cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bahia Honda SP

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Have to think it will be in bad shape. It was just outside the eye wall, and on the wildest side of it.

I also wonder how the Keys Deer Sanctuary held up.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
20 REPLIES 20

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
I have reservations at John Pennekamp for next April. Hopefully by then the park will be open, I would love to add some $$$ to the local economy to help them out. Luckily where I live in Estero we only had minor structural damage with some flooding and a lot of downed trees and limbs. I think the snowbirds that head down for the winter might want to start getting some other plans in place.

I think you will be alright, I'm face book friends with the people that runs the concession stands and the store and they put out that they made out quite well.

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
NanciL wrote:
We are leaving tomorrow to head down to our one year old forty foot travel trailer that is in Key Largo to salvage what we can.
I have already been told that there is no external damage thanks to my hurricane tie downs, but I am assuming that it is totaled since the ocean surge went right through it.

Our "tupper ware" dock box with a brand new washer and dryer which was behind it blew right over. That also had hurricane tie downs and they were pulled right out of the ground. I can only guess what the wind force was that did that.

Our brand new 4' x 6' porch and steps all made out of 2" x 6"s which had six 4" x4" legs in concrete deck blocks is about a hundred yards away. It is completely intact. Visualize what the surge current must have been like.
I'll need some sort of front end loader to get that back to our place.

Jack L

Sorry to hear that, prayers are with you

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
Closer to where I live, Edisto Beach campground had their electrical system damaged from storm surge a year ago during Hurricane Matthew. They just recently reopened the campground and then had it damaged again from Irma's storm surge. I know Bahia Honda had a storm surge with Irma. Is it likely their electrical system in the Buttonwood campground was damaged? I have camping reservations there in Buttonwood for next June. In previous hurricanes there with storm surges, did the campground's electrical system get damaged? If so how long did it take them to repair it and get portions of the park open again?

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I have reservations at John Pennekamp for next April. Hopefully by then the park will be open, I would love to add some $$$ to the local economy to help them out. Luckily where I live in Estero we only had minor structural damage with some flooding and a lot of downed trees and limbs. I think the snowbirds that head down for the winter might want to start getting some other plans in place.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are leaving tomorrow to head down to our one year old forty foot travel trailer that is in Key Largo to salvage what we can.
I have already been told that there is no external damage thanks to my hurricane tie downs, but I am assuming that it is totaled since the ocean surge went right through it.

Our "tupper ware" dock box with a brand new washer and dryer which was behind it blew right over. That also had hurricane tie downs and they were pulled right out of the ground. I can only guess what the wind force was that did that.

Our brand new 4' x 6' porch and steps all made out of 2" x 6"s which had six 4" x4" legs in concrete deck blocks is about a hundred yards away. It is completely intact. Visualize what the surge current must have been like.
I'll need some sort of front end loader to get that back to our place.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
The above photos are from Sandspur campground. A campground for smaller vehicles and tents. Same thing in the last hurricane, Sandspur was closed for a couple of years. Not the same for the Buttonwood or the rest of the park.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
plasticmaster wrote:
https//storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

This is aerial photos post Irma. Bahia Honda looks really bad, but most of the structures appear to remain intact. Nature center is missing part of roof/shingles. There's one lone camper in Buttonwood campground. Hopefully they can get it cleaned up soon. Also, praying the folks that live in Keys can get their lives back in order.

Here you go.

Before

After
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
https//storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html

This is aerial photos post Irma. Bahia Honda looks really bad, but most of the structures appear to remain intact. Nature center is missing part of roof/shingles. There's one lone camper in Buttonwood campground. Hopefully they can get it cleaned up soon. Also, praying the folks that live in Keys can get their lives back in order.

FloridaReLoaded
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't count on Bahia Honda opening this year, maybe not even next year. It's a apocalyptic scene from what Ive been told.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
I think if I was NCwriter, I would leave my plans alone for now but would be making other plans and reservations elsewhere in the meantime, just in case. I would bet State Park cleanup / reopening and other recreational amenities are low on the State of Florida's pecking order.

The Keys are fairly wiped out. Long Key State Park, my favorite, was closing in October anyway for some more work. Erosion has shortened the site lengths in recent years. We would have been there during the last week. Now I wonder if it will ever reopen.

We'll probably just stay home and use the time and money to keep working on up updating our bathrooms, already in progress. The whole state got hit so it won't be very good timing for camping anywhere. Anxious to find out if Turtle Beach County campground on Siesta Key near our home has survived.

Camsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
I think if I was NCwriter, I would leave my plans alone for now but would be making other plans and reservations elsewhere in the meantime, just in case. I would bet State Park cleanup / reopening and other recreational amenities are low on the State of Florida's pecking order.

That's what we did, we didn't cancel our Myrtle Beach/Anastasia State park plans yet, but also made reservations at Gulf State Park in Alabama just in case.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I'd be surprised if the Keys don't vanish....

Hurricane Andrew crossed the Keys with 130 MPH winds in 1992. The Keys will survive Irma as well. Not all of the buildings and trees of course, but the Key aren't going anywhere.

X2!
Florida and the Residents of the Keys are a hardy bunch, I think the Over Seas Highway will be open within days and the keys will be headed back to normal very soon.
October is a long time from now in Key's recovery time.

In 2005 we drove down to Key West from Ft.Lauderdale less than a week after Wilma. While there were large piles of debris stacked along the way almost all business were open, and the same for Key West.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We had reservations for a great October trip this year: all four of the Keys state parks, and for Turtle Beach on Siesta Key in Sarasota.

I have a feeling Irma cancelled the trip.