cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Ram 3500 auxiliary fuel tank plumbing??

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have traded off my 06 Ram cummins for a 2016.
I have a tank in box with filtered line to main tank. I can leave the valve open and fill both tanks and there has been no leaking.
Can I do same with this 2016??
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
22 REPLIES 22

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well now on my second time with a head of fuel in auxiliary tank I have a leak.
First time it didn't.
I just pulled off the wheel and wheel well so as to ascertain where it's running from. It's leaking right from the top where that green plastic is.
It's as if the second flapper is not sealing and so it fills into the top wider compartment. The first flapper most be stopping it from coming out of the fill cap or else my dust cap is sealing it. Didn't pull it off.

The only place it's leaking from is high inside of the fender. So ??

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
How did you cut into metal filler tube and prevent filings from getting into tank.
My installer pushed a rag down below where he cut and then pulled it out to catch any shavings.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
How did you cut into metal filler tube and prevent filings from getting into tank.

Cumminalong
Explorer
Explorer
Put a 200L aluminum round saddle tank,used take off highway truck in the box,tapped into the filler pipe,tap,filter,good to go.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 45 gallon RDS tank in my RAM. I purchased an "instal" kit from RDS, it's essentially a "T" that you cut into the fill tube of the truck. By cutting into the fill tube there's no reason to mess with the vent tube. Clamp both sides, connect the tubing from the "T" to the bed tank valve through the bed and you're good to go. I haven't experienced any troubles with this set up either. Before the '15 I had the tank in our '06 RAM.

Dan

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
So you men who have done this on a 16 Ram how have you tapped into the breather or fill pipes. On my 06 the breather hose was rubber and that is where I teed into.
On this truck it looks like a steel line.

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Run a 95 gallon gravity fed tank in my 2016 Ram, no issues, works fine.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I did a bit more research and found the Wix 33003 which is compatible with gravity flow diesel and got one of those. Thanks.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
That will work 143. But make sure to install in the line an inline filter of no less than 3 micron.
The one I use was used in GM 6.5 trucks I understand. It has a threaded fitting at both ends so you can fit barbs on for the hose. I'm on the road right now but when I get home could post the part number.

Thank you for the suggestion. I was talking with a friend of mine about this today. I will give it a go at trying to find it.

Edit: Found it, but will a filter that size gravity feed?
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't remember if this is it for sure but it is like this.
Hastings GF 136.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
That will work 143. But make sure to install in the line an inline filter of no less than 3 micron.
The one I use was used in GM 6.5 trucks I understand. It has a threaded fitting at both ends so you can fit barbs on for the hose. I'm on the road right now but when I get home could post the part number.

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I know I don't own a Dodge, but this topic caught my eye and interest. I just put in a new auxiliary tank yesterday in my 6.7. I had toyed with the idea of a Titan tank, but too much money for the extra storage you are getting, so I bought an aluminum one from Pickup Specialties. It is a 51 gallon upright tank. I too wondered if the auxiliary, if left open, would overflow my main tank. So I found a 12v 3/8" electric solenoid on Ebay from valves4projects and installed it. I put on a brass ball valve first then put the solenoid after it. Ran a wire to my upfitter swtich(a simple toggle would do well) so I can now leave the ball valve open and flip a witch to open the solenoid and fill the OEM tank. A little redundant, but a little more peace of mind I guess.
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should also add. You do not need to spend a fortune on a extra tank. I've installed in my own trucks and a few for others, combine tanks. Massy, Gleaner etc.
Combine salvage my source.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have to say sorry again Grit for not getting back to you about speed of filling oe tank. I used a 1/2 inch hose and yes it is slow. I'll fill tank in box. Go have coffee etc. Go back and fill tank in box once truck oe tank is full if I want to have it all topped up.
One really big reason I love this set up is that all fuel is pre filtered. Change injectors once because of the dirt and water they sell us and you will be convinced.

Don't know why but I have "notifications" checked here but I don't get them??