Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Roll call Tuktoyaktuk NWT 2018
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roll call Tuktoyaktuk NWT 2018

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
h45wt

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been pondering that trip as well but I think I'd rather go late August/early September. Been spending a month or two in the AK interior almost every year for the last 30 years. Did the haul road once but never made it up the Dempster. Was in Dawson City the year of the road anniversay (25 years I think) but didn't have time to detour to Inuvik. Have several friends that did the Dempster but always late summer, never mid summer.

SideHillSoup wrote:

Next summer we are taking our rig up to Tuktoyaktuk NWT on the new Hwy that will join Tuk to Inuvik and the rest of the world.
When the Dempster Hwy (Yukon Highway 5 and Northwest Territories Highway 8) with the added 120 km ( 75 miles ) of road between Inuvik and Tuk are completely finished this fall it will be "about" 860km ( 535 miles) of gravel road, ...Yeehaw....
From where I live in BC that's about 4000km one way ( 2485 miles)

Hwy to Tuktoyaktuk NWT

Soup.

03 Chevy 3500 LT DRW D/A CC LB 4x4
03 Lance 1130

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/17 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

We will be heading up just after July 4th, 2018 from Southern California.

Does anybody want to try to meet up and caravan the road?

Sorry we are travel solo, we are to spontaneous with our day to day activities. Some days we don't even move we just light a campfire grab a good book and kick back.
However if you see up up the Dempster, stop by our fire and have a cool refreshment ( non kid type [emoticon] )
Like I said we will most likely hit the Dempster part of the trip about the beginning of July give or take a week or two.
We first plan on heading over to Vancouver island, catch the BC Ferry up to Prince Rupert then go visit where my wife was raised in Stewart BC ( next door to Hyder Alaska) , then head north.
We are thinking July 1st through 4th in Stewart / Hyder ( Canada day July 1st and then July 4th in Hyder) wife said it used to be a lot of fun, those four days back in the 60's and 70's.
So 9 months away; that's the plan so far..... but things can change.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

NGaMountains

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/17 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

We will be heading up just after July 4th, 2018 from Southern California.

Does anybody want to try to meet up and caravan the road?

That could be something we'd be interested in, but until our daughter graduates high school our summer travel timeframe will be earlier than that, and I'm sure earlier than optimal considering summer thaw timing in the extreme northern areas. Down here in GA they are starting school around August 1 these days, and before that she has two full weeks of marching band camp, so our travel window is from roughly Memorial Day until mid-July, needing to be back in metro Atlanta at that time.

2017 Ford F-350 4WD Super Cab 6.2L Gas DRW
2014 Bigfoot 25C10.4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Roll call Tuktoyaktuk NWT 2018
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS