Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: AAA pros and cons
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> AAA pros and cons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Chainwright

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many here swear by AAA? could one do without it? Is it a must have? what are some of the Absolute Pros? are there any Cons?
Thanks for sharing.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chainwright wrote:

How many here swear by AAA? could one do without it? Is it a must have? what are some of the Absolute Pros? are there any Cons?
Thanks for sharing.

if you mean for RV road service i think that AAA is vastly inferior to most all other RV road service providers. it's not available in all states; you have to locate, call and pay the service provider and then seek reimbursement. both coach-net and good sam now cover your autos as well.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

1SG

Cloverdale, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of months ago I had a flat on my trailer I was pulling with my motorhome. I couldn't get one of the lug nuts off so I called AAA and once they realized I was pulling the trailer with a motorhome they said they don't cover motorhomes. Thank God I had Coachnet that did cover it and sent repair guy to me.

Paul

Paul & Sandy
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ
'56 Ford Customline Victoria
'62 Chevy Impala SS 409/4spd
U.S. Army Retired
Cloverdale, OR

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have AAA road service for DW's car in the city. This is where AAA is very good.

It does actually covers the person but I have never used AAA when we travel. I do not have the RV coverage so I would probably have to be disconnected for them to assist.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had AAA for our cars. For years and they were fine.

Used them twice for the RV and they were terrible both times. Agent had no clue how a roadside tire truck could install a new tire on my DP.

Switched to Coachnet.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found they were the best deal for motorcycle coverage. Have them for my B, too.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is my breakdown of pros and cons:

AAA - they will come and tow you any time day or night, holidays, etc. It is up to you to determine where to be towed. This means if you are on the road in an unfamiliar area, you may have a hard time identifying a shop that can work on your vehicle.

GS/CN - these companies will tow you once they have contacted a shop and received confirmation that the shop can handle and accept your rig. This means that if you are stuck at night, on a holiday weekend, etc., you could be waiting hours or longer for the actual tow. But they will do all the calling to locate a shop.

Both have their benefits, both have their negatives. For me, I found that for an extra $100 a year, I could have both. That way, if one fails me I can call the other. I've actually had to do that.

One piece of advice, find out what type of tow truck is required by name. When you call, specifically say "I need a Xx tow". In my case, that's a medium duty wrecker. Telling them I need a medium duty wrecker is a lot quicker than just telling them I have a "1975 American Clipper". One time had standard tow truck arrive - the driver suspected he wasn't going to be able to tow my clipper so he had their flatbed tow show up also. Unfortunately, my clipper wouldn't fit the flatbed either. So they had to have the medium duty wrecker show. The next (and last) time I needed a tow, I asked for a "medium duty wrecker" and it went much easier.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I have AAA road service for DW's car in the city. This is where AAA is very good.

It does actually covers the person but I have never used AAA when we travel. I do not have the RV coverage so I would probably have to be disconnected for them to assist.

I used them when I was in Ontario Canada. My rental car had a tire go flat. The rental company said "use roadside service and we'll reimburse you". I used my AAA through CAA and it went very smoothly.

I've also used it while in a friend's car when it broke down. She didn't have any roadside assistance, so I called in with mine. They covered the call.

DwnSth

SE Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have AAA after a couple of negative experiences with g.s. I specifically have the rv add-on. Like that they will tow me where I want. Have used them many times for normal auto coverage also and have always come through relatively quickly. My cost is probably more than the others but I have had good luck in the 30 years I've had AAA minus the year with g.s.

2015 Open Range LT274
2013 F150 Lariat EB S-Crew max tow HD payload

Dave5143

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have AAA with the RV add-on also. They've been a godsend for me.
Last year I had an incident with a frozen wheel bearing on my TT that damaged the axle in Colorado. The wheel was actually coming off the axle. AAA located a towing service with the right kind of flatbed truck needed to carry the TT with tow vehicle. They also located a repair shop to take the rig to in a nearby town. I did have to stay overnight at a hotel so that the tow service could arrange to bring the flatbed out to us. Like I said, it wasn't an ordinary lowboy type trailer.
It took a month for the repair shop to get a replacement axle (Lippert) so we drove home in the Tow Vehicle after dropping off the TT. It was a bad situation but I feel that AAA had our backs on this one.
This year I had trouble with the tire valve stems leaking on two of the tires. AAA came to our rescue both times to change the tires with the spare.
I've gotten my money's worth with AAA.

Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> AAA pros and cons
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS