Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Living in Cap over trailer full time advice
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Living in Cap over trailer full time advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
jjp527

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a grad student considering moving to living in a cap over camper full time. Rather than paying rent, I would rather be paying for something I can keep.

I have an F250, but do not currently own a camper. I live in the CA central valley, so hot summers ( but I spend most of day at school in AC) and fairly mild winters (rain, no snow).

Does anyone have any advice?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be much happier with a TT. A truck camper by its very nature is limited, limited space, storage, tank capacities are only a few.

Don,Lorri,and Charlie Bear 2016
The Other Dallas

darsben1

near Canada in NYS/ Casa Grande, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the F250 is what you use to commute to work/school then a travel trailer is most likely better for you

Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

jjp527

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, for some more information-

I semi frequently haul a horse trailer/horse camp, so would prefer a cabover so I could still haul the trailer. I was considering parking on campus (so no commute) and/or parking at a good friends house a mile or so away and biking in most days.

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you live comfortably in 64 SQFT? Your f250 depending on year and configuration could be really taxed with a camper and hauling a horse trailer. It simply will not have the capacity to handle both.

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see this working if you are a student and mostly just use it to sleep. I'd look for the shortest/lightest TC you can find and strip out everything you don't need to reduce the weight. However, you should also think about how secure your items will be. RVs are inherently easy to break into.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You also need to find out if you can actually stay parked on campus 24/7.

You may be able to manage OK in the winter, but you will need some way to cool off at night.

You can probably shower on campus, but there is an issue of toilet availability as well. You will need some place to dump some sort of toilet.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a truck camper for traveling but wouldn't live in one for longterm.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

rjxj

Over there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 04:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheaprvliving.com

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will get a lot of good useful advice here, and a lot of the other kind as well, as you see. Be persistent, and you can separate the two.
What year F250? - big difference between 1995 and 2015.
Is there really a semi-permanent parking spot at your friend's? Safe? Access to power? Water? A convenient place (like a clean out) to dump a casette toilet?
'Paying for something you can keep' You mean you are going to get (or already have) a loan to buy the camper?

Cal

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Living in Cap over trailer full time advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS