the bed and there is your safe...can ya do that? just a thought

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
People cannot steal what they cannot find. Locate a spot where you can conceal a small fire/water safe. Behind a panel, under carpet, under your laundry hamper, there are lots of possibilities and lots of different sized safes.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
4ramblinbob wrote:
dieselbobcat wrote:
Won't really matter if you secure a Sentry safe... can be opened with a large screwdriver... "slightly" more secure than the deadbolt on the door to your coach... they are made for fire and water protection.

Why not just digitize all your papers and use the cloud storage you have already set up? Scan and leave the originals with your niece.

OK I'm in an accident can barely talk and need medical care. If I don't have my medical card I may not receive proper care if any at all. Medical card has SS # on it.

It won't help you if it's in a safe either.

Insurance cards, etc., should be on your person with your ID. Make an electronic copy for safekeeping (give a thumb drive with the images to your niece).

For documents that are important but not needed very often (passport, birth cert, ss card, etc.), keep an electronic copy on a thumb drive and send the originals to your niece or put them in a safe deposit box that she can access in case of an emergency.

For fires, the safest place for your insurance cards is on your person. If you get out, so do the cards. If you don't, then the cards aren't needed.

If you're taping the key to the safe, you've defeated the entire purpose of a locking safe. In that case, why not look for a fire safe case that doesn't lock? You might find something better rated for fire survival.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

4ramblinbob
Explorer
Explorer
dieselbobcat wrote:
Won't really matter if you secure a Sentry safe... can be opened with a large screwdriver... "slightly" more secure than the deadbolt on the door to your coach... they are made for fire and water protection.

Why not just digitize all your papers and use the cloud storage you have already set up? Scan and leave the originals with your niece.

OK I'm in an accident can barely talk and need medical care. If I don't have my medical card I may not receive proper care if any at all. Medical card has SS # on it.

4ramblinbob
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
"Since I canโ€™t secure safe, key will be taped to it. Either that or buy a smaller safe? This still seems like the best choice cause otherwise they will steal the safe too!"

What makes you think some low life thief won't steal a safe that comes with the key? :h

Well if they're too lazy to work for money they probably won't want to carry a safe either. It is pretty heavy ๐Ÿ™‚

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Your plan is not a bad one, I for one would not tape the key to the safe but that is just my thought. I would create a file within your computer for those things you don't want to carry or put in the safe. We have encrypted copies of SS numbers, passports, proof of insurance and both sides of our CCs, there are a few other things in that file. Then send or deliver the originals to your niece.

I tinker with stuff and one thing I like to do is rekey locks. I have Listed the type of blank and cut numbers for every lock I have in use. I have them coded so it would be very difficult to use the information and that too is in an encrypted file and a copy in my wallet and my DWs purse and one somewhere in the rig. If my keys are lost or stolen while we're traveling, I can go to a locksmith and get new ones made.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dieselbobcat
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Rockwood Ultralight 8312SS Diamond Edition
2016 F350 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariat Ultimate 4X4 6.2L

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Since I canโ€™t secure safe, key will be taped to it. Either that or buy a smaller safe? This still seems like the best choice cause otherwise they will steal the safe too!"

What makes you think some low life thief won't steal a safe that comes with the key? :h

4ramblinbob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies,

DutchmenSport - No way to anchor it to floor. Small motorhome and below closet (the only place safe fits) is the water heater)

toed toes - May do that thumb drive but already have them in dropbox and
My phone and computer both need a PW to gain access. Canโ€™t secure this safe to floor where it fits.

The safe is fire and waterproof UL listed by Sentry. Canโ€™t find the papers on it right now to see how long it will survive. But will look.

Since I canโ€™t secure safe, key will be taped to it. Either that or buy a smaller safe? This still seems like the best choice cause otherwise they will steal the safe too!

Thanks all,

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I bought a safe to keep important papers in..."

What "important papers" are you carrying with you? Other than the usual in my wallet, the TV and TT registrations and insurance cards in the TV and my passport for leaving the country, I've never needed important papers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Dutchman Sport. I bought a small safe a couple of years ago and thru bolted {quarter inch bolts with large ss flat washers and double locking nuts} it into the bottom of the closet. A thief could probably get it out but that would require more time, tools and noise than most snatch and grab thieves have at their disposal. If they want it that bad... have at it.

My safe, like many operate with a battery powered keypad but also has backup - key operated access. The key lives on each of our RV sets of keys and as long as the batteries are fresh we can always quickly/easily access the contents {among other things I keep my gun in the safe}.

Leaving a key defeats the purpose of having a safe in the first place. Unless your safe is fire rated for 30 minutes and not many small {inexpensive}, safes are, the contents will be toast in a hot RV fire. My large safe at home has a 30 minute rating and in our community the fire department has a less than 5 minute response time. Out on the road or in a campsite you will likely see your whole rig turned into toast before the first responders arrive.

If you are worried about having account numbers compromised you can easily disguise them. Add a few random numbers, something that you can easily remember, at the beginning/end of the real number and run them all together. Be creative and no one will ever figure out your actual account/ss/medical record numbers.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV

:C

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scan or photograph your SS card, passport, credit cards, etc. Put the scans and account numbers on an encrypted thumb drive. Keep that with you at all times. This way if your "home" is destroyed, stolen, etc., you'll have numbers, etc. (copy both sides so you have phone numbers for the credit cards).

For the hard copies, keep them in the safe. Don't tape the key to the safe, keep one with you and give the spare to your niece for safekeeping. If you lose yours, you can have her mail the spare (or make a copy of the spare and send that).

As Dutchman suggests, find a way to secure the safe to the floor (preferably to the metal frame).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)