cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

radio delete

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I never used the radio in my trailer. The 'ol Jensen is now on the shelf in the garage to go with the camper if I ever sell it. I made a shadow box as a place to set my coffee cup and TV remotes. My chair is right next to this.

18 REPLIES 18

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I removed mine 12 yrs ago makes for great peace in the Wyoming Range

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I do like to watch a couple of news programs on the TV set in the evening. And I like velocity channel. Mostly I read. One of the best modern inventions for me as a traveler is the electronic book ( kindle ).
As for Blutooth speaker, I got the Sony XB20. It was $100 at Best Buy, works easy enough and sounds pretty good for as small as it is. Mostly I like that I can set it right next to me, and at just reasonable volume level, I can hear it over the noise of the roof air-conditioner.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I see your list of TV channels. I agree with almost all of them. But, I've found that I am a much happier person when I quit watching the TV news. It's all just paparazzi hype. It makes you afraid of everything and paranoid.

Best thing I ever did was to quit watching the news. Second best thing I ever did was to cut way back on TV viewing all together.

I go out and do things. The TV is for rainy days.

Yep, that's about the only time ours is on.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
I listen to music all the time, so that wouldn't work for me. The iPod is hooked up to the radio and goes all day. The television though, it's hardly ever on.

I stay in a lot of CG's where the neighbors are fairly close. Couple that with I typically like to have the windows open, and the fact I have a fair bit of hearing loss....with speakers I have to have the volume up quite a bit. Makes using the trailer speakers kind of rude to the neighbors.

So I like to use my small Sony bluetooth speaker and have it close to me ( I use it for the TV set also ) or use my headphones. The built in Jensen I removed had literally only been turned on a couple of times in six years.

Our camper has the outside speakers in the awning ends. They are pretty low quality and sound terrible if cranked up. When they go, I'll invest in a decent Bluetooth speaker. When the music is on, I always walk around to find how it affects the neighbors. At some point, I'll probably remove the junky Jenson and make a cubby hole, also.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see your list of TV channels. I agree with almost all of them. But, I've found that I am a much happier person when I quit watching the TV news. It's all just paparazzi hype. It makes you afraid of everything and paranoid.

Best thing I ever did was to quit watching the news. Second best thing I ever did was to cut way back on TV viewing all together.

I go out and do things. The TV is for rainy days.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I almost never use the radio in my TT. I have a portable radio with CD and Cassette . It is so easy to carry outside and then carry back inside that I've found it works great for what I need.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpa Kip, I sent you a PM.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
I listen to music all the time, so that wouldn't work for me. The iPod is hooked up to the radio and goes all day. The television though, it's hardly ever on.

I stay in a lot of CG's where the neighbors are fairly close. Couple that with I typically like to have the windows open, and the fact I have a fair bit of hearing loss....with speakers I have to have the volume up quite a bit. Makes using the trailer speakers kind of rude to the neighbors.

So I like to use my small Sony bluetooth speaker and have it close to me ( I use it for the TV set also ) or use my headphones. The built in Jensen I removed had literally only been turned on a couple of times in six years.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
We use our radio quite a bit, and would miss it if it wasn't there... I bet most people would agree, and resale would suffer on a unit with no radio. So I would not recommend anyone do a permanent delete Be a shame to lose potential sales over something like that.( I understand that GMW kept the radio just for that reason)

That's a good point when modifying a trailer to our own tastes. I do all of my mods so they can be undone and the trailer taken back to stock.
I removed the front fold down bunk because it was in my way and not needed. But I could re-install it in about thirty minutes.

I have no plans to sell this trailer, but who knows, I might change my mind in a few years.

Part of the fun of the trailer is doing mods to make it more usable for my style of use. And for me, this is the real value of looking at these forums. To see the mods people make and get ideas for my own use.

When I want to listen music, I use my iTunes and either my headset or a small Sony bluetooth speaker.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
We use our radio quite a bit, and would miss it if it wasn't there... I bet most people would agree, and resale would suffer on a unit with no radio. So I would not recommend anyone do a permanent delete Be a shame to lose potential sales over something like that.( I understand that GMW kept the radio just for that reason)

a radio is not even on my list of must haves, want to have, etc. when looking at a rV. that is why they invented tVs.
bumpy

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Nice job!!
On our last TT I figured the large area the tiny radio occupied must be mostly empty. I opened it up and found I was right. I ended up turing it into a cabinet and making a place for a DVD player to sit.
Makes you wonder what they're thinking. Storae is always important and they just ignore these useful area's.
Our new trailer has a large empty space above the fridge and I've got my eye on it.

our tt had a large space above the fridge too, possibly to accomadate a taller 2 door unit. I turned that space into a cabinet

our radio/cassette player is mounted in a stupidly large empty space too, I like the mod done by the op, my radio is right by the door, great place for a key/phone cubby
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
At some time the previous owner removed the AM aerial. So mine is just FM, CD and DVD. It is also part of my phantom loads.

I pull the fuse when I am on battery.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.