Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Hurricane Irma Aftermath
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Hurricane Irma Aftermath

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And just when you thought it couldn't get worse...BAM! I-75 getting shutdown north in North Central FL due to rising river level.

2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin and 3.73 RE, Flatbed
1996 F350 7.3L PSD CCLB 4x4
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP
Andersen Ultimate (Aluminum, lowered version)
SBGTF

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Expected that there would be flooding impacting traffic flow north of a hurricane coming ashore.

I grew up in southern Arkansas, most times I've seen US-82 or I-20 closed was flooding due to heavy rainfall upstream of the Red or Ouachita rivers from hurricanes hitting Texas or Louisiana.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you who are concerned about media over-hype, Get A Life! If you think we "dodged a bullet" please come on down and help us clean up. Better yet get out your wallets and send money to those folks still in shelters and those with no homes to return to. Did you hear about the 5 seniors who died in a nursing home? How about all the commercial fishing boats tossed ashore. Am I mad? You bet I am. lizzie

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No hype the Keys took a hard hit for sure!

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Hedwig (Passed), Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,Bilstein 5100's, 303,000 miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GCVW 19,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dance Chick

Winter Haven FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell the people who are hourly workers who had to flee, so won't be getting a paycheck, that they dodged a bullet. Bet they were living paycheck to paycheck....now they have no income. Plus, it costs money to flee...bet it was money they really didn't have. Tell the small businesses who depended on a constant cash flow/customer base to stay in business. Now, they'll probably lose their businesses because they had to flee, so no income flow. And, this doesn't take into account any property that might be destroyed. With higher hurricane deductibles, simply coming up with $5,000 or $10,000 for the deductible will hurt a lot of people.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

frankdamp

Anacortes

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A former colleague at Boeing went to work for Eastern Airlines and moved to the grater Miami area in the early 1970s. I visited once during a Boeing trip and saw their house.

It was a three bedroom rambler in a major development and houses were still under construction in the neighborhood. I was amazed by the construction techniques. Vertical sections of rebar were planted about every 18" in the concrete foundations after they'd been poured. Walls were made of hollow concrete blocks threaded onto the rebar with concrete "gluing" them together.

Once the wall reached the required roof height, another concrete rectangle, similar to the foundation, was poured in forms around the top of the wall, also with horizontal rebar going all around it.

Outside doors all opened outwards so the wind couldn't blow them in. The development got hit pretty hard a few years later, but damage was minimal. I don't know if that type of design/construction was common in Florida.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (9 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frankdamp wrote:

A former colleague at Boeing went to work for Eastern Airlines and moved to the grater Miami area in the early 1970s. I visited once during a Boeing trip and saw their house.

It was a three bedroom rambler in a major development and houses were still under construction in the neighborhood. I was amazed by the construction techniques. Vertical sections of rebar were planted about every 18" in the concrete foundations after they'd been poured. Walls were made of hollow concrete blocks threaded onto the rebar with concrete "gluing" them together.

Once the wall reached the required roof height, another concrete rectangle, similar to the foundation, was poured in forms around the top of the wall, also with horizontal rebar going all around it.

Outside doors all opened outwards so the wind couldn't blow them in. The development got hit pretty hard a few years later, but damage was minimal. I don't know if that type of design/construction was common in Florida.

Actually, no it wasn't back then. But, after awhile Florida started to get the message and changed codes to make things stronger. The reason that the damage is not worse is because of that.

I think that instead of criticizing them we should instead be thanking the weather people and the government that helped to get people out of the way of this storm. If not for the warnings that had been issued and if everyone had stayed in place think about how bad that would have been. The emergency management people would have been overwhelmed.

Then everyone would have complained about that.

They can't win.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To those people who lost their homes and planing to stay and build in that huricane alley again,,maybe you should consider building stronger houses..

Now Im in no way afiliated with this company so cant vouch for anything,,
but it does seems to be a perfect building system for your area..

http://www.tridipanel.com

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Florida dodged the bullet & got off light.

[emoticon]

Dodged a bullet?
What are you smoking or better yet what stations are you watching?

We had a cat4 hurricane hit and then STAY a hurricane and run right up the ENTIRE state of Florida.

Call me I'll send you a plane ticket so you can come down here and see the devastation and homes obliterated. Power/water is still out today over 50% of the state.

I could go on but can't my battery won't last that long because I still DO NOT have power or water and today is going to be in the high 90's. Gas stations empty, no where to get water or supplies. So enjoy YOUR day.

But don't say Florida dodge a bullet and got off light because they did not.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/17 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget that Florida wasn't the only place affected by Irma. To bring the thread back to RV's, both Edisto Beach and Hunting Island State Parks in South Carolina are closed until the end of the year while storm surge and storm related tornado damage is repaired. All reservations until then have been cancelled and refunds are being issued.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Hurricane Irma Aftermath
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS