cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HELP Sprinter Battery

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to unlock 2008 Sprinter door and it wouldn't open. I then used the key to open door. I tried the key in the ignition and it would NOT turn. I checked battery voltage and it was nearly DEAD. 1.45 volts.
I put the charger on it but key will turn ignition.
I need to get this under a shelter with the BAD winds coming tonight.
Any help is appreciated. I guess wait untill the battery is charged more?????????????
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)
19 REPLIES 19

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
OK, #1
Yellow ESP, ABS, Tire and Red brake light on = EBV has been deactivated due to low voltage. Rear wheels could lock up. Consult dealer. I had a dead battery but the light remains on.

#2 Just the red brake light on = Insufficient brake fluid in reservoir. DO NOT add fluid and consult Dealer.
Since the battery is charged I imagine it is related to #2.
I'm 60-70 miles from a Dealer. Is there a way for my to solve this?
Thanks, Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE--I disconnected the battery 3-4 days ago and today got 12.87 volts with my meter. I haven't re-connected the battery to see if it cranks and runs.
I wasn't aware of the parasitic draw nor was I aware of the battery disconnect switch.

I'll check out the E-brake switch.
Any other thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated.
Marvin
PS, I will also check the owners manual for the light meanings.
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the word BRAKE showing, on the earlier Sprinters, that means the fluid level is low. The emergency/parking brake warning light is different. Read the owners manual.

You have a battery ground disconnect up above the accelerator pedal, under the dash, when storing the RV for more than a couple of days, disconnect this, as the NCV3 Sprinters such as yours, are very prone to killing the chassis battery very quickly, lots of vampire draw in these vehicles.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
MB puts E brake switch right at the release lever. That is where I would start.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I will try your suggestions.

Yes it's the red brake light to alert the emergency brake is on. It will NOT go off with E brake released.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

MrWizard
pull the negative/ground cable on the battery
charge the battery
let it set for a couple of days and check it

all of a sudden it goes dead, and then dead again after charging
sounds like it might be a bad cell in the battery

low voltage on the vehicle CPU can create false error codes
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Battery Disconnect is USUALLY only related to your Coach/House Battery. It's there to keep things that are on full time, such as LPG and CO detectors, from running that battery down in storage. At least on our coach, the House Batter CAN be Off while the shore tie is plugged in or generator is running. Is this "Brake" light a warning light on your instrument panel? Same as the light that stays on till you release the parking brake? On some vehicles, there's a Front/Rear equalizing valve, and that light comes on if a leak or something else has caused unequal pressures between front and rear.

Have you plugged something in to your OBD2 test port, or one of the "Power Outlets" and left it in?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I can't post pictures now.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I'll take a picture---Brake is RED-Engine is yellow.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Can you post a picture of the mentioned lights?
I am very familiar with MB sedans, but Sprinter is a bit different animal.
MB has separate light for glow plugs, while engine symbol = CEL means engine/emission code.
Yellow brake light on cluster is pad sensor, red brake light means something bad with the system.
Standard OBD scanner should read CEL code, while reading Mercedes specific codes require very expensive scanners.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
OK, back to the drawing board. I took the charger off for two days and had a dead battery again. Jumped with pickup, turned it around, and put the charger back on.
Note a couple of things.
1. The engine symbol is on and the Sprinter dealer said it was because of two glow plugs not working. No problem as it still cranked and ran OK at the time.
2. Now I see the Brake light is on but not having any problem with brakes.
I'm not sure where to start trouble shooting except to loosen the Negative cable and check for sparks and removing one FUSE at a time.
Your thoughts please and note the dealer is too far away. My local Mechanic doesn't have the Mercedes codes in his OBDII tester.
Marvin
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all----I have no idea what caused the decline in voltage. It has sat longer at times and still cranked fine.
I will leave the trickle charger on it until the storm passes.
Not sure I understand the purpose of the battery disconnect switch. It is a momentary switch and each time I click it the green light stays on. This could be because I have it plugged into House, 30 amp circuit.
Marvin
PS, The reason I needed it cranked was to place heavy boards on the carport bottom rails and park the RV on one side and My heavy pickup on the other side.
This is so when Irma visits she wont take my CP home with her.
Marvin

1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks and pardon my stupidity.
Marvin

Sir, honesty is never stupid. Bluffing or criticizing others personally counts as being stupid.

Tip: Disconnect your battery for now, and deal with it after the storm blows through. Staying safe is job 1.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
question what drained the battery.