Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Living in Cap over trailer full time advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Living in Cap over trailer full time advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
carmichael

Small Town, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely go for it you're young looking back I wish we had had the opportunity to do such a thing. If it's truly a desire and you don't do it you'll look back and regret that you didn't do what your heart was telling you to do.

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could go either way here. I work with students every day. If your getting a degree where you can make great money I would probably stay in the apt and take on more debt. You will be more comfortable and will prob get better grades. If your not getting a degree like that then I would try to save some money. Your young so you can prob put up with anything. Good luck.

Tiffin Zephyr(sold)
Dodge Caliber toad(sold)
Artic Fox 1150 slide(sold)
2011 DRW 3500 Crewcab Longhorn( sold)
2016 RAM Laramie Limited DRW crew cab
Sabre 5th wheel 33L
2017 Host mammoth
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People do it in a van all the time.A truck camper is one step up from a van in living space..I do know a few who have and they had know complaints any different than those in trailers or other short rv's.

It seems the larger an rv the more stuff you put in it you never use..I just sold a 30ft trailer and a 21ft motorhome and I could not believe the stuff that got stuffed into both.A truck camper lets you take just what you need and will use,nothing else unless you pull a trailer with it.

Ford F-350 Dually /Lance 9.6/Happi Jacks all around.

SidecarFlip

Deerfield, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly, just the essentials and nothing more.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP, had a buddy that lived in his "truck camper" for a year or so. And calling it a camper was a stretch. Then he moved up to a newer full featured slide in. Was luxury living and we always had a base camp for back packing or sno machine trips. It was sweet. Best part was.....get tanked at the bar, stumble out to the bedroom, no driving involved!
It's pretty easy to get resourceful for most costs EXCEPT the cost of the camper itself and the modifications and operating costs of hauling that big pig around on the back of your truck. If you got a handle on those costs and are at least semi resourceful and motivated it should be fun.

* This post was edited 09/13/17 11:06am by an administrator/moderator *

snowcrustracer

New England

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go for it...If you find it is not working out, you can sell the camper and do something else.
I would look for one that was four season with a cassette toilet and some type of a shower. That way you would not have to intrude on your friend to much and they won't get sick out you to quickly. [emoticon]

2000 Toyota Tundra & 2007 FWC Eagle (SOLD)
2016 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW & 2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EXRR

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

A truck camper lets you take just what you need and will use,nothing else unless you pull a trailer with it.

YOU WISH.
We left our house 7 weeks ago and from 50 lb of dog food we still have over 30 left (we do have 3 small dogs and they prefer shrimps over dry food)
The +- 70 lb of knifes and forks are still there.
I just took last gallon of OJ that I loaded at home.
Point is that some things are hard to predict, that is why I think a place where you can keep more stuff is important.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Point is that some things are hard to predict, that is why I think a place where you can keep more stuff is important

It is, but the nice thing about truck campers is the ability to pull right up front at the local grocery store and replenish what was used unlike the other larger RV's.

As we all know,there are pro's and con's to each class of rv and I only assume that most of us that have and had truck campers realize it's limits in long term boon docking away from the stores.When I head out weeks at a time during hunting season I have my ATV trailer with all the extra stuff needed like water/propane/beer/pop/food/gas etc.

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lived in a travel trailer for part of college. IMHO, keeping your routine is very important to full time schooling. That includes where and when to sleep, eat, shower and study. Disruptions could include where to park, get power, get water, find quiet, etc. Hopefully you won't experience frozen pipes, tree limb through roof, running out of propane for several days, loss of power and others I can't remember at the moment.

I would find a close location to take the TC off the truck for a while and plug into shore power. It could be a friend's driveway and pay a few $$ per month. I would also have a plan B and C parking place lined up.

Good Luck,

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 03:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

languiduck wrote:

The F250 has no less hauling capacity that an F350 so I don't understand why folks keep acting as if there's a problem with that.

Let's assume loaded the trailer is 5,000lbs with a 12% tongue weight

Let's say he has a 2000lb cargo capacity and loaded the camper is 1800lbs.

Cargo capacity:
2000lb available
1800lb camper and gear
600lb tongue weight.

Oops, 400lb over weight.

If he had a 1 ton, it might have a 3000lb cargo capacity and he would be within limits.

Of course, likewise that 1800lbs comes off the tow rating but at least on the surface that seems less likely to be a limitation.

Now I'm just making up numbers, he has to get the real numbers (or at least reasonable estimates) but a trailer very much does change the calculations.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Living in Cap over trailer full time advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS