cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing side stair on each side of the bed in Class C

snidekitty1
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newbie to RVing. I just bought my first Class C and I am doing some renovations. Was wondering if the steps? on each side of the queen bed can be removed? Not sure what their purpose is anyway? They just seem to take up space and be in the way. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
15 REPLIES 15

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Gross modifications, I suspect, will detract from resale. Most people like to buy stock or with IMPROVEMENTS, not modifications, especially if they are cobbled up ones.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
you can or can hire somebody to do whatever you would like to do with them but you must examine what they cover first. wheel wells,or pass through storage compartment? if is just storage and your willing to give it up it could be rebuilt without them and put the carpet back on the floor. but how wide are the storage doors? you may have to cover up part of them on the side wall. does the bed lift up for storage under it?

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
I wish mine had those. I'd cut a hole and make a hatch so I could drop dirty laundry into a basket below and take the basket out from outside.

snidekitty1
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Get a couple pieces of attractive plywood and match to your wood with the finish, then just screw them down with the carpet underneath. You can get the edge moulding by the foot at an RV repair place to hide the gap at the walls.

Great idea! Thank you!

snidekitty1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
snidekitty1 wrote:
Yes, I have pass thru storage. So, it is there and I just have to live with it? Ugh! What is under the carpet? Just plywood? If I take the carpet off could I paint it or redo it somehow so it at least looks a little more attractive? Thanks for all the replies!

the only thing I can think of to make them of value would be to get some flush mount marine compartments that would drop into holes cut out in them. the only thing to make them more attractive, (perhaps), would be to cover them with thin plywood faced with stained wood similar to the other cabinets.
but my suggestion is leave them alone rather than cobble something together. if they are so repulsive to you, why did you buy that RV in the first place?
bumpy

It's not "so repulsive", I just do not like it, it was not a deal breaker on buying the RV. I got a great deal on it and as a whole I love the RV, the whole interior is ugh, like most RV interiors to me, especially older ones, that is why I am redoing it. Thanks for your info!

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Get a couple pieces of attractive plywood and match to your wood with the finish, then just screw them down with the carpet underneath. You can get the edge moulding by the foot at an RV repair place to hide the gap at the walls.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
snidekitty1 wrote:
Yes, I have pass thru storage. So, it is there and I just have to live with it? Ugh! What is under the carpet? Just plywood? If I take the carpet off could I paint it or redo it somehow so it at least looks a little more attractive? Thanks for all the replies!

the only thing I can think of to make them of value would be to get some flush mount marine compartments that would drop into holes cut out in them. the only thing to make them more attractive, (perhaps), would be to cover them with thin plywood faced with stained wood similar to the other cabinets.
but my suggestion is leave them alone rather than cobble something together. if they are so repulsive to you, why did you buy that RV in the first place?
bumpy

snidekitty1
Explorer
Explorer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pass thru storage
bumpy

snidekitty1
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is possible it may be there like IAMICHABOD said, because of my outside storage. I will have to double check on that when I get home.

snidekitty1
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot get an image to show up?

snidekitty1
Explorer
Explorer
***Link Removed***

I don't think the last link will work. This is what I am talking about. The carpeted risers or steps next to the wall. Mine connect with the cabinets on each side ot the bed.

snidekitty1
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a picture...

file:///Users/snidekitty1/Desktop/rvbedroomsteps.jpg

This is not mine, just image I found that is similar.
I have a 2003 Gulf Stream Cavalier. It has no slides.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes they have electrical or plumbing lines running under the kick up.

Others like mine where I have outside access to storage the step up to my bed offers more space there,look at your outside storage area,if it is under the bed it may why it is there.

If you list your make and model here or in your signature there may be others that have the same type RV that may be of further help,and as always a picture might help.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C