cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

03 HR Ambassador Sudden Loud Air Leak Driver Side

staltydog
Explorer
Explorer
We have recently built a Storage Building on a level concrete pad. In the past the area was not level and I parked with the air parking brake on. Now that it is level I used wheel chocks and parking brake off. However, I went to start the coach after about 3 weeks parked I noticed the parking brake control button was popped up in the On position. Once started the air tanks began to fill and at about 80 PSI I heard a loud air leak noise directly under the driver side. I did a quick look under and could not find an "obvious" leak. Also, the Brake light would never go out - although the brake did not seem to be on as I could put the coach in gear and no noticeable brake seemed on. Is there a valve somewhere I should check? Any advice on this Roadmaster chassis?
6 REPLIES 6

staltydog
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info. I will work on it this weekend.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Monaco installed valves at the front of the coach (next to generator) and at the rear of the coach (next to hitch) to drain air tanks. Make sure the front valve isn't open. It's a brass handled valve. Should be next to an air coupling.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

staltydog
Explorer
Explorer
Also correct I have never bled the tank. I will do that as well. Thank you. Just new to this we have only had the coach over a year.

staltydog
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I had read in other forums that parking / storing for long periods of time with the parking brake on can cause it to lock up. I have engaged the park brake on and off several times to no avail. We never fully pressurize to 120 PSI gets to about 80. As soon as I cut the coach off the air pressure drops quickly and difficult to find due the short period of time before it stops. I didn't want to be under the coach long while running. The strange thing is everything was functional prior to parking. I thought there may be a specific valve for the parking brake (other than the plunger) that may be stuck open?

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Your parking brake activates with no air pressure. When the air pressure bled off the brakes set. You have an air leak somewhere. Don't move the MH till the leak is fixed, you may have the parking brake engage as you go down the road if the air pressure leaks off.
Check the bleed valve on the bottom of the air tank, it may be clogged with rust if you don't bleed your tank regularly. Even with an automatic spit type valve, always bleed some air out of the tank at least once a week to make sure you don't have any water in the air tank. My guess, you have never bled the tank.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure why you thought parking with the brakes off was a good idea or that they would not engage when the air pressure dropped. Sounds like you need to study up on air brake operations. Since it's a loud noise you should be able to find where it's coming from. I would try engage the parking brake several times.

PS: Welcome to the forums.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...