cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hurricane Irma Damage

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Our Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler had a vent cover blow off during the storm. From what I can tell, there was about 3 inches of water in the Galley at some time during the storm.

All the carpet is soaked and the heater vents were full of water. The carpet on the Slide floor is soaked also. In order to remove all the Vinyl and Carpet, it will just about have to be gutted as everything is built over the flooring, as all of you know. What can be done for the flooded Heating Vents and Duct-work, I have no idea what needs to be done!

I have it airing out as much as possible but with out power my hands are tied with what I can do.

I made a claim on my insurance but have no idea what they will do. With all of the water and the amount of soaking up has happened, I hope they total it as I am very concerned about mold!
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona
14 REPLIES 14

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Well we had a toilet stick open and because no one noticed it soaked carpet
and was flowing out the door and the underneath, but we were in osoyoos and I just shut off a/c and left doors open and windows and in the heat it dried it all out.

Phelpo
Explorer
Explorer
our 5th got flooded from the bottom up. Underbelly got really wet
now insurance co is getting real pickie. Electric alarm went off
under couch when I plugged back in to power. Not a good situation.

Phelpo

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
Park it in Death Valley a few months, that would dry out anything

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
I received a call from the Inspector today. He said that it is Totaled! He went on to say that he told them that he would not sign off on repairing it due to the Mold Problem. So, I am very thank full for my Insurance Company Safeco, for having people that actually know RV's and how they're built.

So, now we wait t hear what the Payout will be but it is what it is. The shame of it is this was a really nice coach and I hate to see it end this way.

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I met with the Insurance Inspector today (Sunday) and will have to wait on a final decision but they way he sounded it's totaled. 😞

It's a shame as this is a really well built rig but unless they can guarantee NO MOLD the best thing is to total it.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Trailers are built from the floor up, not like a house. A flooded rv is next to impossible to restore. Flooring materials are not meant to withstand immersion .
I'm very sorry for your loss.

So...what do they build houses from the roof down?

I always insist that the roof be built first so the carpenters can work in the shade, and I don't have to worry about the wood turning all black and moldy from the weather.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Trailers are built from the floor up, not like a house. A flooded rv is next to impossible to restore. Flooring materials are not meant to withstand immersion .

So...what do they build houses from the roof down?
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I was supposed to receive a phone call to setup a time for the Adjuster to come and look at it but instead, I received an email saying they would be inspecting it on Monday. So, that means that all that water has been soaking in since the storm. To make matters worse, the power is still off there! So, I have not been able to do much but soak up the puddles.

It's a real shame that this happened as I really liked this rig. It's built like a tank with a full I-Beam frame not like some of the other (more expensive) rigs have now a days.

My relative that was staying in it until he found a place has moved into his brother's Fifth Wheel as I did not want him in there as I was concerned about the mold that has to be growing in there as the Temps have been close to 90 since the storm.

So, wish me luck on Monday and I hope they can call and give me a time frame so I do not have to sit there all day.

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I spoke to the Service Manager where we purchased the RV and he said repairs will easily be over $12,000. So now we wait for the Adjuster to show up.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
As everyone is saying, probably destroyed. Rather than plywood, which MAY dry out OK (not necessarily), many mfgs use OSB panels that are not much better than particle board once it gets soaked. You might want to take it to a RV dealer that has a comprehensive repair facility and get an estimate to repair because you KNOW the insurance adjuster is going to low-ball you ("Dry it out, it'll be fine!").

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
filrupmark wrote:
By the time the adjuster shows up you will have plenty of mold. Here in Houston mold was showing up in just a day or two.

X2
That requires immediate action to recover from! Rug doctor to suck the water out of the carpet, dehumidifier to suck out of the air, and lots of air circulation and lots
Of drying air underneath.

I think it will be totaled.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It really is beyond repair.
The entire underbelly, tanks, insulation and everything on both sides of the floor would need to be removed and restored. Then there's the base of the walls that area sealed up and need to have the same kind of work done.
You don't want to keep that trailer.

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
By the time the adjuster shows up you will have plenty of mold. Here in Houston mold was showing up in just a day or two.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!