Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 12v vs 6v battery question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 12v vs 6v battery question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 01:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

Doesn't matter either way 6v or 12v.

If one 12v fails the other one will not function properly after it has been discharged by the faulty one. [emoticon]

SoundGuy wrote:

Only possible if those two 12 volts are run simultaneously in parallel ... run them sequentially and one has nothing to do with the other. With 6 volts one has no choice but to run both together at the same time. Touche. [emoticon]

Huntindog wrote:

But you gotta tie them together for your inverter use: Touche X2

No I don't, nor does anyone else. I only use a single G27 and load support with my truck when under heavy load from my 1000 watt PSW inverter. When the inverter is under relatively light load I still use it but don't even bother with load support - works like a charm. [emoticon] With dual 12 volts, run one as a primary, the other as secondary, wired through a Blue Sea m-Series 6007 Dual Battery Switch.

FWIW, I also run my propane tanks sequentially - don't care whether anyone else approves or not. Touche 3. [emoticon]

To the OP - I personally would prefer dual 12 volt G31s if for no other reason I can always run on one 12 volt but never one 6 volt, but that said if dual 6 volt GC-2s fit better where I wanted to put them then I'd go with them instead. Don't let forum pundits with their so-called "expertise" sway you one way or the other with their armchair biases - either will work just fine for your application, albeit with some differences that are worth understanding but not worth losing sleep over. [emoticon]
Careful, you are joining the battery nerd crowd.

Most people want to plug and play their batteries. And the FACT remains that the benefit of less voltage sag (that you previously touted) for 12s under inverter use does exist, but you gotta use both batteries at once for the best effect.

That WILL negate the backup advantage you touted..... UNLESS you fool around disconnecting one whenever the inverter is NOT being used.... That sir is NOT plug and play.

Neglect to do this once, and that will likely be the time the relativly unreliable 12 fails.

Dog

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good choice, IMO. As long as both CC2 batteries will fit, it makes economic sense to use two golf cart batteries. You will get the most bang for the buck using Costco or Good Sam GC2 batteries.

wowens79 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to measure the area, but I think I'll just have to buy a couple of new battery boxes. Looks like it will only cost about $30 bucks more to go to the GC2's. For that amount, I think it will be worth it for the extra power and longevity of the GC2's

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Dachshund (RIP)
www.thetravelingkoala.blogspot.com
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 23RB
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg

And Blue Ox WDH/Sway Control

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And it is also possible for someone to rear end my TT at a stop light and total it. Probably will not happen, but I'd say the odds are lower than one of two GC2 batteries to unexpectedly fail without any warning.

SoundGuy wrote:

if one your GC-2s fails you're done but if one of your 12 volts fails you simply disconnect it and continue on with the one that still functions properly. Nothing is perfect. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 09/14/17 04:33am by Atlee *

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, you battery guys get feisty about voltage [emoticon]

Thanks for all the good info. I'm gonna install the GC2's this weekend.

#1nobby

Barrie, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no experience with 12V batteries on my trailer as when I got it the lone 12V battery had been absconded with.

Learning from some of the battery nerds on this forum....some more aggressive than others......I decided that 2 - 6V batteries was the best way to go.

I just came back from 6 days of boondocking.....the batteries did great......at the end I was down to 12.1V.

Granted....I don't have an inverter to power a toaster and coffee maker....nor do I watch TV.

Just regular day to day use...swapping out to LED lights will help, as well.

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 12:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The difference in internal resistance between 2 6V in series and 2 12V in parallel is negligible assuming the overall capacity is the same.

It's as easy test to do. Take both types and put a constant load on them and measure what the voltage drops from a fully charged battery.

Therefore, not a reason to choose 12V over 6V batteries.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 05:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

babock wrote:

The difference in internal resistance between 2 6V in series and 2 12V in parallel is negligible assuming the overall capacity is the same.

It's as easy test to do. Take both types and put a constant load on them and measure what the voltage drops from a fully charged battery.

Therefore, not a reason to choose 12V over 6V batteries.

Prove it ... as I can clearly prove otherwise. [emoticon]

As this article clearly proves 12 volt jug internal resistance IS considerable lower and therefore suffer less voltage drop under heavy inverter load than a similarly rated pair of 6 volt jugs. Hard to argue with facts. [emoticon]

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/17 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just did 9 day boondock and even one morning after lots of clouds the previous day (solar) I was down to 12.3v and when my GF fired up the coffee maker 115 amps and then the microwave 130 amps, the 2000 PSW inverter didnt make a sound. This was with 3 AGM grp 31 duracell in parallel.

With my previous setup and 2 GC2 the inverter would alarm.

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Prove it ... as I can clearly prove otherwise. [emoticon]
LOL....the guy uses old batteries of unknown capacity and that is your proof? The golf cart batteries he used were 4 years OLD!!!! The guy is also a nut case if you have ever looked at his blog.

BTW... I am an electrical engineer that used to work on the EV1 when they started out with lead acid batteries.

* This post was last edited 09/15/17 08:40am by babock *   View edit history

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Just did 9 day boondock and even one morning after lots of clouds the previous day (solar) I was down to 12.3v and when my GF fired up the coffee maker 115 amps and then the microwave 130 amps, the 2000 PSW inverter didnt make a sound. This was with 3 AGM grp 31 duracell in parallel.

With my previous setup and 2 GC2 the inverter would alarm.

That must be quite the 2000 watt PSW inverter you have that can run a microwave and coffee pot at the same time with batteries at 65% SOC.

Where can I get one of those awesome inverters?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 12v vs 6v battery question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS