Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Maximum Driving Length and License
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Maximum Driving Length and License

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
rookie_rv

Rowlett, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rookie RVer here [emoticon] I want to know what the rules / law is regarding maximum driving length, and if specific driver's license required.

After years, and years of begging I finally got permission to upgrade from the family's financial adviser. One idea is to get a toy hauler. The other idea is to get a Class A and a 16ft trailer (hold two ATVs). Do you know if there's a special driver's license requirement for......let's say.......a 30ft Class A towing a 16ft trailer?

Where would I start to research this?

Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rookie_rv wrote:

Rookie RVer here [emoticon] I want to know what the rules / law is regarding maximum driving length, and if specific driver's license required.

After years, and years of begging I finally got permission to upgrade from the family's financial adviser. One idea is to get a toy hauler. The other idea is to get a Class A and a 16ft trailer (hold two ATVs). Do you know if there's a special driver's license requirement for......let's say.......a 30ft Class A towing a 16ft trailer?

check your home state's licensing regulations. my belief is if you're legal in your home state you'll be legal in the other 49 due to reciprocity.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Texas, under 26,000 pound GVWR RV or I believe 10,000 pound trailer, no special license is needed. Above that you need a Class B exempt.

And, yes, licenses have reciprocity-- legal in your home state, legal in all 50. NOT true of speeds, lengths, etc. where each state determines the rules for that state.

Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure the Class A you are considering is capable of pulling the 16' trailer with two ATV's inside. Plus whatever gear you carry in the trailer.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Make sure the Class A you are considering is capable of pulling the 16' trailer with two ATV's inside. Plus whatever gear you carry in the trailer.

excellent point. the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH (based on individual axle weights) as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

- the weight rating of your tow bar

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

65' is the most common max combined length in many states. Some are longer and a few shorter.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
Where am I?
How I spend the winter.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is both accurate and inaccurate information above. This link gives a state-by-state run-down of license requirements:

Requirements by state

For Texas specifically:

Texas requirements.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Wherever we are for however long we stay...

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently got a used A toy hauler......for my CanAm Spyder.....and I would never pull a trailer again.

Was BSing with an RV salesman last week and found out that a class C toy hauler exists with a 13 foot garage section. That's huge.

So apparently they come with "garages" from 9 foot to 13 foot.
MUCH more convenient that pulling a trailer......once you get comfortable with where you can and can't go with a BIG motorhome.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

rookie_rv wrote:

check your home state's licensing regulations. my belief is if you're legal in your home state you'll be legal in the other 49 due to reciprocity.

Your belief is WRONG with regard to things like length, weight, yes.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as stated, if over 26,000 lbs. a special license is required in many states.
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Maximum Driving Length and License
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS