Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Speaking of tires and truck campers..........
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Speaking of tires and truck campers..........

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had our first truck flat while hauling our camper back in July while driving thru Memphis on our way to Colorado. The tire didn't really go flat, it had a belt separate and it started bouncing/shaking so bad that it was undrivable above about 40.

We made it to the next exit and ended up at a corner convenience store with an empty lot next door. My main concern was whether I had enough room to get the long steel rod into the hole in the rear bumper to crank the spare down. I remember checking that on our first truck, but that was 3 trucks ago. Lucky for us, it did go in......barely. I was glad I didn't have to lift the camper to get the rod in.

We put the spare on and drove on to Amarillo, Tx where we found a new tire the next day.

So, if you haven't actually checked to see if you can crank down your spare with the tc in the bed, you might want to check. If our camper had hung down another 1/2" or the overhang had been 6" longer, we would have had to lift the camper. I definitely would not want to do that on the side of the interstate.

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

tattoobob

Billerica, Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Idea, I saw some place where a truck owner turned there mechanism so they could access it from the right wheel well

2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Lwiddis

Lonepine, Inyo County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent advice....change a tire at home using only equipment in the truck. No need to simulate rain, snow, cold, heat, traffic, darkness etc.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a flat on a drivers side steer tire last year on I94 in Michigan and changed it out on the berm with people flying by inches from my butt at 70 per. Had my triangles out and 4 ways on. People are oblivious as they drive, very inconsiderate. I wound up with skinned elbows and a bad attitude but I got it done and continued on. Turned out the valve stem let go (cheap Oriental valve stem). I've since changed all my stems to Milton screw down metal stems, but yes, been there, did that.

I have an older truck with the side mount screw in tire carrier. That will change this year with a front mounted tire carrier.

Flats are a total PITA.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Bubtoofat

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same happened to us in the middle of Nowhere Texas. Belt separation. It was on a Sunday and we couldn't find a replacement for about 250 miles. Finally got to the Sam's Club in El Paso but that's a whole other story. Got the new tire under warranty and back on the road. Lesson learned? If you travel far from home, buy a common tire from a nation wide dealer.

Mike

2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne - Your Bright Baby Blues.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run directional tires on my truck, that is, the direction of rotation is specific so I cannot put a tire on the left side on the right and vice versa, so I run a Michelin all season for a spare because it can be mounted in any position.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brad makes a excellent point regardless of what type of rv we drive/carry or pull.
I'm on the mother road (old US-66) daily in about a 60 mile section. Lots of travelers use the old road for nostalgia reasons. 2-3 times a month I find someone down on the side of the road with a ruined tire scratching their heads.
Either the spare is flat or they don't have a proper jack to raise the flat tire off the ground. I'm amazed at folks wanting to raise the whole side of the vehicle (not just the end of the axle) just to change a flat tire
Whatever rv type you use to travel with make a dry run at home at changing a flat tire. Then is the time to find out if your system works.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

languiduck

Suffolk, VA In a van down by the river

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isn't changing a tire something a driver should learn prior to getting one's driver's license?

2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

SugarHillCTD

Sugar Hill, NH, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While on the subject of spare tires- especially on GM trucks that drive on salted roads- be sure to check and lubricate (w/ Fluid Film?) the winch mechanism on a regular basis.

Those #!!&#!%% things have a tendency to rust solid when ignored. Which just about guarantees that it will not move when you need the spare.

John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'13 Eagle Cap 850
B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

languiduck wrote:

Isn't changing a tire something a driver should learn prior to getting one's driver's license?

Should be....Should be isn't the case. My wife's spare tire changer is me via cell phone....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Speaking of tires and truck campers..........
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS