cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better satellite signal finder meter?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have the basic lo-cost Winegard signal finder. When we're in a poor reception location, it's such a PITA to use plus I have no idea what satellite I'm actually picking up.

Is there a better choice in a meter that shows the signal strength on a digital scale and also what satellite you're picking up without costing a fortune? Should be compact if possible too. We're just using one satellite if that makes a difference.
32 REPLIES 32

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just bought a used Birdog USB PLus version 4 meter for a very reasonable price off ebay. Doesn't have a carrying case but that's fine because it's just more bulk to store. Can't wait to try it out.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been looking at Birdog meters and there's some pre-owned ones around for a decent price. Seems simple to use. Not sure about the differences between older and newer models yet.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
I have very good luck with a Digisat III Pro LCD. It is not the high end meter, but will show the strength of a satellite when you are on it. It does not identify the satellite, and sometime I locate the incorrect bird. I don't remember the cost . . . maybe $300 or so. There are better meters, but more expensive.
I go on the satfinder web site and using the zip code I get the elevation and azmith of the bird. then I make sure that my tripod dish is level, and input the directions. To aim dish I use a azimith and elevation locater such as Sunto tandem. I use the meter to fine tune the location.
Works good.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
On Solid Signal the AIM is discontinued. The AIM 15 is $600+. Take that to the bank.

eBay $350
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
On Solid Signal the AIM is discontinued. The AIM 15 is $600+. Take that to the bank.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need only run the VIDEO (Yellow) cable. and you can use RG-59 or RG-6 cable with adapters You don't need audio.. I like the visual better than audio.

You can also get a cheap composit to RF modulator (About 25 bucks US) and run RF to the portable TV (Chan 3/4) same as the old days.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tape the talk switch down on one of the hand held radios and put it by the TV so you can hear the beeping of the built in signal meter.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
I have an AIM meter for DirecTv and a Satellite Buddy for Dish. Both do all of their aiming right at the dish prior to connecting a box or TV and don't require a second set of eyes or hands. Neither one was very difficult to learn how to operate. Unfortunately, each is in the $200-$400 range in the marketplace. If you can justify the price point, you won't be disappointed.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, some great ideas! Never would have thought of using walkie talkies or baby monitor. Have a couple of hardly used walkie talkies in the drawer.

The Bell receiver we have has HDMI, component, composite or S-video outputs and no coax output. We have a little 12" or so TV kicking around at home somewhere so that might work. Would have to lay out a component or composite cable plus plug into 120 volts tho.

A Birdog meter looks like an option but at $300-800 new. Ouch. Used ones are about $150. If I understand how these work, you download the data for your satellite(s) and the display indicates the signal strength of your satellite only so you don't know if you've hit another nearby sat. This might work well along with using the dishpointer app?

An AIM meter won't work since it's only for Direct TV. I need to get Bell HD sat 82.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the best meters out is the Bird Dog, about 1,000 dollars used. but.. You don't need one.

If you have DISH NETWORK your receiver has a menu page "Antenna pointing" this is every bit as good at the Bird Dog and IT IS FREE. well close to it.

You need a battery operatred portable COLOR tv and some coax so you can watch the TV as you post.

DirecTV receivers also have an Antenna Pointing page. not as good as DISH but.. Still darn good.

These not only find the satellites.. but tell you if it is the right one, DISH even tells you if you need to look farther east or west. (Not sure if Direc does that).

I recommend your receiver.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I gave up using my bird dog for a few years back.

There some good tips here if you are doing it single handed.

I found the bird dog to be a pita, mine always hunted the wrong game. :W

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Maybe I didn't make it clear enough. Looking for a signal meter that goes inline with the coax like the Winegard meter does.

Our receiver does work fine for signal strength and sat. no., but I've got to keep running back and forth to see what sat I've hit plus turning the volume up load enough to hear it 25-50' away and not bothering a neighbor in the next site doesn't work too well (I wear hearing aids too which doesn't help).

I often go down to our regular CG in the morning ahead of DW who comes down after work and so do all the setup myself.

Use a wireless baby monitor. Aim the camera at your TV and the built in meter and take the remote outside with you. Much cheaper than a dedicated meter and works like a champ. I have been doing this for years.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just run an extension cord out to where I have placed my tripod mounted dish, and connect the receiver there to align the dish using a 7" portable TV to view the setup app.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
get a wireless baby monitor the ones with camera and monitor screen some of the monitor screens can clip onto your belt and are rechargeable point camera at tv so you can watch the setup screen on the monitor they transmit sound to. video baby monitor there sold at many other stores go look at them. here you go one with 7" screen large screen baby monitor i see that one is not battery powered but it shows they have them in larger screens