cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AUX GRAVITY FEED DIESEL TANK 2017 RAM 3500

trucker495
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a new ram 3500 and am curious if a gravity feed fuel tank can be installed. I plan to move the tank from my 05 ram to the new truck. Will appreciate any feedback.
04 HR ALUMASCAPE 31' TRAVEL TRAILER
05 RAM 3500 4X4 CTD SRW CREW CAB LONGBED
20 REPLIES 20

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
minnow wrote:
Wild Card wrote:
?..Just curious why some ask a forum and not RDS themselves??

Because if we all did that, there would be no need to places like this. Plus do you really think a seller would honestly tell you their product won't work?

So far mine has worked great for 4 years. Not one drop of fuel spilled and not one problem with the truck freaking out thinking it's not using fuel because the main tank stays full most of the time. Never jade any problems with the truck gaining fuel while driving down the road either meaning having the fuel gauge showing a quarter tank and filling the aux tank and take off down the road. The gauge constantly gaining until full while driving.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
?..Just curious why some ask a forum and not RDS themselves??

Because if we all did that, there would be no need to places like this. Plus do you really think a seller would honestly tell you their product won't work?

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Curious, how does a gravity feed setup work? Seems to me that it would just keep gravity feeding until the top tank had run all the fuel on the ground!

Like I said in my previous post, there is a tee installed into the factory filler tube down next to where it goes into the factory fuel tank. That tee is where the line coming from the aux tank is hooked to feed the factory tank. Inside of that tee is a check valve that shuts off the fuel coming from the aux tank when it gets to that level. As the truck burns fuel the check valve will allow fuel to flow in until it fills back to that point. My particular set up gravity flows through a 3/8" line to feed the factory tank. It keeps my factory tank full until the aux tank runs out.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Curious, how does a gravity feed setup work? Seems to me that it would just keep gravity feeding until the top tank had run all the fuel on the ground!

See above. The tee in the filler tube has a check valve.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
With all that being said, those that have the tanks, how do you control the flow, do you stop and open a valve then watch gauge then stop and close the valve or is it in the open position all the time??
I have thought about putting a RDS tank in but had also thought I use a normally closed 12v solenoid valve that I could switch open while driving then switch it off when its filled or nearly filled the truck tank...any ideas??

My valve stays open all the time. As long as both fuel caps are on tight, the tank will not overfill.

My 15 doesn't have a fuel tank cap other than the 0-ring one I installed to help keep dirt out. It does sound like after reading other posts that there is a backflow preventer in line.

Yes, it is in the "tee' that gets installed in the factory filler tube down next to the factory tank. When the factory tank fills to the check valve the little ball floats up to stop the incoming flow. Mine has worked great for two trucks now. 2013 and 2016 Rams. I have never had a problem with leaving my valve open. When I need fuel and not towing I just fill my aux tank and go. It fills my factory tank. The only time I put a nozzle in the factory fill tube is when I'm going on a trip and need to fill both tanks. Then I will fill the factory tank first and then the aux tank. My factory tank stays full 90% of the time.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
With all that being said, those that have the tanks, how do you control the flow, do you stop and open a valve then watch gauge then stop and close the valve or is it in the open position all the time??
I have thought about putting a RDS tank in but had also thought I use a normally closed 12v solenoid valve that I could switch open while driving then switch it off when its filled or nearly filled the truck tank...any ideas??

My valve stays open all the time. As long as both fuel caps are on tight, the tank will not overfill.

My 15 doesn't have a fuel tank cap other than the 0-ring one I installed to help keep dirt out. It does sound like after reading other posts that there is a backflow preventer in line.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
When mine was just gravity fed I had to open and close the gas valve. It messed up the fuel gauge gauge on the dash. GMC said it was blowing the computers mine saying I had 600 miles to empty. That was one of the reasons I put an electric pump on it. I control the pump from a switch on the dash.
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I have an RDS 45 gallon that I bought for my '06 3500. When we upgraded to the 2015 RAM I took it out of the '06 and put it in the new truck right after we got it. It's been in there for over two years now and serving us well! I love it.

Dan

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Works in a 15. And no change from 15 to 17. Just curious why some ask a forum and not RDS themselves??

I ask questions to this forum because it's a matter of convince, I don't have to look up phone numbers or give my information to anyone else. I can type up my questions and come back later when I have time and sort though the replies and try and weed out the ones talking out their @$$ and the ones who know. I know someone here probably has real world experience and I like that.

To the OP I have one on my 2016 and love it and have no issues. As far as I can tell the 2017 isn't any different in those areas that matter. When everyone was was out hoarding gas after the hurricane I had enough to last a couple weeks until after the madness ended, plus it saved me money because the price went up a minimum of about 20 cents a gallon from the time I bought diesel and the hurricane hit south of me. Really love having an extra 91 gallons if I want it.
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Redwoodcamper wrote:
I will be welding up my own aluminum tank, not using rds.

RDS makes the adapter kit. Tank maker is irrelevant.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
I have an aux tank in my GMC At first it was gravity fed but was real slow. Put an aux. pump on it and now it works great. The tank is designed to fit in a short wheel base truck with a fifth wheel hitch
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL