Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Living in an RV Park?

ASLnuts
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there!

Not sure where to post this or even if it's the right forum/website to bring it up but -

I'm considering living full-time in an RV park. Not one "out on the road" but rather just an RV park near where I work. Does anyone or has anyone done this before? If so, I'd love to pick your brains and ask questions about what to expect, what kind of travel trailer would be best for my needs, what I should watch out for, and any other helpful information you can share.

I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks so much!
28 REPLIES 28

portablevcb
Explorer
Explorer
We've only been doing FT a year so far, with many years of long term travel.

As you can tell space prices vary a LOT. For example, we want to stay outside Seattle for the summer. If you can find a space, they go for around $1000/month plus electric. We usually end up in the KOA paying by the week ($1200-1500/month including electric). That is the most expensive we have had to put up with. Currently we pay $600/month which includes electric.

Propane depends on the trailer and weather. I went through a 30lb bottle of propane in three days when the lows were in the teens and high was low 30's. During the summer in South Carolina a bottle has lasted us over a month.

Electric is also season and area dependent. Southern NM our power bill was $150/month (running 2 AC all day, $0.14/kwhr).

Also check about tow vehicles. Some parks require you to have a tow vehicle on site that can move your trailer. They also require that MH's be operational. One park explained that it was due to any park maintenance requirements that would require moving the RV. We have been asked to change spaces when they had to dig up a water line to fix a leak.

Trailer. Whatever is comfortable for you. We (wife and I) picked a 35ft bunkhouse model. We use the bunkhouse for our hobbies. It has a workbench with his and her tools (weaving, quilting, modeling, reloading, etc). Also makes a really nice extra storage area.

charlie
2009 Dodge 2500 Double Cab Cummins
2017 Jayco Eagle 29.5BHOK
Me and Wife
Maggie the Old English Sheepdog

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
As a full-timer, I've lived at many RV parks, including mobile home parks that allowed RV's. As long as the owners are agreeable, there shouldn't be a problem. In my case, I got itchy feet staying in one place too long and the wanderlust bug bit. Staying at one location for an extended period will possibly cost less per month than if just paying monthly for a short time.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the park good, might be all empty beer cans and barking dogs.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
It looks like you've gotten a lot of good advice, so I'll be brief. You can save a little living in an RV full-time if you live in a travel trailer with no tow vehicle, but you won't save a lot. You might save about $200 per month, but you'll give up at least half the square footage of an apartment. If your goal is to save money you might look at leasing a room from an individual on Craigslist or AirBnb.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We spent last winter in TX and had nice weather, hardly used any heat, and did have to use the A/C a few times. Had frig and water heater on electric as the cost for propane/electric was a wash. Our average monthly bill was $60.00. We were paying 14/kwh. If it had been summer, I am sure our bill would have been double that per month. We only spent $20 on propane the entire winter.

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
Traver8 is getting you pointed pretty good.

I live in a 5th wheel for work. Same one for the last 10 years. I follow the bigger, longer lasting projects. I can end up in the same area for up to three years at a time. Some projects for as little as a year.

Set up on one project in Port Arthur, TX for 18 months. RV park in Winnie, TX. Rent was $285 a month and included water and electric. They ran a flea market there the first weekend of the month. Most folks there lived there either permanent or semi-permanent. Place was ok. Quiet, enforced the quiet hours. Was pleasant enough.

Down from there to Corpus Christi. Same project, vendor oversight. I was in this place for 19 more months. Stayed at RV Park in Aransas Pass. Really nice place. Ran very professional. Rent was $325 + electric. Electric in summer ran me on average $230 a month. I have two pet cats. A/C runs 24 seven.

My rig at that time had two roof top units. Both 15K units.

Next project in Texas had me Floresville, TX. Very hot summer that year. Small RV park right on the highway with a hotel the owner was remodeling. Nice owner. Bare bones place. Price was $400.00 a month. Water and electric included.

After a yr there project moved me over a series of vendor facilities. I centrally located my RV to a place in La Grange, TX. Small quiet park, some full time residents. Some had MH'sset up in a few spaces. The place was nice and on the Brazos river. Rent was $330 a month plus electric. Electric in the summer (even with plenty of shade) was $300 to $375 a month.

Currently in Phoenix, AZ. Two roof top A/C's and a 8K window unit. Two running 24 seven. (Cats) Rent is $580.00 a month, electric is averaging $320 a month. RV park is ok. Snow birds arriving soon so it will be noisy again.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Traver8 wrote:

1. The trailer condition is most important but the floor plan is very close behind. You need to think about space. If you will be by yourself then a bunkhouse floor plan might not be the best choice. You will be spending a lot of time in this space and it can begin to feel small quickly so think about it and try some different layouts. Keep in mind that you may be watching tv a lot or need a workspace for your laptop etc. Being comfortable is important.

I agree, layout is important.

Actually, we seriously considered a bunk house when were were buying this spring. Typically, there is still a "master" bedroom with a big bed but the bunkhouse makes a great storage area for bulky things and you can close the door and not have to look at it constantly.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
When all your neighbors have torn ragged tarps draped over their rigs and sunporches built of old wooden pallets then you know the deal was not good. We found ourselves in such a place once due to lack of investigation.
The tiny little website showed green areas, abundance of wildlife and nice rv sites.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
If the RV park allows it, you can add skirting to help with wind and cold underneath the camper in the winter.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like you are getting some good feedback so far but I would like to add some of my own. I have been living in my trailer the past 4.5 years for a work situation and believe that I speak from some experience with what you are thinking about.

1. The trailer condition is most important but the floor plan is very close behind. You need to think about space. If you will be by yourself then a bunkhouse floor plan might not be the best choice. You will be spending a lot of time in this space and it can begin to feel small quickly so think about it and try some different layouts. Keep in mind that you may be watching tv a lot or need a workspace for your laptop etc. Being comfortable is important.

2. The park you are considering looks like it is geared toward long term residents and does have some shade. Being in central TX you should not have major issues with weather but I recommend looking for a 15k AC and an enclosed heated underbelly. You will still need some prep for winter freezing temps but overall you should be OK. I use a combination of electric heat and propane as necessary.

3. In my opinion you could use almost any trailer for your plans. I do not think that you need to worry about a "full timing" trailer since you will not be moving around. Just like anything, items will wear from use. Just keep things clean and repaired and you should be fine.

4. Cost - I could not tell if the park has metered electric or not. And did not find their rates for long term so you need to compare against apt costs to be sure of the best choice.

That's a good start. Feel free to PM me if you want or have specific questions.

Terry

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Look at some of the RV parks that have full time units. There are often units for sale in the park. The place we are currently staying has 4 or 5 5th wheels for sale set-up and skirted.
Have a mobile RV tech come and do a thorough inspection and make an offer based on his inspection.
I think it is a great idea, I would do it in a hot minute if I was single. There are a little of nice clean parks with great residents out there.
Jesseannie

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
ASLnuts wrote:

I have a 4-banger truck with a tow limit of 3,500 pounds so will likely have to have a friend tow it for me.

If you don't plan on moving it I would make arrangements for the dealer to deliver it to the space you'll be renting. That lets you get a better built (heavier) trailer. If they want the sale I'm sure they will do it.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

sunlinesunshine
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in our TT in SW Florida from April through August. Ran air conditioner continuously. Electric bill never exceeded 100 dollars per month.
BLT
2004 F250 4X4
2005 SUNLINE T2753
EQUILIZER/ENVOY

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
Like someone mentioned, finding a 4 season trailer is going to be almost impossible with a budget of $5,000.00. The rig I'm living in is a entry level Winnebago Motor Home, and it can be done. If your planning on heating the rig with the onboard furnace good luck. What you need is one of those wave-3 propane ventless heaters. More than likely a 6,000 or 9,000 btu unit. The use a whole lot less propane. As for as the A/C unit you'll need as least a 15,000 btu unit. A 13,500 unit just isn't going to cut it. And a water heater with an electric element. Good luck