Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Speaking of tires and truck campers..........
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Speaking of tires and truck campers..........

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With my holding tanks dropping behind rear bumper there is no way I could insert spare wheel crank into the hole with camper on.
Than it takes me about 2 minuted to remove the camper. Max 10 to put it back, but I am working on better guides to speed up that part as well.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the '80s I was a AAA tow truck driver. I had a guy get me out of bed at 4:00 AM, come to his house and change his flat tire in his garage... I wanted to inflict grievious harm on him...

99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
New motor & trans
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors OD, Quadzilla Adrenaline, big injectors, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.
It's a soft riding, stout, high powered old Dodge!

wq93

usa

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

I had a flat on a drivers side steer tire last year on I94 in Michigan and changed it out on the berm with people flying by inches from my butt at 70 per. Had my triangles out and 4 ways on. People are oblivious as they drive, very inconsiderate. I wound up with skinned elbows and a bad attitude but I got it done and continued on.

In the past year in my area two police officers and one fireman have been killed on the side of the road because of inattentive drivers running off the road and hitting them while they were stopped on the shoulder with another vehicle. In one case it was a trooper checking on someone changing a tire and of course he had all of his emergency lights on but that doesn't matter to a texting idiot.

Earlier this week I was coming to a 20 MPH school zone and a minivan blew through a stop sign on a side street directly in front of me with his cellphone stuck to his face, probably using Facetime while he was driving. If I had been in my HD pickup instead of the Corvette there is no way I could have stopped quickly enough to avoid hitting him.

I used to complain about the runflat tires on my 2014 Cadillac ATS and 2016 Corvette Z06 but now I am happy to have them and when my daughter is old enough to drive her first car will definitely be runflat equipped. Having a flat tire has gone from a major hassle to a major danger.

Runflats aren't an option for our heavy trucks but now I am far more tempted to limp one on the shoulder further to either get well off of the road or to an exit. I would rather ruin a tire and wheel than get ruined by a clueless and careless driver.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How often do you really have flats anymore? It was one thing back in the nylon bias ply tire days when you could run over a Tic-Tac and puncture a tire.

Tires today are much more resilient and reliable. As long as you don't let the tires get too bald or too old, you'll go decades between flats.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since 2017.

Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/17 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SugarHillCTD wrote:

While on the subject of spare tires- especially on GM trucks that drive on salted roads- be sure to check and lubricate (w/ Fluid Film?) the winch mechanism on a regular basis.

Those #!!&#!%% things have a tendency to rust solid when ignored. Which just about guarantees that it will not move when you need the spare.

AMEN, BROTHER!

2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne - Your Bright Baby Blues.

Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/17 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wq93 wrote:

In the past year in my area two police officers and one fireman have been killed on the side of the road because of inattentive drivers running off the road and hitting them while they were stopped on the shoulder with another vehicle. In one case it was a trooper checking on someone changing a tire and of course he had all of his emergency lights on but that doesn't matter to a texting idiot.

It's called the moth effect or target fixation. Some believe the emergency lights are the reason people steer towards the emergency vehicle on the side of the road.

Mike

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/17 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's crazy that even where it is law that you move over a lane for emergency vehicles, a lot of drivers don't do it. I try to move over a lane for anything on the shoulder. Sometimes I just do half a lane so folks behind me will get the idea they should move over.
I need to check my access to the spare. Just wondering....will the OEM jack lift the truck with max payload? I carry a 6 ton bottle jack, but...

2016 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

How often do you really have flats anymore? It was one thing back in the nylon bias ply tire days when you could run over a Tic-Tac and puncture a tire.

Tires today are much more resilient and reliable. As long as you don't let the tires get too bald or too old, you'll go decades between flats.

Not if but when and where. Flats are like the lottery. You can buy tickets for years and never hit it or you can buy one ticket and be a millionaire.

I've had 2 flats in my lifetime. One when I was 20 years old and ran my skins bald and last year on the side of 94 with the camper, which, indirectly was my own fault for allowing the tire shop to install cheap rubber valve stems that failed. Why I went to bolt in, all metal stems. For one, they have the highest pressure rating, well above my maximum inflation pressure and two, there is nothing to fail and they look nice on my mirror polished aluminum Alcoa's as well.

Never seen a commercial truck with a rubber stem (I bet) and race car drivers use metal stems as well because they are inherently safer... and are required by their rulebook.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wq93 wrote:

I used to complain about the runflat tires on my 2014 Cadillac ATS and 2016 Corvette Z06 but now I am happy to have them and when my daughter is old enough to drive her first car will definitely be runflat equipped.

On other forum owner of expensive car reported that runflat tires, after driving very short distance separated the "gator" and cost 6-digits damage to car body.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

wq93 wrote:

I used to complain about the runflat tires on my 2014 Cadillac ATS and 2016 Corvette Z06 but now I am happy to have them and when my daughter is old enough to drive her first car will definitely be runflat equipped.

On other forum owner of expensive car reported that runflat tires, after driving very short distance separated the "gator" and cost 6-digits damage to car body.

Lol. Love the Internet! Over $100kmdamage from a tire separation? I guess if you include rolling a GT3 over a cliff at 100mph on a flat tire or something! I'm sure there's a nice story behind that......

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Speaking of tires and truck campers..........
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS