Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: AAA pros and cons
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> AAA pros and cons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have AAA insurance and RV+ road service on my small car and Class B Xplorer 230XL. They have towed my RV at least 6 times in 4 states, and done it well. I did get the RV+ to be able to have 100 miles free towing. It has worked well for me at a reasonable price and response time.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Passin' Through wrote:

Yesterday morning as we were preparing to break camp in De Smet, South Dakota I found only 34psi in one of our 5er tires (should be 80psi). I spotted a nail in the sidewall and decided to call AAA to change the tire. I Have a Premium membership to cover the trailer. After 5 minutes on hold, I gave DW the phone and started to get out my jack, etc. Ten minutes later and DW is STILL on hold. I told her to hang up, as it would only take me another ten minutes to finish the job and we could be on our way.

We wondered how long we would have had to wait for AAA to get someone out there to change the tire.

You should have just hung up and tried to call again. Those computer answering systems can get screwed up. Not just for AAA but, any other place you call.

Paul Clancy

BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/17 01:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coach-Net seems to have the best plans for unlimited towing miles and no problem paying for 2 trucks if needed for truck and 5ver. We've got more than our money's worth from them over the years. Btw because they say something (like your cat or dog has to ride in the trailer)doesn't mean the truck operator is going to stick to that... ours didn't or we would have paid someone else.

JimboBillyBob

Trinity, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/17 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In mid-August we were headed to the coast pulling our 30-foot fiver. 90 miles into our trip our tow vehicle had a major breakdown. We have AAA plus RV. Phone rep was very nice, and quickly had a rollback there to take the truck to the nearest dealer, 12 miles away. She continued to hunt for someone to tow the fiver. She found a tow company approx 2 hours later. When it was verified that my truck would take a significant time to be repaired, I asked if I could just have the fiver towed home. She approved the tow (90 miles). When the tow truck arrived (a Kenworth wrecker), he told me that he'd already used 90 of "my miles" in just getting there. Upon arrival at my home, he gave me a bill for $280 to cover 70 miles. I paid the bill and filed a complaint with AAA . They denied my claim, saying that my tow was a convenience tow since there was nothing wrong with the camper.
Also, they say two people can ride with the wrecker. Neither of the two tow vehicles that responded to us had two seats available. Also, dogs cannot ride in the wrecker. They must ride in the vehicle being towed. On one of the hottest days of the year? Ain't gonna happen. AAA Gives good service to the general motorist, but we've found the RV service to be lacking. We've decided that AAA won't get our business again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> AAA pros and cons
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS