Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Ever try to park in commercial zone with TC ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ever try to park in commercial zone with TC ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
aguablanco

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having had commercial plates on trucks for the past 28 years I understand the difference between commercial parking areas and loading zones, unlike some on this thread. The plate is what allows the ability to park in these areas, not the activity. Most of us pay more for commercial tags as opposed to passenger vehicle tags so we are doing the right thing in asserting our ability to park in commercial zones. I don't see a problem using them if one has the proper registration.
RichH

2012 Silverado 5.3L 6 Speed
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

tattoobob

Billerica, Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a lot of Cities the owner of a business pays for a loading zone/commercial space in front of there store/Restaurant for a repair person or delivery to do there job with out getting tickets so if you parked there and then said owner called the police you would get a ticket or worse towed

2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tattoobob wrote:

In a lot of Cities the owner of a business pays for a loading zone/commercial space in front of there store/Restaurant for a repair person or delivery to do there job with out getting tickets so if you parked there and then said owner called the police you would get a ticket or worse towed

Each jurisdiction has different laws for sure.
I know similar permits from San Francisco where parking is almost non-existent.
When townhouse owner does major remodeling, he/she can purchase a permit that will block curb for few cars so contractors can park there doing the job. Such signs do have specific name on them.
Any permanent yellow curb, or red post is for any commercial vehicle that can get to it. Sure it suppose to be for bussines purpose, but how the cops know I did not went to a bank while driving my camper?

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

TxGearhead wrote:

Are you having trouble finding a place to park in downtown Houston?

Precisely. No Walmart downtown.
Houston is not having yellow curbs, but red post saying "commercial"
I eventually found spot big enough for my camper couple streets farther.
Side observation, it is amazing how Houston is cleaned up just 10 days after hurricane. Looks like everything was pressure-washed and new flowers planted.

If you mean downtown Houston precisely, it's a bit expensive for Walmart and a big parking lot. I can't think of where a WalMart is close to downtown, maybe south beyond The Texas Medical Center.

2016 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We slept at very nice rest area about 45 miles east.
You don't see those on west coast.
-several gazebos with tables
-board walks
-bbq
-nice landscaping with cut grass
-security
-rest rooms in several buildings
-no signs forbidding overnight stay.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was probably the Chambers County Rest Area. There is another nice one at the Texas/Louisiana border on I-10. The state has been upgrading the rest areas the last couple years.
The biggest hurricane effect downtown was flooded underground parking garages. Maybe some flooding around North Main at Buffalo Bayou.
So look out your window and tell me where you are, if you're still in Houston.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All we did in Houston was 20 minutes walk.
We are at San Antonio lakes right now. Can't beat the weather.
90F at noon, nights in 60's and water above 80F.
Remember the Alamo? On our schedule tomorrow.
With camper drop at the lake, I'll take any commercial parking I will find. [emoticon]

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you for touring the Alamo. Give it a couple minutes thought about what those men knew they were doing.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a bit of the opposite experience with the Daily City Police department. The Mrs. and I had just returned from our honeymoon and we were getting a moving truck the next day to load her stuff and move. Parked the truck with camper overnight in front of her house. Came out and found a $325 ticket citing "commercial vehicle" parked in residential as the cause. Apparently the officer felt that because my truck had dually wheels, it qualified as a "commercial vehicle".

I immediately went down to the police station and waited for a Sgt to come out and listen to my complaint. While waiting, I looked up the code that I was cited for and it was very clear that it must be a designated commercial vehicle and my going in argument was just because I had dual rear wheels didn't automatically make me a commercial vehicle. I started to argue with the Sgt, explaining that I had no commercial plates, no commercial license and no commercial insurance nor was I conducting any business. He reiterated that because I had dual wheels I qualified as commercial which I argued back with. We went back and forth for about three minutes, nearly to the point where I was starting to get flustered and upset before he finally took the ticket back and tore it up. A hard won victory for sure...

Anyway, not much of a point to my story other than be careful what you wish for because those commercial vehicle tickets are apparently no joke, nearly 6 times more expensive than standard parking tickets.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

adamis what your truck registration says?
Unless you reclassify the truck with camper on it, in CA it will always say "commercial" and you pay weigh fees.
From top of my head non-commercial pickups are below 11,500 GVW, meaning any 3/4 t or above pickup will be commercial.
It is all boiling to not what we feel, not how we use, but what the paper says.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ever try to park in commercial zone with TC ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS