Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Seeking opinions on Murphy beds
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Seeking opinions on Murphy beds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been shopping for smaller bunkhouse models and see Murphy beds popping up more and more. They must be the new standard or fad.

I'm seeking opinions from owners of travel trailers about how they like the beds and how they compare to a fixed queen bed. Are they a pain to deal with? I've looked at them but haven't met anyone that actually owns one.

Your honest input would be much appreciated.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rrupert wrote:

We have been shopping for smaller bunkhouse models and see Murphy beds popping up more and more. They must be the new standard or fad.

I'm seeking opinions from owners of travel trailers about how they like the beds and how they compare to a fixed queen bed.

Wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole for one simple reason - FAR less front pass through cargo storage compartment that with a conventional front queen bed trailer. Heck, even my own 19' Coachmen has a HUGE front pass through compartment - no way I'd give this up for a Murphy bed.

[image]

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Shadow Cruiser 195WSB with a walk a round queen bed. We also up graded to a std 60 x 80 Sleep Number C3 bed which is 6" longer than what came with the TT!

We camp with only the two of us and don't miss the inside space. I think I miss the storage more than gaining a low and low quality couch.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

[image]

Put a mattress in there and you have an extra bedroom. [emoticon]

danimal53

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

after our 3rd summer with our TT, we kind of wish we got a murphy bed model. The storage underneath is great, but I think we'd prefer the extra living space, especially in chilly or rainy weather. We end up storing our hitch, hoses, cords and setup/take down type things under there, but I'm sure we could be more creative or organized to make up for the lost storage space. We also have the back door storage under the bottom bunk.

2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

bailer6334

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/11/17 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a Forest River Mini Lite 24ft 2304KS with the Murphy bed.

The good was the queen bed was comfortable, easy to make the bed, and you could walk around it 3/4 of the way. It also gave you a shorter TT.

The bad was not super easy to lift, when the bed was down, could not use the couch, was high to get in and out, and gave no privacy.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
2016 Chevy 2500HD LT 6.6L DMAX 4WD
Equalizer 4 Point WDH

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked at the Mini-Lites with and without the Murphy bed. What a difference in storage. Our front pass through is like SoundGuy's and I wouldn't trade it for more interior room, especially since most of our time is outside. And there is interior storage under the bed as well.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2008 Nissan Frontier CC 4WD

ulvik

Smoky Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a Rockwood 2304DS with a Murphy bed and have no complaints at all. It is not bad at all to take up and down at all and only takes a minute. The big bonus is that our TT is only 24ft compared to over 30 ft for the same layout if the bed was affixed. In my opinion it is a great plus. As far as storage it does cut down on some but I removed the front plywood that closed off the front area and it opened up plenty of space. We travel a great deal for 3 or 4 months at a time and find it great to get in the best spots!

2010 GMC 1500
2015 Rockwood 2404ds
Great Smokey Mountains

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased a new TT this year, and went with a fixed queen bed. DW didn't like the idea of having to make the bed every day, and we were unwilling to give up the front pass thru storage.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the concept so much that I gutted our toy hauler and built my own Murphy bed.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Seeking opinions on Murphy beds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS