cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easier access to cabover bed

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
On the round to it forever but I sort of finally addressed.
Not what I envisioned but will, at least for a while, make climbing up and down into the cabover easier.

Really wanted a wide tread ladder-but due to slide out, water tank box just would be involved.
Still may address later but for now...Simple extension of existing 'stirrup' into full width step.
Previously..

Step onto water tank box, then right foot on the 'stirrup', then hoist up onto bed. Just not getting any easier.
Every time I start to address end up stumped and giving up. Biggest hurtle is when slide out is in, no room for nice ladder.
It would need to hinge or be manually stored. Second is water tank box puts the foot of any 'ladder' out pretty far.

Studying above picture is when I concluded the real usage issue is the stirrup.
The distance wouldn't decrease but if full width, would allow to step onto it. Not hoisting with foot on it from water tank box,
or coming down, sliding down with left foot on stirrup till the right foot finds box.

Sketched it out..think this'll work, some (several) details but went and gathered up materials and started cutting.

Cut 3/4" plywood for the step, it'll hinge to side cabinet. Leg hinged to step, used 1/2 ply.
Cut it wider at base, hopefully to counter length of step against hinge.

Wrapped boards in leftover carpet, used scrap of 1/2"x3/4" al channel for a wider foot.

Standing new step against cabinet it wouldn't stand vertically-hit the 1x2 that use to hold drop in shelf and the top of cabinet.
I pulled the 1x2 and trimmed opposite end of top so only 1/2" overhang.

Simple hook and eye to hold up in stored position. Placed the removed 1x2 on floor to keep leg from folding under.

Deployed- Margaret really likes it. Watching though I noted how much leverage end of step was putting on piano hinge at cabinet end.
Tried to address but simply working the hinge.

Ordered some over-center cam latches. #4002, sold by many online vendors.

Bent the catches a bit and mounted reversed as latch will be pulling at right angle instead of flat as designed

'Just' enough room (1/8" clear) to swing handle over to engage latch into catches, then swing up to tension.
Shear luck but they securely plant end of step.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com
25 REPLIES 25

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"but rather coming down half asleep in the middle of the night."

Pray tell, why would you beith coming down...in the middle of the night? lol

When you get to be my age.... The middle of the night (usually about 3am) is something that happens most every night. IOW, got to go...

Have to be extra careful not to disturb the wife.:)
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Just updating: Fixed

What I should have done after receiving the latches, but almost worked.

Removed step leg, remounted inboard.
Relocate the latch catches to match and the stop block with an additional 1/8" between it and catches.
Once leg down, latch hoops stay in catches, cant come out, but a bit easier to insert.
Gained almost an inch for latch handles and more room for hands. Slide can be ยฑ2" from full extension and latches work.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Well the step 'adjustments' are on hold.
When I had offloaded camper I found later the cardboard I used so bumpers slides on bed coating was soaked.

Looking under camper water is dripping out of every seam.
Disassembled the water tank box assuming at worst tank cracked and need to remove.

Took a while to register, its setting over against the right side. Tank moved 3" sideways. There's no restraint to stop it?
What happened was we hit a very narrow but deep/unmarked cement gutter crossing road on a back street making a wrong turn. Hit it hard.

Anyway- Removed small tin box to remove fill and vent hoses preparing to remove tank, discovered fill was already loose! Determined when tank moved hose caught edge of hole as shown-simply pulled it off. Sloshing water out. Pulled the hose, re-position tank and added blocks to floor stopping movement. Opened up the hole about 3/4". Reattached the fill (and replaced the vent-its black inside) Refilled the tank 3/4 and went for a very long weaving bouncing drive, doing everything to make it slosh. Pretty sure this was the source but want to make sure. Got home its bone dry. Whew!

Campers still apart letting it air out, been a week. As its open and our black tank hasn't registered in a while (and I cut the fresh sender wire) we decided to take the opportunity add a See Level system to monitor tanks. Eventually get back to the step when I put it all back together...

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Home again home again. Just finished unloading the camper. Tomorrow pull slide out to clean camper and I'll 'fine tune' the step. Lot of good ideas.
As the latches were added after the step was done it's why the spacing is so close-almost worked. Perfect slide deploy (level concrete at home) latches clear by 1/8" but in actual use slide outward travel varies, slightly less and the 1/8" goes away. Unable to swing down hoops past 90ยฐ wont go into catches. Anyway I'm simply going to remove leg, remount 1/2-3/4" inboard- should give enough room with varying slide out movement to swing latches. Also move the catches and stop block, with an extra 1/8" gap between.

tattoobob: I had originally planned on the latches inside of leg for easier access instead of converter side but caused the leg in stowed position to stick out (a lot) looked funny and if leaned against or bouncing on the road, would pry on the hinge.

RickW, user113: The latches other than capturing leg-stop lateral and rocking movement, is compressing the carpet. As to 2 latches- because its on carpet needs them both I think. Step is 28" long, any movement/rocking leverages the cabinet side piano hinge, it wouldn't resist for long. Which is why added the latches-tensions downward, compress carpet to stop rocking. Also the latches keeps step from moving/twisting laterally.

towpro: Ha, we've been using this one. Sets in the corner (was on little step). Foot off bed it comes on, stays on for about a minute. Open bath door it comes back on- stays on long enough to get into bed and situated. Or getting a midnight snack stays on while on the floor. Use to use the stove vent light- more than a few-hit the gen start button or the really loud fan. They are nice- hmm a second one in bathroom...

Just need to clearance/adjust, adding to what I had already done didn't quite work. But I gotta say, details withstanding, step usage is awesome.
Kayteg1: Yes the little side 'stirrup' worked, used on a few different campers but the the full width is sooo much easier, especially getting down.
Just playing catch up.

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
now One of THESE sitting on the original step below the one you build.
When you 2nd foot comes down, light comes on and it will softly light up path back to bathroom, and the light will not affect the other person in bunk sleeping.
I have one on my 5er that has gone 2 years on same batteries I think.

I need that or a softer light in the bathroom man does the light blind me in the middle of the night
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
now One of THESE sitting on the original step below the one you build.
When you 2nd foot comes down, light comes on and it will softly light up path back to bathroom, and the light will not affect the other person in bunk sleeping.
I have one on my 5er that has gone 2 years on same batteries I think.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

user113
Explorer III
Explorer III
Seems to me that one latch would be more than sufficient.
2022 Palomino HS-2901
2004 Dodge RAM 3500

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another thought:

Could you add a folding table leg brace to the leg and a second 1x2 to the base to form a slot for the leg to fit into? Would that be enough stability without the clamps?

Nice job.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

Aren't the latches adjustable for cam over tension?

Yes, which I've had to readjust. Mainly its the front latch, handle hits converter wont swing down enough so that latch hoop goes into catch. Both hoop of latches and bottom of step leg trying to fit between the catch and wood block at same time.

Just need to move both the catches and wood block away from converter and increase the space between them and each other. Details
Part of the issue is one end of step is attached to slide the other to fixed floor- on the truck/ground twist or in the drive stuff never quite the same. Probably tonight when we stop it'll likey be the back hoop that hitting. Dime against a dollar when we get home -offload on the cement it'll all work like set up...

Great step Mod.
Could you move the wood block to the left side and the latches to the right under the step? that may work better and you won't have to wedge your hand in between the converter and the step support (Just a thought)
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like a nice job.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I like it! Too bad they don't make something like the Arctic Fox step/seat with adjustable anchor straps to use in other campers other than Arctic Fox.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Nice carpentry.
Would you figure it out for small access as well, I would be all for it.
I see you camper had factory small step on the side. I had that on Fleetwood and it was all we needed.
Our present Lance doesn't have it and we use plastic stool for now.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:

Aren't the latches adjustable for cam over tension?

Yes, which I've had to readjust. Mainly its the front latch, handle hits converter wont swing down enough so that latch hoop goes into catch. Both hoop of latches and bottom of step leg trying to fit between the catch and wood block at same time.

Just need to move both the catches and wood block away from converter and increase the space between them and each other. Details
Part of the issue is one end of step is attached to slide the other to fixed floor- on the truck/ground twist or in the drive stuff never quite the same. Probably tonight when we stop it'll likey be the back hoop that hitting. Dime against a dollar when we get home -offload on the cement it'll all work like set up...

mi_drew
Explorer
Explorer
Great job. I haven't seen a camper yet that couldn't use something like that.