Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 12v vs 6v battery question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 12v vs 6v battery question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

One additional poit. 12 volt batteries generally do not tolerate discharges below 50%.

TWO additional points [emoticon] - 6 volt GC-2s generally suffer greater voltage drop under heavy inverter load due to higher internal resistance, causing the inverter to alarm then shut down long before it would when powered with a pair of of 12 volts with similar capacity, and 2) if one your GC-2s fails you're done but if one of your 12 volts fails you simply disconnect it and continue on with the one that still functions properly. Nothing is perfect. [emoticon]

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't matter either way 6v or 12v.

If one 12v fails the other one will not function properly after it has been discharged by the faulty one. [emoticon]

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

One additional poit. 12 volt batteries generally do not tolerate discharges below 50%.

TWO additional points [emoticon] - 6 volt GC-2s generally suffer greater voltage drop under heavy inverter load due to higher internal resistance, causing the inverter to alarm then shut down long before it would when powered with a pair of of 12 volts with similar capacity, and 2) if one your GC-2s fails you're done but if one of your 12 volts fails you simply disconnect it and continue on with the one that still functions properly. Nothing is perfect. [emoticon]
Those that prefer 12 volts do tend worry about failures... I get it. 12 volts DO fail a lot more often than 6 volts!

When I started out with 12 volts, for quite a few years I did not know about the 6 volts (before internet) my TTs were always sporting new 12 volts. Once I switched to 6 volts, my battery purchases slowed down big time.

6 volts hardly ever quit all at once, as is in a shorted cell etc. They usually just slowly decline... So you are not caught by surprise.

Dog

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

TWO additional points [emoticon] - 6 volt GC-2s generally suffer greater voltage drop under heavy inverter load due to higher internal resistance, causing the inverter to alarm then shut down long before it would when powered with a pair of of 12 volts with similar capacity,
Not an issue for the OP's intended use. Start surge is too short to matter. The 12 amp draw while running will be mostly if not fully supported by the tow vehicle. In time of no power the 2x GC2 will out last the 2x 24s in all conditions.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

If one 12v fails the other one will not function properly after it has been discharged by the faulty one. [emoticon]

Only possible if those two 12 volts are run simultaneously in parallel ... run them sequentially and one has nothing to do with the other. With 6 volts one has no choice but to run both together at the same time. Touche. [emoticon]

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

Only possible if those two 12 volts are run simultaneously in parallel ... run them sequentially and one has nothing to do with the other. With 6 volts one has no choice but to run both together at the same time. Touche. [emoticon]
But you gotta tie them together for your inverter use: Touche X2

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

One additional point. 12 volt batteries generally do not tolerate discharges below 50%.
GC batteries do much better... There are some here that routinely take them down 80%!

That is a generalization. If you had TRUE 12V deep cycle batteries (not easy to locate/purchase but they do exist) the depth of discharge would be the same.

Two 6V golf cart batteries from either Costco or Sams is still the "best bang for the buck".

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As has been demonstrated, comparing 6v and 12v is similar to comparing which diesel is better, which RV construction method is better, etc.

Aside from possible "what ifs", and "oh yeah? what abouts", the average RVer will be many dollars and illuminated nights ahead by selecting the run of the mill 6v golf cart batteries over the the typically available 12v "deep cycle" batteries.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

But you gotta tie them together for your inverter use: Touche X2

No I don't, nor does anyone else. I only use a single G27 and load support with my truck when under heavy load from my 1000 watt PSW inverter. When the inverter is under relatively light load I still use it but don't even bother with load support - works like a charm. [emoticon] With dual 12 volts, run one as a primary, the other as secondary, wired through a Blue Sea m-Series 6007 Dual Battery Switch.

FWIW, I also run my propane tanks sequentially - don't care whether anyone else approves or not. Touche 3. [emoticon]

To the OP - I personally would prefer dual 12 volt G31s if for no other reason I can always run on one 12 volt but never one 6 volt, but that said if dual 6 volt GC-2s fit better where I wanted to put them then I'd go with them instead. Don't let forum pundits with their so-called "expertise" sway you one way or the other with their armchair biases - either will work just fine for your application, albeit with some differences that are worth understanding but not worth losing sleep over. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 09/13/17 12:21am by SoundGuy *

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 01:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

One additional point. 12 volt batteries generally do not tolerate discharges below 50%.
GC batteries do much better... There are some here that routinely take them down 80%!

That is a generalization. If you had TRUE 12V deep cycle batteries (not easy to locate/purchase but they do exist) the depth of discharge would be the same.

Two 6V golf cart batteries from either Costco or Sams is still the "best bang for the buck".
Agreed. And I DID state that!!

As a practical matter though 12 colt true deep cycles are so hard to find and expensive, that hardly anyone uses them. So why even bring it up?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 12v vs 6v battery question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS