Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Insurance Question on a TT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Insurance Question on a TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
stugpanzer

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son just bought a new 22' Keystone Hideout TT but he plans on borrowing my Ford F250 truck to pull it (with my blessing) for a year or so until he finds a vehicle that he and his wife will use to pull it with.

He called his insurance company and will have insurance for the TT but his insurance company told him that the towing vehicle (my truck in this case) would cover the TT while being towed.

If I understand this correctly, when I am pulling a trailer behind my truck only my liability carries over to the trailer. It is possible that since I do not own the TT, my liability may not transfer so therefore my son might want to get a separate liability policy on himself.

BTW, my son is a listed driver for my vehicles as well.

I will be calling my insurance company as well to ask but was wondering if anybody has dealt with this type of situation and were there any issues?

Thanks!

2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
Mods: EEZRV Products TPMS, Cobra 29LX 50th Anniversary CB radio with Firestik NGP Antenna, Self contained sewer hose

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IANAL but if he's a listed driver on your policy I would just add the trailer to your policy. That way the truck, trailer, and driver are all listed on one policy. Adding my trailer with full coverage and a gap policy was pretty inexpensive.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

Lwiddis

Lonepine, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read your insurance policy. Have your insurance agent tell you about your coverage. Then read those pertinent sections. Be sure. Don't guess or ask others...who are guessing. Wife driving too? Ask! Then confirm by....reading your policy.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only liability coverage extends to the trailer and only when towing.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Only liability coverage extends to the trailer and only when towing.

Same in Michigan. Insurance can vary greatly from state to state, and OP is in Illinois, I would call the agent to be sure.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless yor son is added to your policy, it seems like the coverage is rather muddied.
An ins. co. will use any loophole or excuse to get out of covering a large claim.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

Camper G

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Unless yor son is added to your policy, it seems like the coverage is rather muddied.
An ins. co. will use any loophole or excuse to get out of covering a large claim.

Insurance is a highly regulated industry.

Insurance typically follows the vehicle. As your son is a listed driver on your policy, a permissive driver, as another poster just mentiined, the liability coverage on your truck typically cover the trailer as well while it's connected to your truck. But as the trailer is non-owned, I'd double check with your insurance agent and have them send you an email so its documented in writing.

As you said, your son would need to buy his own PD coverage for the trailer. Good luck.

2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

- John Chapter 14, Verse 6

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good thoughts above, but your best assurance is to confirm with YOUR insurance company. Have them show you IN THE POLICY, written, so there is no future question if, heaven forbid, an accident should occur.

DutchmenSport

Observation: The older I get, the less important it is to "get there". What's now important is to enjoy everything along the way getting there.

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am fairly certain it would work this way, at least here in PA.

I have full coverage on both the trailer and truck with Progressive.

1-Get in a wreck while towing - The truck insurance covers it.
2-Trailer gets slammed by a tree while at the campground, the trailer insurance covers it.
3-Trailer gets slammed by a tree while in my backyard, it goes to my homeowners insurance.
4-Trailer catches fire from the shoddy wiring and burns down to the frame while in my yard, its on the trailer insurance.
5-The insurance company, whomever it is, is going to attempt to put the screws to you no matter what happened, where it happened, how it happened, etc. They are going to use every play they have in the playbook.

I am also 100% certain about this. Do not get your insurance advice on an internet forum.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This link might answer your question.
Individual state laws regulate Ins.
People that live in another state , telling what the law is their state will be very little help to you.

https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insight........end-your-car-to-a-friend-read-this-first

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Insurance Question on a TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS