cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need suggestions for new living in wake of Harvey

dmzno98
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I 62, lost everything in Katrina and now Harvey took the rest. We can't go through this anymore. Life is too short and it keeps kicking our butts. We have access to a F150 and would like to cash out (may need to live in it for awhile) and get a truck camper or a 18ft appox travel trailer. What truck camper is best for f150? is there any negatives about a truck camper we should know? were in good shape, what about dogs? price is a major consideration and negatives about traveling, parks etc. Any help would be appreciated
25 REPLIES 25

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"The consistent prices for cheap trailers I see on my local craigslist."

Your local Craigslist in Wyoming isn't reflective of nationwide pricing and may not be even be for your region.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
> This conclusion is based on what?

The consistent prices for cheap trailers I see on my local craigslist. Admittedly, I haven't checked prices mationwide, but if prices completely crashed in one area, pull it somewhere else to sell. Why, have you bought something in the 1k range and not been able to sell it for close to that? Or are you just trolling?

Of course an inexpensive mobile home offers a lot of livability advantages over a trailer. But I got the impression (maybe inaccurately) that the OP wanted easier mobility than a "mobile" home offers.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

flmat
Explorer
Explorer
good advice to skip truck campers. I took my old camper offf my 69 F-250 and put it on a newer (82 F-250), what a difference. the newer ford couldn't even ride level. If that wasn't enough, the bed is now shallower then the old ones. And those were F-250's, not 150's.

[img][/img]

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"They show in my local craigslist regularly for $1-2k. It won't be pristine but it should work short-term."

Very short term for one to two thousand...as in less than one day.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say where in Texas you are, but my sympathies to you for the loss.
As said, a 150 isn't enough for a truck camper.
Look at pplmotorhomes.com for a tongue pull trailer. Their main lot is at US59 at Loop610 on the southwest side of Houston. They have a couple other lots as well. They will probably have more used RV's than anyone.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Mama's conclusion awaits foundation.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
There are mobile homes out there for cheap that offer a whole lot higher quality of life than a camper. I would think you might find month to month costs would be cheaper than trying to find a place to park.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
you assume he had flood insurance, or was it all caused by wind?
bumpy

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with pconroy that right after a disaster isn't the time to be making decisions with longterm consequences. But I'm also guessing you need a place to live, like right now.

I suggest you head someplace that didn't just have a disaster and start looking for a CHEAP but usable trailer. They show in my local craigslist regularly for $1-2k. It won't be pristine but it should work short-term. Meanwhile, you'll have a roof, a kitchen, and a bathroom while you salvage whatever you can from your house and wait for insurance money. More importantly, you'll have the experience of living in whatever trailer you wind up with. Is it big enough? Do you like the setup? What would you rather have arranged differently? What is included that you don't use, and what do you miss?

Eventually, your life will settle down. At that point, you can decide whether your next step will be an RV with the features you and your wife want, a house, apartment, or something else. You should be able to sell the cheap trailer for close to what you paid for it.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Don't even consider the truck camper with an F-150. Only the smallest would work and that means not a self contained unit. Most any self contained truck camper (toilet, shower, basic kitchen) is way too big for a half ton.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
dmzno98 wrote:
My wife and I 62, lost everything in Katrina and now Harvey took the rest. We can't go through this anymore. Life is too short and it keeps kicking our butts. We have access to a F150 and would like to cash out (may need to live in it for awhile) and get a truck camper or a 18ft appox travel trailer. What truck camper is best for f150? is there any negatives about a truck camper we should know? were in good shape, what about dogs? price is a major consideration and negatives about traveling, parks etc. Any help would be appreciated

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can certainly appreciate your feelings at this time.

I think that pconroy238 gave some good advice. I would recommend you defer any decision until you are able to give a good amount of thought to your position and where you want to go.

That said however, I have been RVing for many years with both trailers, fifth wheels, Truck campers and now a Class A, so I can offer the following advice:

A Truck Camper is probably not what you want to use.
  • A F150 just does not have the capability of carrying a camper that has enough room to live in comfortably long term
  • Many campgrounds will not allow you to take it off the truck so you are forced to move your home every time you need to use the truck
  • The weight of a camper will put a lot of stress on your F150 resulting in more frequent repairs and a shorter lifespan

If you want to understand how adding a camper will affect your truck weights, try this calculator: http://www.visualsc.com/tc_calc.htm

If I was you, I would look for a good used trailer. Although the towing capacity of the F150 is a concern, there is more "wriggle" room.
  • If you are not planning on doing a lot of travelling, you can push the combined weight rating (GCWVR) a little. Just don't exceed the rear axle and tire ratings
  • Using a good weight distribution hitch will help a lot to improve the safety and capability of the truck
  • Make sure the trailer tires and axles are in good condition. Keep the bearings well greased and service regularly
  • There are lots of floor pans out there that will be adaptable for full timing
  • Make sure you get at least a 25 foot trailer as some parks have a minimum size limit (some also have a age/condition limit)
  • Look for a trailer with an "Arctic" pack so that you have the option of using it in cold weather.

Good luck getting back on your feet. Hopefully, things will look a little brighter when everything settles down in a few months.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you get any kind of insurance or other disaster assistance payment why not go with like a 30-40 foot class A and TOW the F-150.. (Though the F-150 is not a ride I like to drive less it's loaded many do tow it (too light in the rear if not loaded) of course you put a "Cap" on it and a few hundred pounds of assorted "Storage" in the bed, it's a darn good ride.. Really like the cockpit, just not the handling
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
An 18' will be too small to live in for any amount of time except maybe a weekend. Unless the F150 is a newer turbo V6, it is not going to be heavy enough for real towing. If you are in Florida, their may be some used trailers that are scuffed up, but more than serviceable for your needs, cheap.

Good luck.
Wildmanbaker

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also sorry for your loss. But right now, you're probably emotionally drained. Probably not the best time to make major lifestyle decisions.

Plenty of folks do what you just outlined - and make it work.
Some don't. Some try it and later decide it's not for them.

My suggestion - read, read, read this forum.
Watch all of the "fulltime RV" videos on youtube you can muster up.

18' would be pretty tight for us, but again, others seem to make it fine in even smaller RVs.

Best wishes on your future!!!