Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Easier access to cabover bed
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Easier access to cabover bed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the round to it forever but I sort of finally addressed.
Not what I envisioned but will, at least for a while, make climbing up and down into the cabover easier.
[image]

Really wanted a wide tread ladder-but due to slide out, water tank box just would be involved.
Still may address later but for now...Simple extension of existing 'stirrup' into full width step.
Previously..
[image]
Step onto water tank box, then right foot on the 'stirrup', then hoist up onto bed. Just not getting any easier.
Every time I start to address end up stumped and giving up. Biggest hurtle is when slide out is in, no room for nice ladder.
It would need to hinge or be manually stored. Second is water tank box puts the foot of any 'ladder' out pretty far.

Studying above picture is when I concluded the real usage issue is the stirrup.
The distance wouldn't decrease but if full width, would allow to step onto it. Not hoisting with foot on it from water tank box,
or coming down, sliding down with left foot on stirrup till the right foot finds box.

[image]
Sketched it out..think this'll work, some (several) details but went and gathered up materials and started cutting.

[image]
Cut 3/4" plywood for the step, it'll hinge to side cabinet. Leg hinged to step, used 1/2 ply.
Cut it wider at base, hopefully to counter length of step against hinge.

[image]
Wrapped boards in leftover carpet, used scrap of 1/2"x3/4" al channel for a wider foot.

[image]
Standing new step against cabinet it wouldn't stand vertically-hit the 1x2 that use to hold drop in shelf and the top of cabinet.
I pulled the 1x2 and trimmed opposite end of top so only 1/2" overhang.

[image]
Simple hook and eye to hold up in stored position. Placed the removed 1x2 on floor to keep leg from folding under.

[image]
Deployed- Margaret really likes it. Watching though I noted how much leverage end of step was putting on piano hinge at cabinet end.
Tried to address but simply working the hinge.

[image]
Ordered some over-center cam latches. #4002, sold by many online vendors.

[image]
Bent the catches a bit and mounted reversed as latch will be pulling at right angle instead of flat as designed

[image]
'Just' enough room (1/8" clear) to swing handle over to engage latch into catches, then swing up to tension.
Shear luck but they securely plant end of step.

* This post was edited 09/11/17 09:07pm by AnEv942 *

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well 4 hours later finally posted-not sure whats up with the forum-
Trying to preview post and 'verify not a robot loop took me back to square one...more effort than the step
Anyway, there are a couple other threads along this subject-just what we ended up doing in ours

Slide in
[image]

Slide out
[image]

New step down
[image]

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks very good...practical...matches up. Nice.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar - parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for USC & historical flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county campgrounds. 14 year Army vet.

tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nicely done, I could use something like that. Just what I need another project, lol.

• 2001 GMC Durmax
  • 2006 Wells Cargo
  • 1986 Honda CT110 Trail
  • 75' Honda CT90 1995 8'6" Lance Lite
26'Nomad 5th wheel

GeoBoy

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice, well thought out.

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The step up into our bunk was quite high also. Not such a problem getting into bed but rather coming down half asleep in the middle of the night. This was my first and highest priority for Yoly. With some difficulty, I did manage to get some matching material for the sake of esthetics.

[image]

I had to have the front open to access the converter and hung screen over the front to allow ventilation (cooling fans in converter).

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the hinge-up idea... Looking good...

Roy Ken
[image]

SidecarFlip

Deerfield, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'd think (probably not) that builder would address getting into and out of a cab over bed, especially for the older set (like my wife and I.

I cheaped out and bought a Topline aluminum bunk ladder. I looked at wooden ones and even considered building one (with my limited woodworking skills, probably would have been not too cool) so I bought a pre built one.

I like the Topline ladder because it locks into 2 moulded hard plastic hinge affairs that screw to the bulkhead on the bed rail and it locks in so it cannot slide out and let you fall on your kester in the middle of the night for those midnight whiz trips we oldsters always have to make.

very secure but removes in a flash and stores on the bed so it takes up no precious room, always a premium in a truck camper.

My wife and I like it and it works well.... and it's very lightweight too.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's nice looking work, and highly functional.

Cal

Lwiddis

Los Angeles :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"but rather coming down half asleep in the middle of the night."

Pray tell, why would you beith coming down...in the middle of the night? lol

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Easier access to cabover bed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS