Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 12v vs 6v battery question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 12v vs 6v battery question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got to replace my 2 batteries on my TT. We typically camp with power so we don't boondock. We do have a residential fridge, with an inverter, and the batteries to get a little charge from the truck. Currently I have 2 grp 24 deep cycles. Battery power has never been an issue, but since I'm replacing I thought I'd look at my options. We are looking at doing a trip out west, so on the drive out, batteries might be a concern.

I read pages of battery debate last night until my head was spinning, so I thought I'd get opinions based on my situation, and the batteries I'm debating.

I'm looking at Duracell Batteries from Sam's. I'll be buying 2 of which ever I go with.
24 DCC GC2
20 amp hour rate 75 20 amp hour rate 215
minutes at 25 amps: 130 minutes at 25 amps: 395

The price difference is less than $5.

I'm not an electrical genius, so with the ratings of the batteries, do I have to divide the GC2 ratings in half since it is only 6V?? If so, it still looks like it has a significant increase in power.

With them wired in series, will my current converter charge the CG2's??

Any other concerns I should have??

Thanks!

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider physical size of the batteries. Will they fit where your current batteries are? My 6V's are taller than my former 12V's.

If the 2 group 24's do the job for you, then keep that setup.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

RDMueller

Charlotte, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With 2 12v batteries in parallel, you double the AH, so in your case, 75x2=150AH. With 2 6V batteries in series, you double the voltage to get 12V, but the AH stays the same, in your case, 215AH.

Yes, your converter will charge the GC2s.

Since you don't dry camp, it really is not a big deal either way, but you will have more power available to keep your fridge going while driving if the truck isn't providing enough. IMO, can't go wrong with GC2s.

Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GC2's will likely last more years too. I was lucky to get 2 or 3 years out of my "deep cycle" 12v batteries. The least I've gotten from 6v batteries is 8 years.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

BadgerMcAdams

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GC's are designed to take a pounding. From going out with my dad when he played golf, the carts took a beating. Everyone thought they were Dale Earnhardt or Richard Petty. There were two speeds, dead stop and wide open. I listened to dad talk to the guy who maintained them and he said they would have to change the batteries out every 3 years or so. But that was due to the beating they took. This was also back in the early 70's so not sure how much of an improvement they have made over the years.

When I was active duty Air Force, we had dozens of them on the base. These too would take a beating (again the 2 speed syndrome)...The batteries lasted for several years under less that optimal conditions (Phoenix Arizona summers to name one). We would weekly check the batteries for corrosion, and wash them off and check the water levels.

I currently have two of the Sams Club GC2's in my truck camper and have had absolutely no problems with them. Just take care of them, keep the water levels up and they should last you for years.

Just my 2 cents...

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Comparing two Group 24 12 volt batteries to two GC-2 6 volt batteries is like comparing apples to oranges - yes, the footprint will be similar but the former will only be worth ~ 150 AH while the latter ~ 215 AH, @ the 20 Hr rate. Two Group 31 12 volt jugs better match two GC-2s based on rating but of course the footprint will be larger.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes the GC2 will be a significant increase in power. I think the GC2 will outperform the 24s both in longer life and better service when in use.

Yes the converter will charge the 24s or GC2s just fine. Although a multi-stage converter would always be better no matter what your battery choice. Post the converter model number for best answers.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One additional point. 12 volt batteries generally do not tolerate discharges below 50%.
GC batteries do much better... There are some here that routinely take them down 80%!

Now these tend to battery nerds so to speak. They monitor everything, and have specific charging routines they use to get the most out of the batteries...

But it is nice to know that if you happen to deep discharge a GC battery, that it stands a pretty good chance of surviving.

* This post was edited 09/12/17 04:33pm by Huntindog *

Dog

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. I'm going to measure the area, but I think I'll just have to buy a couple of new battery boxes. Looks like it will only cost about $30 bucks more to go to the GC2's. For that amount, I think it will be worth it for the extra power and longevity of the GC2's

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to measure the area, but I think I'll just have to buy a couple of new battery boxes. Looks like it will only cost about $30 bucks more to go to the GC2's. For that amount, I think it will be worth it for the extra power and longevity of the GC2's

Good choice. Do check the height of your battery box, the GC2 are about 1 1/2 - 2 inches taller than your GRP24.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 12v vs 6v battery question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS